collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 115
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 9
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: 2015 Fair Road trip ideas  (Read 1501 times)

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
2015 Fair Road trip ideas
« on: October 11, 2014, 12:36:21 AM »
Well, yup it's kind of early, but half the joy is the planning. :)

We're going to take some time after the Fair to do a circuit of the Great Lakes. Up to Superior via Green Bay, over to Huron, then back over to lake Michigan at Traverse City then home to PA via northern Ohio along Erie.

Any one here from those areas and along that route have any thoughts about what's a "must see"? We're mostly into natural areas, not amusement parks and crowds, and we love the occasional oddball, simple museum that is focused on something of local interest. We will most likely still be on the road, probably still in the upper reaches of Michigan, on fourth of July, so if there's a spectacular place from which to view fireworks, let me know!

Has anyone ever taken the glass bottom shipwreck boat tour in Painted Rocks area on Lake Superior? Is it worth it?

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
Re: 2015 Fair Road trip ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 12:52:25 AM »
I imagine the Mackinac Island bridge area would be great for fireworks. I live in Michigan but don't go too far from where I live. Traverse City is gorgeous :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • Etsy
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
If you really want to do the circle tour and see some great natural areas, keep heading north after Superior through Duluth, and check out the North Shore of Lake Superior here in Minnesota. It's beautiful, natural, lots of dramatic cliffs and waterfalls. You might as well commit to driving around the top of Lake Superior through Canada on your way. We did this tour two years ago, and have very nice memories of the natural and undeveloped scenery!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline MoonStars

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 11:09:27 PM »
If you really want to do the circle tour and see some great natural areas, keep heading north after Superior through Duluth, and check out the North Shore of Lake Superior here in Minnesota. It's beautiful, natural, lots of dramatic cliffs and waterfalls. You might as well commit to driving around the top of Lake Superior through Canada on your way. We did this tour two years ago, and have very nice memories of the natural and undeveloped scenery!

Arrrrrrrghhh!!!! Ponyqueen, now you have me wanting to do that, too. Lol!!  It will have to wait until another time, though, as our road trip is already a bit longer than it "should" be. Whilst investigating, I did read that the north shore of Superior is... well, superior! But going over into Minnesota and upward was too far for the time we have. Thanks for the tidbit, though. *filed away for another must do road trip*

moony, thanks for the input!

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »
Ok I only have one suggestion to you in Wisconsin for your trip around the great lakes. :D
from Chicago go to Sheboygan Wisconsin near the lake front. if you want to take a river front around the great lakes. There you will find the tallest flag in the world dedicated to the American soldiers. From there head on to greenbay. I will send you a video of the flag.  :D

In Chicago go visit the shed aquarium, on lake Michigan in Chicago has
Navy pier which has art stained glass collection. Musuem of science and industry and an art museum also an history museum. 

Botanical gardens in green bay.

The best suggestion i can give you...
Chicago to millwalkee to Sheboygan to Manitowoc then on to Greenbay.
Fom there on have lots of fun planning. :D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:36:12 AM by Starflashbaby »

Offline Starflashbaby

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 03:50:23 AM »
Like I promised the Flag video **which should of went on CNN or FOX news but the government turned its eye for some reason. and wanted to show depressing news instead of Impressive news. :D but that's a hole new topic**

you should diffidently add this to your bucket list. :D

http://youtu.be/ls1oIstcAGw

yes it really is 400 foot tall  :cool:

Offline MoonStars

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 04:39:28 PM »
Thanks, starflashbaby. Impressive- built to withstand 200mph winds " for hours". -And HOLY MOLY that is one huge flag. Four stories high (the flag itself).  We have a Perkins restaurant and a car dealership that fly the two biggest flags I have ever seen, but they're tiny in comparison to that one. i think we shall have to work it into the schedule!

Offline Starflashbaby

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 08:15:44 PM »
Amnicon state park by superior wisconsin is a cool state park also copper falls by Mellen wisconsin has cool waterfalls.

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »
Whereabouts on Huron are you planning on going? That's a lot of area LOL to be able to suggest some must-see stuff.

MH and I have always wanted to go to the shipwreck museum in the UP, definitely on our list of things to do!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
www.RoadsideAmerica.com might have some fun or quirky stops along your route. 

Offline MoonStars

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 07:22:44 PM »
Whereabouts on Huron are you planning on going? That's a lot of area LOL to be able to suggest some must-see stuff.

MH and I have always wanted to go to the shipwreck museum in the UP, definitely on our list of things to do!

Welp. :) Our agenda is more or less like this after the fair. First stop Green Bay (via giant flag in Sheboygan) to do a Lambeau Leap. Next day on to Lake Superior:  Marquette, MI one night, then over to Manusing for several days including July 4th, where we casn hopefully do a glass bottom shipwreck tour and see the shipwreck museum as well as all the natural wonders in the area. Then over to Lake Huron for one night in Rogers City (some kind of cool fossil rocks to be found if we're lucky!), then Traverse City for one night. On the way home we will pass through Ann Arbor, where I have heard there are these awesome things called fairy doors. We both want to look for them, and it will be a great place for a break. That will be the last sightseeing of the trip.  And sooooo hopping to get to see some aurora. Not exactly the right time of year, but who knows.

And ashlyne, ooooh, roadside america is definitely something to check out. There are some cool places all over the country. :)

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Don't dream it, be it.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »
www.RoadsideAmerica.com might have some fun or quirky stops along your route.

Cannot recommend this site enough.  I got the app the last time I was in WV and we found all kinds of crazy stuff to visit!

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 12:07:35 AM »

Welp. :) Our agenda is more or less like this after the fair. First stop Green Bay (via giant flag in Sheboygan) to do a Lambeau Leap. Next day on to Lake Superior:  Marquette, MI one night, then over to Manusing for several days including July 4th, where we casn hopefully do a glass bottom shipwreck tour and see the shipwreck museum as well as all the natural wonders in the area. Then over to Lake Huron for one night in Rogers City (some kind of cool fossil rocks to be found if we're lucky!), then Traverse City for one night. On the way home we will pass through Ann Arbor, where I have heard there are these awesome things called fairy doors. We both want to look for them, and it will be a great place for a break. That will be the last sightseeing of the trip.  And sooooo hopping to get to see some aurora. Not exactly the right time of year, but who knows.

And ashlyne, ooooh, roadside america is definitely something to check out. There are some cool places all over the country. :)

The Cherry Festival on Traverse City is July 4-11 :) You mean petosky stones? I always have a hard time remembering that non-Michiganders don't know about state-specific things, like petosky stones, trolls, Vernors, etc.  Are you going to check out the lighthouse while you're in Rogers City? You can see lots of ship skeletons--I think my sister did a report on Presque Isle back in elementary school. My dad works in Ann Arbor, you think he would have shown my daughter the fairy doors (or, at the very least, me!!)--I'm going to have to bug him to take her around in the summer.

On your way south on 75, you should stop in Frankenmuth/Bronner's, which is THE place to get anything Christmas-related. Always a good spot to find unique ornaments and such, and to walk around "Bavaria." Be sure to pack a bathing suit or two--you're never more than 6 miles away from a lake in our state! Lots of antique malls in our state, as well. Oh, and be sure to pay attention to rest areas on 75--they are few and far between!!

Offline MoonStars

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 02:17:46 AM »

The Cherry Festival on Traverse City is July 4-11 :) You mean petosky stones? I always have a hard time remembering that non-Michiganders don't know about state-specific things, like petosky stones, trolls, Vernors, etc.  Are you going to check out the lighthouse while you're in Rogers City? You can see lots of ship skeletons--I think my sister did a report on Presque Isle back in elementary school. My dad works in Ann Arbor, you think he would have shown my daughter the fairy doors (or, at the very least, me!!)--I'm going to have to bug him to take her around in the summer.

On your way south on 75, you should stop in Frankenmuth/Bronner's, which is THE place to get anything Christmas-related. Always a good spot to find unique ornaments and such, and to walk around "Bavaria." Be sure to pack a bathing suit or two--you're never more than 6 miles away from a lake in our state! Lots of antique malls in our state, as well. Oh, and be sure to pay attention to rest areas on 75--they are few and far between!!

Yeah, the hotel clerk told us about the CHerry Festival! sounds cool, and sounds like we will miss the Thunderbirds air show, though, dang it!

I figure we will check out any lighthouses we come across, so if there is one in RC, we'll be checking it out! :)

petosky stones, yes, that was the name. Trolls?? WHERE? Under every bridge?  :D And what are Vernors? And Bronner's, really? LOL they fill my inbox with emails starting in september or so. Worth a side trip, perhaps, if time allows.

Most important tip of your post... The rest stop tip LOL!!!

Thanks for all the great info and ideas!

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 02:10:04 PM »
Yeah, the hotel clerk told us about the CHerry Festival! sounds cool, and sounds like we will miss the Thunderbirds air show, though, dang it!

I figure we will check out any lighthouses we come across, so if there is one in RC, we'll be checking it out! :)

petosky stones, yes, that was the name. Trolls?? WHERE? Under every bridge?  :D And what are Vernors? And Bronner's, really? LOL they fill my inbox with emails starting in september or so. Worth a side trip, perhaps, if time allows.

Most important tip of your post... The rest stop tip LOL!!!

Thanks for all the great info and ideas!

LOL see, told you :P People who live in the Upper Peninsula are called 'Yoopers,' and people who live in the Lower are called 'Trolls,' because we live under the [Mackinac] Bridge. And you don't say the C in Mackinac, although, I think you probably know that.

Vernor's is *the best* ginger ale in the whole, wide world! It'll cure what ails ya (haha), and is so yummy. I drink it almost daily, really good for upset tummies, sore throats, you name it.

I haven't been to Bronner's, but my sister loves it. Some day. Birch Run is a big outlet mall just south of Bronner's; good place to get out of the car and walk around.

And, about the rest stops, MI rest stops are generally disgusting. We always stop at a McD's or a Speedway instead :) 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal