collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "G1.5" ...?  (Read 3556 times)

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: "G1.5" ...?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »
Again, the generation refers only to the mold of the toys. It doesn't refer to related shows.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 02:19:56 PM »
Yea I know, but Tales is the exception in my opinion for show only. G3.5 is that way due to the art style and toys, but I would say G1.5 only refers to the show obviously not the toys.

For Sale Wants

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »
Aquatic Neon, it's not about the shows, and never has been. The shows mostly have their own names, so if you want to distinguish between them, it's not that hard. The toys do not, nor do they all correlate to a show, so generation numbers matter.

If you took an interest in anything else, wouldn't you learn to the established terminology? Why is this any different?

Offline Aquatic Neon

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »
I think its best to just agree to disagree I get your guys points but Tales is different than MLP and Friends thats all I'm trying to say.

For Sale Wants

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
We're aware the shows are different. That should be obvious. It's also irrelevant.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »
Again, generations don't go by the shows, they go by the toys. Tales has been G1 for 20 years. Why would we change things now? No one had problems understanding it before. We don't base generation names on new commercials. And the shows are just 30 minute commercials.

G3 and G3.5 toys are completely different. Toys decide the generation.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »
Who cares?
It's a spin-off of My Little Pony n' Friends with an entirely different cast and setting, so I wouldn't blame them for calling it "G1.5".
A lot of people have been doing this within the community and it isn't much of problem/big deal; I don't understand how this can get some people ticked-off.

Who cares?  Are you serious?  People who have been a part of the MLP Collecting community, watched the show since they were little and collecting since the 1980's care.  That a bunch of new collectors decide to redefine the toy line according to shows, regardless of the precedence in the collecting community or the fact that some generations don't even have shows, is bound to be a little irritating to people who have been collecting for 15+ years. 

Hey everyone, lets start calling G1 Cotton Candy Pinkie Pie because that would make more sense because there's a G3, G3.5 and G4 Pinkie Pie.  This is basically like what calling MLP Tales anything other than G1 is.  It makes no sense at all.
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »
I don't understand the mentality of humanised pony behaviour being somehow different from early G1.

Spoiler
In Year 2 the adult ponies had Pony Wear which basically consisted of human clothing complete with sun hats, rollerskates and sweat bands. Baby ponies wore nappies, drank milk from bottles and slept in beds in a nursery right from Year 3. By Year 4, the ponies had a stereo and TV in the living room, were making toast in the kitchen and eating out of the refrigerator at Paradise Estate, and the babies had a dance school. Year 5 saw Scoops running an ice cream sweet shop and Big Brother ponies as football and baseball players, train and truck drivers and sailors. Heck, just look at the accessories that came with the Slumber Party Gift Pack: a game like Twister, television set, telephone, records, TEEN MAGAZINE.

Satin n Lace and Tux n Tails were first released in Year 6 complete with veil, dress, diamond ring, shoes, bow tie, etc. and the marriage theme continued in Year 8 with Pony Bride and Year 10 with Bridal Beauty. Year 7 Dance n Prance ponies had walkman, records and headphones for symbols, and there were playsets that consisted of a human-like bed, bathtub and baby's crib. Year 8 had Sweetsteps Ballerina ponies in their leotards and laced up shoes, and Prom Queen SHS ponies which had opera gloves and a violin for symbols. Also probably the most humanised pony in the world: Baby Chuck E Cheese. Year 9 Rockin Beats came with electric guitar brushes, and Good Weather took a boom box on her seaside holiday. Year 10 had the kitchen playset, complete with pots and pans, cookie cutters and a set of tongs that are clearly designed for human hands.

Saying that Tales in Year 11 being "humanised" makes it somehow different or special just speaks to a vast ignorance of the fact that ponies have always been very tied in to the human world and pop culture trends, regardless of the initial high fantasy show style (which only went up till Year 6, leaving nearly five years of humanised ponies as buffer before Tales visually expressed the current themes of the toyline). The change just seems like natural progression to me and I never got the need to distinguish it as something separate or abnormal out of the regular pony line.

Offline brighteyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »
Yea I know, but Tales is the exception in my opinion for show only. G3.5 is that way due to the art style and toys, but I would say G1.5 only refers to the show obviously not the toys.

But this makes no sense because there are G1 style toys for MLP Tales.  The toys are absolutely the same as all the other G1 toys.  To call Tales anything other than G1 is confusing.  Then people will wonder why Tales Bright Eyes looks like other G1 when Tales is "G1.5."  Maybe it clears up some *possible* confusion about the show, but it adds tons of confusion about the toys.
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Aquatic Neon

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2014, 03:12:23 PM »

But this makes no sense because there are G1 style toys for MLP Tales.  The toys are absolutely the same as all the other G1 toys.  To call Tales anything other than G1 is confusing.  Then people will wonder why Tales Bright Eyes looks like other G1 when Tales is "G1.5."  Maybe it clears up some *possible* confusion about the show, but it adds tons of confusion about the toys.

I'm not referring to the toys, its whatever though I'm over arguing my point, and to clarify I'm not a "new collector" I have been watching and played with ponies when i was a kid so over 20 years. I understand the toys are all G1 and Tales is late G1, I just don't like MLP and Friends grouped with Tales.

For Sale Wants

Offline brighteyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »

I'm not referring to the toys, its whatever though I'm over arguing my point, and to clarify I'm not a "new collector" I have been watching and played with ponies when i was a kid so over 20 years. I understand the toys are all G1 and Tales is late G1, I just don't like MLP and Friends grouped with Tales.

That's fine and you can have that opinion.  However, to call Tales anything other than G1 would be confusing from a standpoint of toy collectors as has been pointed out numerous times in this thread.  The generation has always been and always will be defined by the toy and not the show. 

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
Re: \"G1.5\" ...?
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2014, 03:50:09 PM »
The below is a Copy and paste from my tumblr (some parts of it are not in reference to this thread so anyone taking offense at anything is taking the copy and paste out of context when I wrote this. I'm posting it for dates/years.)

G2 MLP did not have a cartoon. If you look into the history of MLP, you will understand why… G2 is defined as the change in the toy line itself. My Little Pony tales, which a lot of bronies seem to identify as G2 is actually in the same style as G1, the toys and animation are pretty much the same the only difference is the setting the ponies live in inside the cartoon is different.

G2 the toy line is a direct and very obvious change in the whole toy and art style for MLP. That is why it is called G2. There are other reasons G2 is called G2, because previous to that there was never a generation tag associated with MLP. There are a couple of other reasons why the toy line defines MLP and I may get into those in a later post.

For your actual history lesson:

MY Little Pony franchise consists of:

1981 - Hasbro first production of a MLP, large pony called My Pretty Pony

1982 thru 1995 Hasbro G1 toy production.

1984 - the first TV special was created - aka “Rescue at Midnight Castle”/”Firefly’s Adventure”

1985 - second TV special was created - Escape from Catrina

1986 - My Little Pony the Movie

1986-1987 - My Little Pony TV series

1992 - My little Pony Tales TV series

As you can see, G1 production continued from 1982 thru 1995 - Tales was created in 1992, still during and within the Generation 1 timeline, toy and animation are the same.

Generation 2 MLP didn’t have a cartoon, it’s production started in 1997 and was a clear defined difference from what was produced previously. The art style and toys were completely different.

People that know very little of MLP history and some who clearly hate or dislike previous generations seem to be going by the animation when they call Tales G2, but EVEN if you go by the animation the art style is the same and the toys are exactly the same as G1.

Generation 3 started in 2003 - again, animation and toy were different from what came before.

People can deny it, argue it, but frankly if you look at the actual facts, time, dates and production of animation and toy it’s obviously that Tales is part of G1

Post Merge: July 09, 2014, 03:54:10 PM

You can argue you don't like it grouped but you are arguing with actual history and years when they were produced. You're not arguing with us, you're arguing with actual time.

Not to mention if you're ONLY talking about the cartoon and not the toy at all there is no need to use the generation title since they already have different names...one is MLP&Friends the other is Tales.

The whole generation thing came into being when newbies to MLP didn't know the difference in ponies like Sundance and Morning Glory because hasbro reused names on the G2 toys.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:12:16 PM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »
That's funny-  I hadn't seen G1.5 before-  I too would have guessed that maybe they meant the teen looking ponies or something near the end of G1.

It doesn't make sense to base the generation on the show-  the show is just a lengthy commercial.  So at some point for G1, the storyline of the commercial changed.   

It just so happened that when G3, 3.5 and 4 toys were made, there was no show on so shows were created to advertise for the new pony product, so shows were created, and they did look more like the products that were being sold. However, with this kind of show, the show is always just an add, regardless of how good it is.

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2014, 05:45:55 PM »
That's funny-  I hadn't seen G1.5 before-  I too would have guessed that maybe they meant the teen looking ponies or something near the end of G1.

It doesn't make sense to base the generation on the show-  the show is just a lengthy commercial.  So at some point for G1, the storyline of the commercial changed.   

It just so happened that when G3, 3.5 and 4 toys were made, there was no show on so shows were created to advertise for the new pony product, so shows were created, and they did look more like the products that were being sold. However, with this kind of show, the show is always just an add, regardless of how good it is.
Exactly.

It's an incredibly recent trend for children's toys to NOT have cartoons, which serve the purpose of being commercials to buy more toys. Hasbro was rather transparent with that goal when the G1 cartoons came out. Each new playset and series had an episode devoted to it. Heck, Paradise Estate gets a massive push in the G1 movie!

And every moderately successful toyline in the 80s did this. He-man, Care Bears, Transformers, Jem, Rainbow Brite, GI Joe, they all were established as toys for years and then became toys.

I do agree that yes it is more than a bit rude to ignore earlier MLP fans and collectors guidelines and just steamroll over them. That's been my axe to grind over a lot of bronies treatment to long time fans and collectors.

I ultimately don't mind the disagreements but the full on rudeness and disregard is unnecessary and, frankly, hurtful.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »
Aquatic Neon, it's true that MLP Tales is very different from MLP 'n Friends and maybe in its own universe, or the far future, or something.

But G1 is still a toy term.  If you said "MLP 'n Friends is way different from MLP Tales", everyone would be nodding.  But even though they are different universes, they are still all G1.  Like, Posey and Melody are literally in the exact same mold.

Heck, even in the Transformers fandom (which is where G1/G2 terms originated), the "G2 show" was not the reason for the two terms.  In fact, the "G2 show" consisted of reruns of the G1 Transformers show!  The only difference was they slapped a CGI opening on it!

If we're getting nitpicky, in the UK comic books, Majesty's fantasy world and the "modern" Tales world are clearly in the same universe.

They are just on different sides of the Rainbow.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal