collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it just me or is Ebay a little crazy?  (Read 3403 times)

Offline princess

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or is Ebay a little crazy?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »
That Gingerbread! Every time I see it I get so excited like this Gingerbread must be PERFECT! But then I see it...it tricks me every time :/  I hope a good Ginger appears on eBay soon, she's my favorite Twinkle and I need her in my collection.

But yeah.  I see a lot of expensive chewed up, hairless, and pen marked not hard to find ponies with sellers asking for a lot just saying it needs someone to clean it up.  I swear, these people would sell a headless pony for 50$ saying it just needs some care.

At the same time, though, I've gotten good deals! Got a winged Pink Dreams for only 10$ recently, right after I saw a wingless one auction off for 20$

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 05:35:46 PM »
Sadly other than the arena ebay is the only place I can buy ponies. There are literally no ponies in the wild here :c

Offline ponybanker

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 10:50:56 PM »
When I list I usually do best offer, sometimes its fun to haggle but also annoying when you get way low balled lol

Offline Violet CLM

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 11:29:32 PM »
But at the same time, I won BB Pudding Pie (one of my big time g4 grails) for less than $10 the other day,
That was you, was it?

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 01:11:01 AM »
You get a better picture looking at sold listings only. Besides that, keep in mind that eBay ends up charging you roughly 25% of the total sale price, shipping included, for having a successful listing, so you need to bump up the price a fair bit to make any profit at all.
Wow, that much? :shocked: I've always thought it was around 10%...

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 04:46:02 AM »
You get a better picture looking at sold listings only. Besides that, keep in mind that eBay ends up charging you roughly 25% of the total sale price, shipping included, for having a successful listing, so you need to bump up the price a fair bit to make any profit at all.

Yeah 25% is huge... maybe it's different in other countries? In the US it's 10% and maxes out at $250.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 05:24:03 AM »
I have several *eyeroll* moments every time I search ebay but also find some cracking deals :D Just yesterday I got a glitter Sweetie Drops for a bargain price!

As a seller I start 99.9% of my auctions at 99p and let the bids do the rest, that way people will pay what they want to pay and chances are the ponies sell for their worth. I've noticed when I listed a couple of Mountain boys for what they were worth they didn't sell. I started them at 99p and they bid up to the price I had them starting at the first time I listed :P High prices put people off, start the auctions low and you'll get the pony's worth (if you're doing the selling right ;) ) and buyers are happy :)

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 05:30:57 AM »

Yeah 25% is huge... maybe it's different in other countries? In the US it's 10% and maxes out at $250.

I find its closer to  28%!

and  even if its a "cash on pick up" type of item , like say a fridge or something.
you still get slogged with the  fee.

Offline Violet CLM

• Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »
Admittedly I don't think I've personally gone through and confirmed the numbers, but that's roughly what this tool tends to give me.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
I have to agree that Ebay is getting a bit out of hand. But on the good side of it no one is making you buy that pony or ponies. I did hit one good deal today! I was able to get NIB G3 Birthflower pony for $14.00!!!  You have to look but there are still some good deals out there. I really wish it would back to what it was like when the G3 ponies first came out. Pony prices were not out of this world then.

Very true.. few and far between a deal can be found..but it's nothing like it was just several years ago.  eBay used to be a fun place to hunt for ponies at great prices, now I hardly bother.  I understand the sellers need to charge more to make a profit nowadays, but still.  The extreme starting prices can be very off-putting.

Yes it sure is!!! its sad when your looking for a certain NIB or even loose G3 ponies and you cant find one for under $20.00 and its not even mint. Or there is a NIB G3 pony that you have been looking for and they want $89.00 plus shipping!!!!! Um no THANK YOU! 

pinkiemoose

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 01:53:42 PM »
i must agree that although there are a lot of WAAY overpriced ponies, you can occasionally find some steals! i won "Firefly's Adventure" Firefly for $0.99 and like $3 shipping. you just gotta kinda watch.
and honestly after attending the MLP Fair, nothing will be able to satisfy my pony-shopping expectations ;-;

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 02:03:53 PM »
I have several *eyeroll* moments every time I search ebay but also find some cracking deals :D Just yesterday I got a glitter Sweetie Drops for a bargain price!

As a seller I start 99.9% of my auctions at 99p and let the bids do the rest, that way people will pay what they want to pay and chances are the ponies sell for their worth. I've noticed when I listed a couple of Mountain boys for what they were worth they didn't sell. I started them at 99p and they bid up to the price I had them starting at the first time I listed :P High prices put people off, start the auctions low and you'll get the pony's worth (if you're doing the selling right ;) ) and buyers are happy :)

This! I for one am one of those bidders who give in little by little.  ;) It's easier to bid more when you have a few hours or a couple of days to ponder if you could survive with a little less money than you first intended to, than having to bet on a high bid to begin with.  :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline Wysteria

• MOC Crazy!
  • Trade Count: (+118)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Katz Pony Shop
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katzponyshop.ecrater.com/
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 02:17:52 PM »
I just watched a MOC Cherries Jubilee go for $350 o.O But the deals are out there;) I snagged a pearly baby Surprise for $6 and someone got a mint tux for $7 from the same seller:) I'm just sick of sellers posting one photo and say look at photo for description...you take a chance and of course there's huge flaws, hair cuts, or the ponies face is almost bitten in half. Or you get a pony who's hair was covering one eye in said photo that shows up with a huge rub...was offered to have it touched up since they were a customizer though...I'm sorry but sellers lately have gotten seriously lazy.

As for the fees it is 10% but if you charge shipping they hit you with a 10% fee on that and then the paypal fee so if you offer free shipping it probably is closer to 25% by the time you've paid the shipping:/ Hence why I always have a huge booth at pony fair. I will wait all year with my extras just to avoid selling on ebay because everything I would have lost in fees pretty much evens out to my event costs and I got to enjoy the experience:)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:21:21 PM by Wysteria »

squishy turdl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 02:55:50 PM »
That Gingerbread! Every time I see it I get so excited like this Gingerbread must be PERFECT! But then I see it...it tricks me every time :/  I hope a good Ginger appears on eBay soon, she's my favorite Twinkle and I need her in my collection.

I must say I got an amazing gingerbread a few months back on ebay, she is pretty much minty as can be and even had her original ribbon and I won her for 3 pounds. I think Hathorcat is right in what she said, for each $45 baity cherry jubilee, there is a good deal to be found aswell..

Goodluck finding your dream Gingy, I'm sure she will come up soon! xx

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 03:30:33 PM »
I think it's because people get more of a thrill from "winning" an item on Ebay than just buying it from a seller. I tend to only shop on there for bargains, so if I can get something cheaper elsewhere, I will. I've seen some G4 items that are widely and readily available pretty much everywhere go high above their general retail price, and that's not including postage :blink: There are a few video games I've been watching that consistently sell for around a third more than you can buy them for pre-owned elsewhere.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal