collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 retro style mug gift set found at Kmart (also at Rite Aid!)  (Read 6693 times)

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G1 retro style mug gift set found at Kmart (also at Rite Aid!)
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »
I bought my Canadian version 4-mug set from Walmart on Black Friday for the 7.50 like mentioned earlier!
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2014, 02:00:19 PM »
I bought this gift set at Sears!

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
G1 retro style mug gift set found at Kmart (also at Rite Aid!)
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2014, 02:40:13 PM »
Wow, they're finally marketing "retro" pony merchandise... For some reason MLP has avoided doing that (probably due to copyright renewal issues), even though fellow Hasbro brands like Transformers market their G1 stuff like crazy. Whatever the issue, it's good to see G1 ponies finally making their presence known in the modern day!

Time for me to go search my local Rite Aid! XD
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2014, 07:23:55 AM »
Wow, they're finally marketing "retro" pony merchandise... For some reason MLP has avoided doing that (probably due to copyright renewal issues), even though fellow Hasbro brands like Transformers market their G1 stuff like crazy. Whatever the issue, it's good to see G1 ponies finally making their presence known in the modern day!

Time for me to go search my local Rite Aid! XD

Less about copyright and more about buying into the mass retro market that is floating around at the moment :) Hasbro have tried this with MLP in the past in a very half hearted way (AJ and Sundance bobbleheads and the G1 merch in G2 packaging) but the massive popularity of MLP and the 80s right now has just combined to bring all of this to us.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2014, 12:40:35 PM »
Whee! My Rite Aid had the mug set! And at 50% off! =D

Less about copyright and more about buying into the mass retro market that is floating around at the moment :) Hasbro have tried this with MLP in the past in a very half hearted way (AJ and Sundance bobbleheads and the G1 merch in G2 packaging) but the massive popularity of MLP and the 80s right now has just combined to bring all of this to us.

True; they're probably way past caring about copyright renewal by now... I'm just thinking of before 'ponymania' hit, when Hasbro chose to use G3 names and likenesses over G1 due to the bother and expense of renewing the old G1 copyrights. XD

I do love this 80s revival/nostalgia that's been going on lately! I really hope we get more retro-styled MLP toys in the future. :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:46:08 PM by Darkflare »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2015, 02:48:44 PM »

True; they're probably way past caring about copyright renewal by now... I'm just thinking of before 'ponymania' hit, when Hasbro chose to use G3 names and likenesses over G1 due to the bother and expense of renewing the old G1 copyrights. XD

I do love this 80s revival/nostalgia that's been going on lately! I really hope we get more retro-styled MLP toys in the future. :)

It was never about copyright for G4 - they went with G3 characters because they were current no other reason. Nothing stopped them making the ponies Firefly and Surprise and Posey if they had wanted to. They just didnt actually want to. :)
Loa is my love god!

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »

It was never about copyright for G4 - they went with G3 characters because they were current no other reason. Nothing stopped them making the ponies Firefly and Surprise and Posey if they had wanted to. They just didnt actually want to. :)

Really? Huh, I guess I just heard a lot of theorizing, before. X3 I can't believe they just cared about the character names being more 'current'. >< That's marketing, I guess...

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
The trademark thing was something used at the start of G4 to explain to fans why we didnt get G1 characters - it was very much a "shut up and go away" kind of answer unfortunately and therefore I think its one of those untrue truths that were echoed everywhere. Financially Hasbro invested a lot in characters like RD and Pinkie it just made sense to carry them forward - an easier and known quantity and a link between the generations as there was no shut down period really between them after all. I would have preferred Surprise and Firefly but at least the reason why it wasnt makes sense I guess.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2015, 05:36:45 PM »
That's one convoluted history. DX Thanks for the clarification! Financially, I can see why they chose to continue with the characters they'd been marketing heavily up to that point... The strange part is, Twilight Twinkle never received much publicity, nor did Applejack in G3. I'm surprised they didn't use more common names, like Starsong or Tools Roola.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2015, 07:21:46 PM »
do want
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2015, 06:47:36 AM »
I got the last Gusty mug at Rite Aid on Christmas Eve for half off :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2015, 08:42:21 AM »
That's one convoluted history. DX Thanks for the clarification! Financially, I can see why they chose to continue with the characters they'd been marketing heavily up to that point... The strange part is, Twilight Twinkle never received much publicity, nor did Applejack in G3. I'm surprised they didn't use more common names, like Starsong or Tools Roola.

Unfortunately I think the others came down to ensuring colours and types of ponies balanced out to get the main character set then needed.

In my heart I like to think that they included Applejack just for us though :P
Loa is my love god!

leela42

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2015, 10:08:18 AM »
I finally picked one of these up today- they're in the 75% off Christmas bin at my Rite-Aid, so I got it for $3.25. 

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2015, 03:03:39 PM »
Does anyone else NOT want to open theirs? It looks so pretty all packaged up. But what will happen to the cookie if it just stays on the shelf? Will ants get to it? :yikes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2015, 03:20:44 PM »
OOoooo, wish I had seen this sooner!

Which ponies did they have?   I guess it's too late to find any now.    But they look cool!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal