collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Were you collecting online in the late 90s? Nostalgia!  (Read 8668 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Were you collecting online in the late 90s? Nostalgia!
« on: January 06, 2015, 11:17:27 PM »
I've been thinking lately about how much has changed since I first started collecting ponies in earnest (in 1997, at the tender age of 10 or so!) I can remember certain websites that aren't around anymore, and certain ponies that didn't keep their value! And sometimes I'm not certain whether my memories are getting a little mixed up, because that was a long time ago! Who else wants to reminisce with me?

Do you remember when. . .

. . . you bought from another collector the safest way was to send them a money order?

. . . some of the most sought-after and expensive ponies were Lil' Tot, Hollywood, non-BBE UK and German babies, Mimic (some things never change, lol!), and flutters with wings?

. . . most later-year ponies very popular today were virtually ignored? (like Sweetheart Sisters, Secret Surprise ponies, perfume puff ponies, mermaid babies)

. . . ponies seemed so much cheaper????

. . . Dream Valley was the go-to website for pony identification? And it had pony backcards instead of photographs to help you identify ponies? (Dream Valley will always have a special place for me because it was so instrumental in helping me ID my ponies.)

. . . you bid on an auction, you had to keep refreshing your browser to make sure you weren't outbid? (don't miss that any)

. . . Ebay auctions were not required to have a photo, and it usually wasn't shown in the main listing?

. . . most Nirvana ponies were unknown? (I still feel like a time traveler coming to another century as I learn about all the pony variations from other countries)

. . . it wasn't ridiculously rare to find a pony in a thrift store? (G1, of course!)

. . . Moondancer's Dream was around? Lady Moondancer's website had a huge impact on me, if only because of her awesome fanfiction.

. . . and who else remembers High Queen Tiffany? I'll be quite interested if anyone does. She ran a website called the Ice Palace (I think?) and resigned because of all the flamers and hecklers.

If you were online in the late 90s or early 2000s, what do you remember?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Were you collecting online in the late 90s? Nostalgia!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 11:51:33 PM »
I was reading along and I saw my name, ahhhhhhh!  Hi there!!

HQT ran Dream Castle website and I still have one of her fanfictions saved on my computer (the one about the fairy tale princesses), and I wish I'd saved the other one about Lord Dale.  The Ice Palace was run by . . . IceFeather, I want to say?  I think she also ran the Church of the Holy MOC Mimic, which was hilarious.

I get really nostalgic about those early days.  <3   And YES, Dream Valley when it still had backcards, ahhhh man I POURED over those backcards.  So many ponies I'd never heard of before!

Remember the Ponypeople mailing list? 

Remember when the Trading Post was black and hot pink?

Remember when you traded by going to someone's website, looking at their want list / sale list, emailing them, and they would provide you references (which were other people's email addys)?

Remember when you had to send cash if you were buying ponies from someone not in your own country?

Remember when you could leave eBay feedback for ANYONE, regardless of whether you'd bought / sold from them ON eBay?  (It wasn't abused as much as you'd think!)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 12:12:11 AM »
I didn't start buying ponies online until the mid to late 2000s (considering my age I had help  :P) but in the early 2000s I loved looking at Dream Valley and trying to ID the few ponies I had. <3 The sites I miss most are actually customizer sites... Lady Minty's Customs *cries* I wish there was an archive somewhere of ALL her photos... I was fortunate enough to obtain one of her customs. There was also another site, 7belles I think..? I have one of her creations too and I really wish all those gorgeous photos of customs still existed...

... remember when you could search my little pony and not be assaulted by FIM? I'm sorry, it's just impossible at times to find anything pre-G4.  I really wish I could have been born earlier and experienced the oldest generations while they were new. At least my sister can tell me about it.  :)

Definitely following this thread to read all your stories!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 12:26:10 AM »
Yes yes yes! I joined the TP in 1996 I think!
I remember all of the above!

Remember: ivys chat? Pony people email list? The dream castle mailing list? Dream castle chat parties? AOL instant messenger?

When baby apple jack and co were discovered and they sold for so much?! I bought a baby bow tie for $70.

Pinwheel and her blinkes?! I still see some to this day on this board and get all nostalgic.

When argie flutterbye was prettybow?

Pony paloza and the unveiling of the Delaneys dream collection?

The pink and blank trading post? And when it reformatted it was so crazy to navigate!

I remember bidding on ebay auctions without pictures! It was always a huge surprise or big let down getting fakies or some cool htf ponies! "My little pony horses lot of 7 pretty hair! Some unicorns!" And we can't forget yahoo auctions!

The days where there would only be 3 or 4 pages of ponies on ebay versus 100s.

The g2 launch controversy.

When people were still finding old stock of g1s at toys r us and white elephant stores?

So many more!
Shout out to some old Pony peeps! Say hi if you're still around!
Katja lahti, garej, JLM, pone, pinwheel, abasca, thunderwing, glitzy, duckie, wildfirechiefsgirl, Baby berry town, baby_katie, jentutu, buckbuddy, saturn cyan, roswita, etoileblue, valeofspring, and so many more!!

Post Merge: January 07, 2015, 12:28:56 AM

Yes yes yes!
I remember all of the above!

Remember: ivys chat? Pony people email list? The dream castle mailing list? Dream castle chat parties? AOL instant messenger?

When baby apple jack and co were discovered and they sold for so much?! I bought a baby bow tie for $70.

Pinwheel and her blinkes?! I still see some to this day on this board and get all nostalgic.

When argie flutterbye was prettybow?

Pony paloza and the unveiling of the Delaneys dream collection?

The pink and blank trading post? And when it reformatted it was so crazy to navigate!

I remember bidding on ebay auctions without pictures! It was always a huge surprise or big let down getting fakies or some cool htf ponies! "My little pony horses lot of 7 pretty hair! Some unicorns!" And we can't forget yahoo auctions!

The days where there would only be 3 or 4 pages of ponies on ebay versus 100s.

The g2 launch controversy.

When people were still finding old stock of g1s at toys r us and white elephant stores?

So many more!
Shout out to some old Pony peeps! Say hi if you're still around!
Katja lahti, garej, JLM, pone, pinwheel, abasca, thunderwing, glitzy, duckie, wildfirechiefsgirl, Baby berry town, baby_katie, jentutu, buckbuddy, saturn cyan, roswita, etoileblue, valeofspring, and so many more!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:28:56 AM by Mermaid »
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 12:30:24 AM »
I was a kid in the 90's, and we had dialup, so it was hard to collect/buy toys online! For me I always rode my bike or walked up to walmart or dollar general for toys.When I did get online it was for neopets mostly LOL. Oooooh but I do remember G1s being waaaay more common in the 90s in thrift stores!

[edit for content ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:49:50 PM by hathorcat »

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • ♫ Portugal - Walk The Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 02:33:08 AM »
Was born in 1993 so...  :P My earliest memory of a MLP were the G2 ones. Must be interesting to be a collector in the 90s though!

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 02:37:41 AM »
I have been in the community since waaay back in 1996.  I even attended Ponypalooza 2000.  I saw the Delaney's collection in person, and boy did it live up to the hype!  I bought a bunch of stuff from them too.  At one point they were selling MIB ponies(Dance 'n Prance, Baby Ponies and Pretty Pals, etc) for like $18-$20 each.

I remember High Queen Tiffany's site, and a lot of the other wonderful sites long gone.  Icefeather's site is archived on the Wayback Machine, but you need to have the *exact* URL to access it, and some bits and pieces are missing.

I remember when the German Babies pulled in the big bucks:p  I paid $295 for my Baby Cherries Jubilee, and that was a bargain at the time!  I also remember when you could pretty easily pick up a Mimic for $30-$40, and Rapunzel sold for under $100.

I remember the first time anybody saw the Greek ponies.  I remember that summer when the market was flooded with MIB Greeks, and you could easily get a MIB Baby Minty for $100.

I remember when the Piggy ponies were first discovered and everybody thought they were fakies.  I remember someone said they paid some ridiculously cheap price for one(like $20 or something), and everybody thought that person was crazy for wasting their money.  Then somebody found one MIP, and then that $20 didn't seem so stupid anymore.

I remember the Ponypeople mailing list.  I even ran my own mailing list for a while for accessory collectors:p

I remember the "Shadow Wars" that happened when the G2s came out.  I remember all those "love all ponies!" banners that people had to try to stop the flame war:p

Most of all, I remember all my old pony friends.  Taffeta, UK Milkyway, TicTacToe, Lady Twilight...I miss seeing them around the boards and chatting with them through emails:( 

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 04:35:48 AM »
Maaaaan, flashbacks!! I was still pretty young in the 90s, which was why I didn't interact too much, I just read all of the websites! I printed out the entirety of Dream Valley's pony pages, which I studied obsessively and made into a sort of collector's guide for myself! I looked up which ponies I remembered from a friend's childhood herd, and planned out which ponies I needed to get on eBay to "complete" my collection... little did I know how addictive THAT would turn out to be! :P

I remember following the MLP webring from site to site, reading about EvilDeadPony, and so many beautiful customizers', fanart and adoptie sites!

I do have a question for all of you; does anyone remember a customizer by the name of Unicorn, or something like that? She made customs, and her specialty was giving them micro-beaded hair. I remember her so clearly because she offered commissions (something amazing to me at the time!) and I remember wanting one of her beaded-hair ponies a lot! I'd be curious if anyone could find her website, or even just a photo of her customs for me! I had it bookmarked, but I lost it about a hundred computers ago...
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 05:14:05 AM »
Wow I didn't even have the internet until 2007 :lol: I was in my late teens in 1997 yet I didn't even know the internet existed :blush: *is a noob*
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 05:45:38 AM »
It's neat to hear all of your stories! Unfortunately, in the late 90s I wasn't into MLP. I was into the whole Beanie Baby fad at that time. Although even still I don't think I ever got my hands on anything rare.  :sad:

I just had to buy the G4 MLP Beanie Babies as a commemoration of my Beanie Baby fad way back in the day!

I didn't even hear of MLP until 2004, believe it or not. And then all I really knew it for was G3.

|My Collection|

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 06:11:06 AM »
Baby lofty's song site,
As a kid I'd record theose songs on to a casset tape from the computer.

Dream valley,
Was the go to place for just about anything.
I spent time reading the episodes movies ect.

Ring of rainbows..

Pony topia
That was the go to G3 website. For the news. I checked it everyday when I was a G3 collector.

I do recall Hasbros offical web site and the cotton candy behind a tree, with a comming Soon logo.

:accomplished:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 07:48:05 AM »
Remember when Dream Valley had a "song of the week" from the cartoons on the website?  I remember one song which was apparently cut from some versions of "The Glass Princess", which I have never heard since.  "Hurry, hurry, there's no time to waste!  We all have to scurry--hurry!" or something like that.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 07:50:48 AM »
I remember buying ponies on Yahoo Auctions in the early 2000s XD

And any pony sites would take forever to load. No quick ID searches then!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 07:59:20 AM »
Back in the day, whoohoo.

Yea, I was around starting in 96 or 97; the whole reason I got online was because I met a fellow collector at a flea market. We just happened to be looking at the same bunch of ponies and we struck up a conversation about ponies. It was really the first person besides my cousin who I had ever met that also liked MLP and collected them. She told me that people are online and that I could find ponies I didn't have. So, whole reason I got online was because of advice from another collector.

If I remember rightly she also attended Pony Polooza, I think she went by baby abacus - I attended both Polooza. Good times!

Dream Valley chat was a great place to be able to chat with other collectors. I remember getting on early just so I could chat with people in England and other countries.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline daisyd

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Daisy's Crazy Crafts
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 08:04:09 AM »
It wasn't around in the 90's (I don't think?) but the first pony website I ever joined was the My Little Pony Playhouse. The good old days <3 It closed down ages ago *sad*
Thank you *wyvernchick* for my lovely avvie!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal