collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Yellowed Playsets - Salon Care 50 Volume Creme  (Read 10439 times)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
Yellowed Playsets - Salon Care 50 Volume Creme
« on: August 12, 2014, 07:29:20 PM »
Where are folks getting this?  I can only get the 40 volume creme and from photos I've seen of folks who've brightened playsets using the 50, it doesn't work as well.  It seems to take way longer than what's been described to me with the 50, the playsets don't get as white, and the yellow seems to come back kind of fast.

I stopped at a Sally's, but was told that you have to have a license to get it.  My playsets look tons better using the 40, but not near as good as I had hoped.   :(  I was hoping to get results more like the photos pictured here:

http://mlppreservationproject.com/accessories.html#Playsets
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
Re: Yellowed Playsets - Salon Care 50 Volume Creme
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:29:04 AM »
I had the same problem... they wouldn't let me buy it. Can't even find it on eBay. I bought the 40 but haven't tried it yet.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:02:11 AM »
You would need to know someone who has an license who is willing buy it for you sadly. It's a dangerous product used improperly. (off label use for us. If anyone wants to try strong h202, absolutely look up as much about safety ahead of time as possible. MUST use chemical goggles, chemical gloves, in an area with ventilation and absolutely nowhere near open flames! If this stuff gets in your eye, you can go blind.)

If Breyer600 reads this, I'd love to know. Did you use the 50 volume creme? and, how have the whitened playsets help up until now?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
Where I stay is like a hairdresser mecca :P One of my friends is the marketing manager for a well known Salon retailer, I get mine through her. Although I know it is possible to buy it over the counter, depending on how reputable the seller is and they really should not be selling it unless you are a professional and can prove it. Its against selling laws due, as Fantastic says, to the grade of chemical it is. Most big salons or chemists will not sell it without proof and many will even refuse to sell it in store - making it a business to business purchase only.

I dont have the same brand but the same percentage and to be honest I have used it only on occasion. While it really does work I do worry about the long term damage done to the plastic so I have only used it when experimenting and on very inexpensive items such as baby buggies.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
While it really does work I do worry about the long term damage done to the plastic so I have only used it when experimenting and on very inexpensive items such as baby buggies.

Thank you for this! :) I have a few cheap playsets that I'd like to work on for starters, these sets are essentially worthless now (with CDN shipping prices, people wouldn't take them for free) and I'm plain tired of them looking so darn ugly. I have someone that may be able to get me some. we will see.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »
While it really does work I do worry about the long term damage done to the plastic so I have only used it when experimenting and on very inexpensive items such as baby buggies.

Thank you for this! :) I have a few cheap playsets that I'd like to work on for starters, these sets are essentially worthless now (with CDN shipping prices, people wouldn't take them for free) and I'm plain tired of them looking so darn ugly. I have someone that may be able to get me some. we will see.

In the long term the bleaching will break down plastic by making it rather brittle. I know this technique works, I have seen it and I have heard of so much success but the damage it just makes me shy away.
Loa is my love god!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:39:26 AM »
In the long term the bleaching will break down plastic by making it rather brittle. I know this technique works, I have seen it and I have heard of so much success but the damage it just makes me shy away.

I knew that could happen too, glad you mentioned it. Any of the tutorials I read advocated checking often and pulling items as soon as the desired brightening is achieved and only going as long as necessary. Considering during my cleaning frenzy I was at the point of just tossing all of these incomplete browned playsets in the trash, I can afford the brittleness risk. I was more wondering about how bright they'll stay, if they re-brown in a few months, well it's a lot of time wasted for me. :) Hopefully I'll have some backdrops for some of the really lovely duplicate ponies I have that came in childhood collections I don't have the heart to break up. I :heart: childhood collections.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 07:42:50 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 09:20:08 AM »
Oh its definitely worth the risk when its something which would be heading to the trash otherwise! Especially as its just a shell - only a couple of the playset shells are really that expensive if you did want to replace at some point in the future as you know. So its not the end of the world if something did happen...I just tend to be paranoid. I ll experiment with anything but even if things work I run scared of then moving that out to actual collection ponies.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »

If Breyer600 reads this, I'd love to know. Did you use the 50 volume creme? and, how have the whitened playsets help up until now?

I did use the 50 volume.  I picked mine up at Sally's without them ever asking to see a liscense - I don't know if that's a location thing or if the person at the register just didn't know to check.  I had no idea at the time that it could be an issue.  Sadly, the playsets I whitened with it have re-yellowed.  It could be from storage though and they may hold up better if out on display in more stable conditions. 

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 06:48:56 AM »

I did use the 50 volume.  I picked mine up at Sally's without them ever asking to see a liscense - I don't know if that's a location thing or if the person at the register just didn't know to check.  I had no idea at the time that it could be an issue.  Sadly, the playsets I whitened with it have re-yellowed.  It could be from storage though and they may hold up better if out on display in more stable conditions.

"Stable conditions". I get it!

How long did it take them to re-yellow? Very disheartening to hear they did this!

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »
I honestly don't know how long it took.  I had to box them up and it was at least several months if not a year before I even looked in on them.  It could have had something to do with the box or temperature changes where they are though.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »
From what I've read, they will re-yellow eventually... I was hoping for longer results for pony stuff....
but this is home collectors, so everyone lives in different environments (more/less heat/more less humidity or light etc etc).

time varied for people I read about too (these were computer collectors) anywhere from a few months, to a couple years thus far. some people tried using a UV film protector too, and it will re-yellow under that. But, these are electronics, so I'm guessing perhaps more bromine (flame retardant who's reaction to various elements causes this staining in the first place) was used in the plastics for electronics?

I know 40 volume is 12% Googling didn't give me a % for 50 volume, but judging by how the lower volumes work it's 15%? (do you know hathorcat?)

There are places where one might find higher % H2O2, if anyone happens to see higher % don't risk it. it's so unstable, can burn instantly and various chemical reactions can occur resulting in a boom/fire etc. ANYTHING used (even low %'s) keep far away from children and pets.

That said, a bunch of spare playset shells headed for the trash, it'll be a fun experiment. Anything in my collection that's a little yellowed will just stay that way until it's replaced with an unyellowed version. :)

Perhaps my trashed pretty parlor can be unyellowed and I can split up the sections in various place (airflow/airtight/cardboard box)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:21:28 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »
I believe its 15% as well - I think the volumes increase by 3% so volume 10 is 3%, volume 20 is 6% and so on.
Loa is my love god!

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »
Golly, I hope no one is throwing away yellowed pieces? They can at least be customized via full painting, right?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
Golly, I hope no one is throwing away yellowed pieces? They can at least be customized via full painting, right?

Not necessarily. I dont have the time or talent or too much interest to personally customise yellowed playsets and very few people are ever interested in covering what the actual shipping cost for something like that is (even if you are offering up the set for free). Sometimes things do have just go to the charity shop for a good cause or, for me, the experimenting space.
Loa is my love god!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal