collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Have you read any books this past year?

No, I haven't read a single book in the last year
45 (12.4%)
Yes, just one
25 (6.9%)
Yes, between two and four
74 (20.4%)
Yes, between five and nine
68 (18.8%)
Yes, between ten and twenty
55 (15.2%)
Yes, more than twenty
95 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 295

Author Topic: 'Tis the season to be reading  (Read 6031 times)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tis the season to be reading
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »
This thread just popped up and I find that interesting considering what I've been watching on TV. I am watching an episode of Hoarding in which this couple has over 200,000 books in their house. I thought their house was sort of a goldmine. I love bookshelves and bookshelves full of books. But yeah, what's the point in having that many? You couldn't even read them all in your lifetime. But still.....I love a nice full bookshelf.

Sadly, video games have taken priority over books. I know, that must be blasphemy to some! But I will bounce back to books eventually.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

koteuku

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2014, 03:59:45 AM »
I'm not sure if I read a whole actual book, well none I could think of anyway, but I read a lot of manga if that counts. 8D

nemonona

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2014, 08:46:59 AM »
I'm not sure if I've read any books this year. I think I read one. It makes me kind of sad; I use to read so much before when I could just go to the school library.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2014, 05:10:30 AM »
Ooh I love books and reading!  :frolic:   I'd say I've read.. ahem.. waaay over 20 but I haven't kept an actual count. I'm a speed reader  (not on purpose.. I just read fast )  so I get through a lot  :blush:
I prefer real books :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2014, 11:58:56 AM »
I just updated my goodreads list with all the books I can remember reading this year and I'm at 36 :) I love reading and I read every day. I went for years without ready after having babies because I never had time and just got back into reading last year.

Offline Miss_Pompon

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2014, 12:37:42 PM »
I love reading and thanks to the amazing parisian public transportation system, I don't need a car so I  read whenever I'm in a bus, metro or train (everyday) and even while walking (I had 10 minutes of walking in a straight line with no traffic, after my 1 hour bus travel, in my last job, a real blessing for reading).

I love real books but in a one-room appartment like mine, they are taking a lot of space (especially since I always to find some more for my new ponies), so I have had a kindle for 3 years now and I love it. Real books are for my favorite authors, the others are on Kindle. And some of my favorite books of my favorite authors, I bought again on kindle to have them wherever I go.

I certainly have read more than twenty but I like re reading my old books, so most of them were not new books.

Made by LordBlumiere, thank you so much

My Want List

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »
My Kindle came the other day and I like it. There's just one new gripe I have against e-books, though. My cute holographic sunflower bookmark is kind of useless with it. Bookmarks are fun book accessories!
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline pony_magick

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »
^They are! I have a holographic frog one and another in the form of a bookworm.

If we're going into the book vs e-book debate:
I like that with ebooks you don't have to carry around heavy books, you can change the font size easily, if you finish the book and really want the next in the series right away you can just go online a buy it and lastly (the most important for me) is that my books don't get damaged. If I was rereading my favourite series I'd actually wrap them in tissues so the covers didn't get dog-eared.

With actual books I love the smell, the texture, BOOKMARKS and the cool 3D covers they can have. Mainly if I love the book/series heaps then I buy a book not an ebook, but at the moment my book shelves are bare of books and full of ponies.
I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »
I can't do ebooks. I prefer real books. There is something about the smell of a book, the feel of the pages, and the pretty covers. You don't have to worry about batteries dying or the system crashing and losing all your books.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2014, 04:07:15 PM »
i'm more about the stories, so the format that the "book" comes in doesn't matter to me. so long as the story gets in my brain i'm happy.

i have a pretty extensive digital library, and the nice thing is. you can't lose it. unless you deliberately delete a file, you can't lose a book. even if they system goes down. it's nice. i can download my ebook onto my phone and read when i get stuck in an unexpected line. i like have more books than i need, but sometimes its nice to have a library to care with you.

Offline Star_Warrior

• Trade Count: (+195)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • The White Horse
    • View Profile
    • Night Hawk
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2014, 08:18:26 PM »
I would've read more if I wasn't so busy writing!  :work:  Two novels published this year. Few - now I'm working on book three.

Star Warrior
www.nighthawkseries.com

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2014, 04:27:01 AM »
I avoided e-books for years.  I hated the thought of not being able to turn the pages and even just smell the book (I collected a series called The Chalet School, and a lot of them are old and in hardback, so have a particular scent that I like).

However, times do change. I do still prefer a proper book, but e-books do now have a place for me and I love my kindle fire. I used it a lot when my son was tiny as he wanted to be held a lot and it was much easier to read with one hand on the kindle. It's also really useful while travelling as a space saver. But not so good in the bath :)

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »
I enjoy reading! I into mild fantasy, animals point view world and I last few yrs introduced to urban Fantasy when pick book Patricia Briggs book " Moon Called"...  I soo addicted her writing I have start buying first ed and pre - order  before her books in series is released.  I one usually type prefer soft cover books due easy handle, carrier  and take less space.
I sadly do not get read as much as I like to since I own a farm... work part time and spare time a lot suck up Dailey duties, rabbit shows or I doing research or explore Internet over livestocks.  BUT I still try take time here and there just curl up to good book. 
Out curiosity Has anyone hosted a book swap on arena?

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2014, 08:51:06 AM »
My name is Slug and I am a book-a-lohic.

I can think for 52 and I'm pretty sure I'm missing some.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
I wish I had more time for reading! I used to read a lot as a teenager (up to around 40 books a year, not quite as much as Slug :D ) but nowadays I'm just struggling to find time. I picked 2 to 4, I think four and a half is the accurate count, there was one I'd started in 2013 and finished in the summer, lol! I also had another one that took me months to read, while the other two I finished within a week. I have a cute little diary to keep track of the books I've read with dates etc. And of course everyone wants to know which books these were... ;)

Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (Oct 2013 - Jun 2014), 1006 pp.
Jeanette Waterson, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit (29th Jun - 8th Jul), 171 pp.
E. M. Forster, A Room with a View (18th Jul - 20th Oct), 223 pp.
Elizabeth Chadwick, Shadows and Strongholds (2nd - 8th Nov), 568 pp.
Tove Jansson, Näkymätön lapsi ja muita kertomuksia (Tales from Moominvalley) (9th - 13th Nov), 167 pp.

The number of pages doesn't really have anything to do with how fast I'm able to finish. I find it hard to leave a book unfinished even if it's boring... instead I just lose the mood for reading and let the book lie around for weeks, or months even, before I pick it up again. That's what happened with Forster. ^^' And to some extent with Jonathan Strange. What's interesting is that I actually found it pretty good but at points it was really slow paced and I didn't always feel like reading. I was also going through a lot at the time, working full time and finalising my master's thesis. 

I hope the next year will be a little better!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal