collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are Ugg boots worth the money?  (Read 4651 times)

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
Re: Are Ugg boots worth the money?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 02:07:38 AM »
I personally wouldn't buy a pair due to them being made from sheepskin however if you really want to buy them then it's your money at the end of the day. I did have a knockoff pair once made out of faux materials and they were okay but they eventually wore down on the soles and became unwearab!e.

Isn't it better that they use sheep skin? That way sheep other parts won't get in waisted after people have take the meat and wool. Every part is used and nothing wasted. (yes sounds cruel but better than throwing away)

Worth every penny. If you tread them nice uggs will serve you many years :).

I'm a vegetarian so I disagree with that part too :p
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 03:07:49 AM »
If you are going to buy a pair, make sure they are proper sheep skin and not a faux material, fake ones just don't hold up like the real deal. I understand that some people are against animal products, but sheep skin is from animals bred for their meat, it would be awesome if we could all become vegan, but frankly I like bacon too much.

If you get a genuine pair, totally worth the money. I really want a new pair, I had a proper pair and never updated them, I currently have a faux pair that are crap.

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 08:57:15 AM »
I do hope you don't intend to use them as "winter boots" to wear in snow and slush.   >_<  One of my biggest pet peeves living in Minnesota in the winter is seeing all these young women walking around on campus wearing leggings and Uggs.  Uggs are essentially slippers - they're not meant to be used as rugged outdoor weather boots.  I can understand wearing them in nicer weather for activities like shopping, etc.  But for traveling by foot around slushy, wet city streets/college campuses/etc.?  Absolutely not!  It sort of amuses me that these gals pay $200 for a pair of "boots" only to totally damage and stain them to kingdom come from all the snow, ice, salt and other chemicals used on streets and sidewalks during the winter.   :blink:

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
I thought that uggs deform quickly and are bad for posture or feet. Maybe those people I heard it from had fakes? I've recently bought fake ugg slippers from H&M and I love them, though!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 11:30:01 AM »
I couldn't fathom spending $200 on boots...
Boots don't make it through more then a few winters here, copious amounts of slush and salt...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »
I don't wear mine in the winter when there is snow, slush or rain. There is no way would want them to get ruined by wearing them in cruddy weather. I believe on their website that it states they aren't for wear in the snow or for extended periods of time. I think they make great spring/fall boots.

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »
I never saw the allure of Uggs...  seemed like overpriced fluff. If you're looking for a REAL winter boot, there's nothing better than Sorel. This is coming from someone who walks outside at -40 and needs her boots 7 months a year. Sorels keep your feet warm and dry, and things like slush and salt don't affect them. My Sorel's are going on 5 years now and still look new.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 12:01:43 PM »
Yeah, it doesn't seem logical to wear them in the winter anyway.  I don't know anyone who owns a pair who wears them when it starts snowing.  :lol:

I have a pair of boots for the snow, but I've been wanting a cute, simple pair of boots that won't fall apart easily.  I made the mistake of purchasing a cheap pair of boots that only lasted me one winter, and I only wore them when I went to work. :mad: I may look into Bearpaws, though.  From the sounds of it, they're basically the same thing but cheaper (not too cheap, though)?
Instagram / Want List

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »
We keep our house at 60 degrees all winter and with hardwood/tile and linoleum floors it makes good slippers a necessity, cause the floors, they are cold!  That's how I use mine.  Granted I do wear them outside when I take the dog out, but I don't use them for extended tromping through snow, etc.  Also I sprayed the bejeezus out of them with the sealer you can buy with them, works wonderfully!

squishy turdl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »
There are so many other synthetic options that no one had to die for and are not so hard on the wallet.

Because, any way you want to dress it up..  that is exactly what they are, dead skin and wool from an once living breathing animal.

I like to believe that most pony collectors are animal lovers too, so I think you're best option is to look elsewhere for keeping your feet warm and cosy.

Post Merge: December 15, 2014, 12:27:15 PM

Here is a really great video from P!nk about exactly what happens to sheep who are used for making ugg boots..

It may be uncomfortable, so just a warning.

However, the truth is usually quite uncomfortable and this way you and other posters have all the correct information so you can make the best choice for you.

*link removed - all links posted must be arena appropriate -kkat*

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:25:54 PM by kaoskat »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
Adore all my Uggs :heart: I could not do winter without them! For me they are worth the money - they last for ages and they are cute!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 04:44:52 PM »
There are so many other synthetic options that no one had to die for and are not so hard on the wallet.

Because, any way you want to dress it up..  that is exactly what they are, dead skin and wool from an once living breathing animal.
Remember kids, meat is murder.
Tasty, tasty murder.

While yes many animals are slaughtered for their pelts, if you have to kill a sheep in order get its wool, you're doing it wrong:haha:

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »
I have a pair of the Bailey Button ones and I love them! They are super comfy and warm. I only wear them in fall/spring and never when it rains or snows! Mine look brand new as I used the sealer spray on them and keep them dry :) They are absolutely worth the money! I got mine as a Christmas gift from my parents xD I have a friend who has the cardigan pair and says they are comfy but nearly as warm as the regular sheepskin ones :)

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 06:59:29 PM »
I finally picked up a pair when we were in Australia in October (so they should be "real" ones, at least I hope so) and I paid AUD $95 for them.  Worth every penny in my opinion, I love mine. My husband has had a pair for almost 6 years now and they are still going strong!

Well did some research and it turns out mine are fakes! Oh well.  They are Ozwear "Uggs" not the real ones, which is why they were a lot cheaper.  They are still really nice though.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 11:31:06 PM »
All right, I was trying to avoid this warning but it seems I'm going to need it. This is not a thread for arguing about animal rights. Please stick to the topic of the thread.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal