collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "G1.5" ...?  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
"G1.5" ...?
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:36:17 AM »
So I just logged on dA, and found that a group had requested for one of my drawings to be in their gallery. Sure, I thought, accepted and went to check the group out. Found another interesting group in the affiliates and also checked this one out.
Looks like friendly and nice groups, there's no problem with that.
I was just surprised to see folders named "g1.5". (they both have folders for art of g1, g2, g3, g3.5 and g4. Apparently also this "g1.5")

First I was confused but figured that must be for like, Dream Beauties and SHS ponies, since they look radically different than the rest of g1.
A closer look told me that it's actually for MLP Tales.
Since when has that been its own sub-gen? That actually kind of ticked me off... g3.5 looks different both in art style and pony style, and they re-released the same "bore 7" over and over again.
Tales... well, the ponies are in G1 molds.
They were released once ('sept for Melody, who got a go at rollerskating, and if you count nirvanas).
They were released at the same time as other G1s were. (or are all the late UK/Europe ponies G1.5?)
The art style is pretty much the same as g1, only they're a bit more... humanized? As in how they live, what they do, things they have (cars, freestyles, bikes).
I don't think it's, style-wise, much different from the older G1 cartoons. (and then, about the rollerskate ponies, we have to include Jazzie and Hip Hop in the "G1.5" 'cause if Tales is b/c being more humanized... well these are wearing SKATES and FREESTYLES and SUNGLASSES.)
It's even the same logo.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

G3 and G3.5 have similar logos, but it's not the same. (ok and they changed the "y" in the Tales logo, but big deal?)

It ticked me off. I'm like, "nooo don't go messing with our old classifications when they're fine as they are". Or have I missed something?
*steams off to kitchen to get tea*

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
Re: "G1.5" ...?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:42:32 AM »
Oh, don't get me started on the categories people are putting Tales in these days. >.< They have always been G1, but then all of the sudden (just in the last few years) people were calling them G2! And now someone has them as G1.5?? No, just no. Tales is part of the G1 line, end of story.

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:33:30 AM »
Ohhhh lord I ran across everyone on another site I go to calling it G2 and got mauled for trying to correct them >.>

Offline Shaiyeh

• View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 02:36:05 AM »
Whyyy?? Honestly, can people do their research? What were they saying to justify Tales is g2? From that cover of the released dvd during g2 years?

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 02:47:55 AM »
A lot of new fans think that once a different show starts you get a different gen.
It's what you get when people only know about the shows and can't be bothered to learn about the thing they claim to be fans of.
Not that "1.5" even makes sense when you would only look at the shows. By that logic Equestria Girls would be "4.5" or something and those Newborn Cutie animations would be "3.75"...

Offline Shaiyeh

• View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 02:56:03 AM »
Yes, I guess it'd be the reason why... but then, really, g3 cartoons would be g2, then we'd have the .5 and .75 and then g4 would be g3 with that logic. Seeing as G2 don't even have a cartoon.

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 03:09:48 AM »
I love when new fans try to redefine aspects of previous gens rather than, you know, taking a few minutes to actually learn about it.  Seriously how long does it take to read the Wiki article on MLP Tales?  It is G1, not G1.5, G2, G1.25 or G 1 and 1/4.  This is one of my biggest peeves.  I watched MLP Tales when I was a kid and someone tries to tell me now it suddenly represents a whole new generation because its animation style is different.  Oh rly?  What about Escape from Midnight Castle vs. later MLP Friends?  Pretty different animation style, though similar content. 

FIM is the FIRST generation of toys that is defined by the show rather than the show being defined by the toys.  In G2 they didn't even have a show, the toys stood on their own.  G1 had shows and specials that promoted where they toy line was moving and G3 had just a series of specials to promote the toy lines.  G4 has been more defined by FIM than other generations to the point that toy releases are changed to fit the show- the pink Celestia being released eventually as white.  But even FIM is not exempt from toys driving the show as in in the case of the Equestria Girls.  I'm sure Hasbro decided they wanted to release MLP dolls and told the writers to make a movie that introduced them.  So I am so tired of people coming at previous gens from an FIM perspective and trying to make the shows define the older gens.  It is such a backwards way to approach them and absolutely does not make sense.
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 03:38:54 AM »
Technically Tales was meant to drive the coming year's toys rather than promote toys already released.

I've seen my fair share of "Tales is G2" posts on other sites.  There are some where even after I correct them they insist of continuing because they go by the shows.

Tales was shown alongside repeats of My Little Pony and Friends for crying out loud.  Even going by the shows it's G1.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 06:44:04 AM »
While I understand and agree that Tales is G1 and not anything else, I also understand that people coming into the fandom would be confused. After all, they probably haven't even see any Tales toys, since they're not common (even if they know something about G1 toys they might never see a Tales toy).

When I first started collecting MLP's over a decade ago, I remember coming into the fandom myself and being confused about Tales. The cartoon really is a completely different world than the one we see in My Little Pony And Friends... a different universe even! And I remember at the time I had wished there was a way of telling the Tales ponies apart from the other worlds, a category label, like we have for the different Gens.

It's true they definitely are G1, and also true that it can be annoying when we have a set structure ("Gen" = a line of toys, not a cartoon) that is being ignored by newer members of the fandom, but I can understand why someone might choose to call Tales G1.5.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 07:00:35 AM »
At least it's less annoying than people claiming Tales is "G2."  But yeah--I feel ya!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 07:26:11 AM »
Ugh, this annoys me too -_-; I wish they'd stop trying to change long established things (if that makes sense). I prefer "G1.5" to calling it "G2", but still.. I don't see what's wrong with just calling it "Tales". -shrug-

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 07:34:56 AM »
The problem I have is that instead of being confused and taking five minutes to find more information about it, they just assume that Tales is G2 or G1.5 or whatever.  There is a wealth of information out there on every subject.  It doesn't take much effort to find it.  There's nothing wrong with not knowing something, no one knows everything.  It's not taking the time to learn and jumping to conclusions that annoys me.
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 08:22:46 AM »
The problem I have is that instead of being confused and taking five minutes to find more information about it, they just assume that Tales is G2 or G1.5 or whatever.  There is a wealth of information out there on every subject.  It doesn't take much effort to find it.  There's nothing wrong with not knowing something, no one knows everything.  It's not taking the time to learn and jumping to conclusions that annoys me.

This is why i was so annoyed when even the brony documentary couldn't get it right. It showed they had done no research what so ever on previous gens. (Not to mention it resulting in more people thinking that Tales is G2.)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 09:20:59 AM »
Oh I think I know what group you are talking about. I think on of my drawings was asked to be posted there... Yep found it... if it's the same mlp group on DA it started 2 years ago.. so about mid-way through the G4 era so far. I didn't take much notice in it till now though
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

An 80s Pony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 09:37:45 AM »
Who cares?
It's a spin-off of My Little Pony n' Friends with an entirely different cast and setting, so I wouldn't blame them for calling it "G1.5".
A lot of people have been doing this within the community and it isn't much of problem/big deal; I don't understand how this can get some people ticked-off.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal