collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Heating to reshape warped playsets? Have you tried it?  (Read 362 times)

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
Heating to reshape warped playsets? Have you tried it?
« on: January 09, 2015, 02:55:20 PM »
I got Twilight Sparkle's G4 FiM castle/slide playset second hand (nice!) and the top balcony piece is warped. It won't fit on all the 6 column pieces and the slot for the upper "tower" won't go in. The top balcony piece seems like it got pushed out a bit.

Link:
The part that's warped is the top floor- it's purple with the yellow railing. Everything else can be detached from it. I'm a little concerned because the decorative yellow railing is not the hard plastic- it's a softer material and is not removable.

I know some people have played with heating and manipulating the G1 playsets. Has anybody done this with any luck? Does it even work? How hot do you turn the oven? How long do you keep it in? How malleable does it become?

What do you all think?

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Heating to reshape warped playsets? Have you tried it?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 03:37:51 PM »
I know that bent pony legs and horns can be fixed with application of heat. You could try dunking the piece in boiled water or running it under a hair dryer for a few minutes, then taking it while still hot, bending it the way you want it to and clipping it into place. Bent ponies are small enough to be put into the freezer to set the shape but the castle is a bit big for that, it should be alright if you just left it to cool down at room temperature though. :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 05:25:06 PM »
I have fixed some old playsets with a hair dryer in the past but they only needed minimal work. Heated, reshaped gently. put in place and then straight away popped a bag of ice or frozen veg on the part being fixed. Its always worked so far :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 05:32:18 PM »
Thanks guys and gals!  I wouldn't have thought to do the freezer or ice.  I might start with the hair dryer and then move to boiling water and see how that goes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal