collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "G1.5" ...?  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: "G1.5" ...?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 10:13:29 AM »
I think its for the fact that the style of the show is so different from G1. Meaning G1 was filled with adventure, sea ponies, villains, flutter ponies, etc. While tales was earth ponies living like humans. Yes maybe the art style was similar but the fact that the show is completely different is why people like to separate the two in fact growing up and for the longest time I thought Tales was G2s show because when I watched Tales on the Disney channel the G2 ponies were in the stores, and I thought I just never saw the main ponies, I had the white pony that looked a lot like Sweetheart though even though now I know she isn't.

Anyways not until really I started coming on here did I realize that people insist it is G1, I saw the G1 toys released for the show only in Europe though not around here. I think part of the problem is G2 never had a show so it's easy to say tales is G2 for some because its so different than G1. I love G1 so much more than Tales so it hurts to say they are the same thing. I actually prefer calling it G1.5 because of the huge differences in the plotline. I don't get the problem. (It's still saying it's G1 which is correct but specifying its the second half of G1.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

For Sale Wants

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »
If calling it G1.5 helps to keep people from confusing it with G2 then I'm fine with that.

Offline Ackryllis

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
Calling it G1.5 or Tales is so much better than g2. People who call it g2 annoy me so much. I once saw a drawing showing somebodys oc in all the gens except g2 was Tails. It ticked me off so badly since I love g2 boxart and stuff. Trying to correct resulted in the drawer getting angry at me and saying she goes by the animations.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 11:33:27 AM »
I think its for the fact that the style of the show is so different from G1. Meaning G1 was filled with adventure, sea ponies, villains, flutter ponies, etc. While tales was earth ponies living like humans. Yes maybe the art style was similar but the fact that the show is completely different is why people like to separate the two in fact growing up and for the longest time I thought Tales was G2s show because when I watched Tales on the Disney channel the G2 ponies were in the stores, and I thought I just never saw the main ponies, I had the white pony that looked a lot like Sweetheart though even though now I know she isn't.

The generations go by style of toy, not by the art style of the shows.

If the generations were arranged by show, the actual G2 ponies (Ivy, Hip Holly, etc) wouldn't have a generation at all, since they never had a show.

I mean, the gens are slightly connected to the shows in the sense that "these are the exact same characters in the same setting" was one of the reasons we have a G3.5, instead of making those ponies G4.  (ALTHOUGH there were some people pushing to count them as G4 at the time, and others who argued they should simply be G3.)

You have to look at it from a collector's POV . . . Here we are buying ponies at thrift shops, selling our extras . . . It's easiest if we can quickly differentiate these two ponies:

Because for one thing not everyone will want both kinds.  If you say "I have a G3.5 Pinkie Pie for sale", everyone will instantly know the style of toy you're talking about.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 11:47:57 AM »
A lot of people have been doing this within the community and it isn't much of problem/big deal; I don't understand how this can get some people ticked-off.
Anyways not until really I started coming on here did I realize that people insist it is G1
"Insisted"? Long time communities like this aren't just "insisting" that it's G1; they defined the generation numbers! That's why people get upset when treated as if all their time and consideration is now irrelevant.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 12:17:44 PM »
Bronies think they're the center of the pony universe right now.  You should see a thread on a brony forum about how they're the reason Friendship is Magic is still going.  Therefore their say on anything pony is the most important.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »
All of everything LadyMoondancer said x 1000. This is such a bug bear for me.

All those people have been interested in MLP and collecting MLP longer than...well...2 years, have been referring to things in a certain way for a pretty long time. Its not being snotty or unreasonable to politely state its annoying when people who clearly dont have enough of an interest in something to research or learn its history start reclassifying to suit their own wishes.

Personally I just think its a touch rude. Would anyone here enter any other collecting community or fandom and say "hey...I know you guys have been doing this for the last couple of decades but I am going to change this...oh yeah and if anyone says I am wrong...well...tough noogies to you"?

Unfortunately as others have mentioned, the rise of G4 has brought with it some kind of mass amnesia...forgetting My Little Pony is a TOY line with a "cartoon advert". 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 01:49:02 PM »
Meh, they are just a bunch of hair splitters with nothing better to do than make up a scientific classification for toys.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »
It comes down to this basically tales is different than G1 MLP and friends, same toy line different TV show, call it what you want to call it. G1, G1.5 is fine G2 is incorrect.

For Sale Wants

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 01:57:32 PM »
Why is it so hard to accept that My Little Pony is not about the show...that it is just a big advert? Its like changing the generations depending on the style of 30 second commercials or the packaging of the boxes.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Aquatic Neon

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 01:59:39 PM »
Yea it gets messy when you are talking about the show or the toys, I understand the shows are made to sell the toys, but when referring to the Tales TV SHOW its not the same as the G1 TV show.

For Sale Wants

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »
Interestingly it hasnt been messy from about 1997 to 2010...it just got messy from 2010 onwards curiously enough.
Loa is my love god!

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »
Yeah, the generations have almost nothing to even do with the shows. It refers to the style of mold the TOYS are made in. The shows happen to be about the toys.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »
Calling it G2 or G1.5 would be like saying season 3 of the original G1 TF series is G2  :huh: because the plot and theme  is different

I know is in the same show but Hasbro did ment to kill Optimus for good an replace him wit Hot Rod/ Rodimus

If you compare S3 wit the two previous season, S3 is futuristic, deeper plot and characters and even dark / grim, mush serius  tone instead of "lets punch the badguys and save the day" followed by "I will be back by Megatron" theme of S1 and S2
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:12:57 PM by Sapphire-Light »

Offline Aquatic Neon

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »
Well G3 and G3.5 are almost the exact same thing, same characters, same show basically, just different art style and toys.

While Tales vs. G1 are completely different yes similar art style, same toys, but totally different shows, different characters, different plot line, and next to zero fantasy, the ponies are basically human.

I don't see the harm in calling the TV show of MLP Tales G1.5, thats my opinion.

For Sale Wants

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal