collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro 3D printing site  (Read 1216 times)

Offline U2QueenBee

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Hasbro 3D printing site
« on: July 22, 2014, 05:26:56 AM »
Not sure if this should be in the customs section, but I saw this article earlier and thought people might be interested:

http://www.themarysue.com/hasbro-fanartsite/

And here's the actual link:

http://superfanart.com/

It's definitely aimed at adult collectors at those prices, but perhaps they will go down in future as 3D printing becomes more common and materials are more readily available?

Offline Judhudson

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro 3D printing site
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 05:40:55 AM »
Oh wow...they're nice...

But not that nice at those prices.  At those prices I think I'll pay for customized sculpted figures (and even then, those are worth a lot more, but they don't pop out of a 3D printer!)

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:06:24 AM »
That's cool form Hasbro. But, aren't some of the figurines SFM models you can download for free?

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:22:50 AM »
I thought they are petty cute, but to high for me also in the price!

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:33:16 AM »
That is pretty sweet.  I just finished modeling my 3d Discord bracelet so I might try to get it up on the site.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:38:58 AM »
This is interesting but I'm not sure I like the texture of the material 3d printers create. And I'm old fashioned and like MLP with brushable hair.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:54:11 AM »
This is interesting but I'm not sure I like the texture of the material 3d printers create.
This, so much.

I only have one printed 3D model, and that's solely because Disney never released a single piece of merchandise of the character in question. I love it, but I would never buy a 3D print of a character that can be purchased as a figure elsewhere.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
I think this is pretty neat!  Unfortunately, that "colored sandstone" is SOOOO brittle- and the texture is not that great either.

But it's still pretty cool that Hasbro has authorized fan-made 3d projects!  I'm sure quality will improve at some point.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
Hasbro announced the tie up last year - i.e. that they would be working with a 3D printing company - but its really interesting to see how they are going to incorporate it into the line with Monday's announcement. I guess now we know why Hasbro and Shapeways were quick to stop the artists who had been making items - they saw the $$$ :P

Its such an interesting move and pretty cool to see businesses going this direction. Direct customer interaction is the buzz for companies at the moment; licensing fan art is very clever.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »
I wonder how Hasbro is making $$ since it doesn't look like the current products are any more expensive than they were prior to Hasbro's blessing...

I wouldn't be surprised if they worked out a fairly negligible sum. If I were their attorneys, I would totally try and figure out a way to "authorize" this in such a way- since it is going to happen anyway, and if it happens for too long without Hasbro doing anything, there is a legal argument that Hasbro has waived it's ability to object to infringements of this nature...

They should do something similar with the Etsy artists who are making plushies and things.  But maybe the variety of fan-made products and the way that forum works, makes it harder to keep track of or enforce.

Offline PinkiePosh

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »
This is a little odd for Hasbro to encourage this  :what:

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 02:57:40 PM »
This is a fantastic idea! I don't know if much is going to come of it right now; as people have pointed out, 3D printing has its flaws. But the technology is going to get better and better, and the materials more affordable. It remains to be seen if this site will still exist by that point, but can you imagine if it did? We wouldn't have to complain so much that Hasbro is putting out so few characters - we can rely on the fans to do it instead!
I'll put something here some time

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »
Not a big fan myself. Maybe it sounds stupid but it feels too "unofficial".
Like i could just as well directly commission an artist instead. That and these really don't look that great to warrant such a price.
There are cheaper, better looking and more durable figures out there.

It's interesting to see Trixie there though. Didn't Welovefine create pretty much the same figure?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 04:07:21 PM »
I wonder how Hasbro is making $$ since it doesn't look like the current products are any more expensive than they were prior to Hasbro's blessing...

I wouldn't be surprised if they worked out a fairly negligible sum. If I were their attorneys, I would totally try and figure out a way to "authorize" this in such a way- since it is going to happen anyway, and if it happens for too long without Hasbro doing anything, there is a legal argument that Hasbro has waived it's ability to object to infringements of this nature...

They should do something similar with the Etsy artists who are making plushies and things.  But maybe the variety of fan-made products and the way that forum works, makes it harder to keep track of or enforce.

It will be a regular license, Shapeways will have had to take on perhaps with a revenue profit split. Its kind of similar to the way a site like Zazzle would work [or at least sites where you use content to create your own product].

We had to do something similar at Nike. Remember back when you were first able to design your own trainers/sneakers? We wanted to be able to offer certain football badges, names and colours. We had to put in place contracts with every club whose identify we offered as something a customer could select to put on the shoe. It was a pain in the bottom and there was a small license paid to the club with every single pair of shoes purchased using those design items. But without that contract we would not have been able to offer up the logo/colour options. There was a lot more to the legalities as some clubs could not even sign up due to contracts with other sportswear manufacturers but the concept is similar. Its just in this case Shapeways are buying the right to be able to produce anything which Hasbro could claim as their IP. The volume of additional traffic driven Shapeways way due to their unique agreement with Hasbro [after all this is not something any other 3D printing company can offer] is probably worth whatever they lose re revenue split or commission license fees.

As you say, its probably initially about brand protection and simply preventing a channel running away with their product. All in a seriously clever move. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline shindow

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Derpy's Scrapbook: Collecting Ditsy Doo
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 05:58:02 PM »
I want :muffin: Pony, but I want the famous Shapeways style one... also, doesn't seem like they are using a smooth texture on those pics. I know there is better than that availible...
Collecting :muffin: Pony / Ditsy Doo?
Check out her latest releases, news, and reviews at:
www.derpyscrapbook.blogspot.com
- The :muffin: Pony collector expert. And I love My Little Pony Tales. And Muffins.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal