collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 1/5th of auctions 'my kid bid please cancel'. *headdesk* UPDATE!  (Read 7434 times)

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
1/5th of auctions 'my kid bid please cancel'. *headdesk* UPDATE!
« on: November 06, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »
Does anyone else run into this as much as I do? I am not a really active ebay seller, maybe 30 auctions a year that actually sell. Of these, in the past year, I have had FIVE bidders who sent me a message asking me to cancel their bid because their 'kid did it'. (Not the exact quote, exact working varies).

I mean, really? I have a hard time believing that 20% of these bids are placed by kids without parental consent! I think it is just bidder remorse! I will no longer be cancelling bids. If someone lets their kid bid, and doesn't want to pay, they can own up and take the non paying bidder strike. Their mistake, their consequence. The last time I cancelled a bid for someone, it took three days! They kept rejecting the cancellation request, and then claiming it was a mistake and please resend.

The latest one was on a lot of Snugglebumms that I have up, for $110. Not a cheap auction. I got a bid almost as soon as it was listed. Three days later, I get this message:

please cancel this item my child ordred it.

I have had ENOUGH of this bs.  I sent this back:

Unfortunately, I am unable and unwilling to cancel this auction. A bid on ebay is a binding contract. Children should not have access to your ebay account. Consider it a necessary lesson to learn - always log out! By bidding on this auction, I may have lost other bids to be placed by other buyers; by cancelling an auction that has bids I lose out on fees. I can not force you to pay for the item at the end of the auction, but I will not cancel it at my expense. It will be your choice to pay or not pay and face a potential non paying bidder strike.

Update:
So the auction ended, and the buyer has not paid. Unpaid item dispute opened on Nov 13th.

Update:
Nov 18th with no response from the buyer. Closed the case, got a refund of final value fees, and a strike on their account. Item relisted and I'm back to where I was before her 'kid  bidded'.

Username is mosh-jess if you want to block them. Doesn't seem to be an active buyer, but is into vintage toys from what I can see.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:29:38 PM by Thunderwing »

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 1/5th of auctions 'my kid bid please cancel'. *headdesk*
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 04:42:56 PM »
I have had this happen to me quite a few times. I don't sell all that much either and I didn't really believe either one. One said their kid bid on it and another said their niece and I think I might have had one more too. In some cases it could be true but I agree with you that it is mostly just people that bid quickly and then probably found another one for cheaper or just decided they don't want it. My daughter plays on my computer all the time and she has never bid on any ebay items.

I don't blame you though for sending that message since this is happening to you so often. It is very annoying. Go Thunderwing!!!!!!  :)

Let us know if they respond to your message.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »
This and zero feedback bidders are why I NEVER have auction style listings anymore, just BIN.  Most often, when someone buys it "now" they will pay immediately or by the next day.

I think there are a lot of people who bid on auctions and get carried away by the game or "winning" aspect of it, and then have second thoughts when it comes time to actually pay something...

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 04:48:39 PM »
i've had this happen to and i'm super impressed with your reply!! awesome.
totally doing that next time.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 04:50:47 PM »
I have had this excuse as well. I agree it's most likely buyer's remorse. Or are parents really this negligent these days? This is is extremely likely from what I have seen when I'm out and about. Who knows? But I applaud your message!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
The problem is- if the buyer gets angry at you for forcing them to go through with it, they can leave negative feedback for you.  Ebay is usually pretty terrible at siding with the seller, even when no negative is justified.

Things were different when the seller could also leave negative feedback...

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »
Keep us updated!  :( 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 02:24:17 AM »
I haven't sold on eBay in close to 10 years, but I think you handled it well. I wouldn't cancel it, either. People really need to think hard before bidding: Do I really want this? Can I afford it? Will I use it? - Maybe this will teach her not to be so impulsive.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 04:44:36 AM »
Ugh! I totally feel your frustration! I had this happen to me only a couple days back on an item I reeeeaaaally wanted to sell too! *sigh*  :(

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 06:33:08 AM »
Good for you! I, too, am impressed by your reply, go get 'em!

Funny story--when my daughter was two, she ended up buying $30 worth of Curious George episodes on the Kindle Fire. That was definitely a lesson learned for us!!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 09:01:54 AM »
Thanks for this note! If I ever consider selling on eBay (and I'm halfway to considering it for the holiday season) I will add a disclaimer to my listing noting I will not cancel these type bids!

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 03:21:02 PM »
Ok...so I feel like I just got hit with a blast of karma. I made an earlier post about how I haven't believed people that told me this and that it has never happened to me. Well it literally just happened to me!!!! My 2 year old just bid on an ebay pony!! I left for one second because I was putting up my big brother ponies that she had gotten into and then when I got back she had bid on a pony!!! :ack:

I feel so silly! :blush: And I don't even want to send a message because now I know they won't believe me! I don't know...I guess I might have to change my attitude after this. I'm sure not all of them are telling the truth but it just happened to me.

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 04:12:47 PM »
Ok...so I feel like I just got hit with a blast of karma. I made an earlier post about how I haven't believed people that told me this and that it has never happened to me. Well it literally just happened to me!!!! My 2 year old just bid on an ebay pony!! I left for one second because I was putting up my big brother ponies that she had gotten into and then when I got back she had bid on a pony!!! :ack:

I feel so silly! :blush: And I don't even want to send a message because now I know they won't believe me! I don't know...I guess I might have to change my attitude after this. I'm sure not all of them are telling the truth but it just happened to me.

I'm sure it really does happen sometimes (like it did to you), but most people use the excuse because they made a hasty decision and then regretted it. My fingers are crossed that you're outbid. And, if not? Well, I hope it's not an expensive pony. :flow:

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 01:47:21 PM »

If your kid did that, I think it's up to you to follow the auction up and pay for the item should you 'win' it.  That's not fair to the seller, ever, and you can always use it as a lesson for your kid.  When the pony comes in, it gets put UP.  She doesn't get the pony until she 'works' for the money of your's she spent.  Extra chores maybe until she can earn the pony herself.  Or, you can get the pony up and resale it to someone else, and make her pack the pony up when it sells.  Your decision of course, but that's what my parents would've done had ebay been around to teach me a good lesson about that. 

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »
I can understand it happening once or twice....but really? 5 times?
Now you know why I use computer passwords. Always better safe than sorry!
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal