collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why on earth does Ebay allow this?  (Read 1295 times)

Offline babylofty

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Why on earth does Ebay allow this?
« on: June 15, 2014, 02:04:42 PM »
I know, common sense isn't common. But I put something up on Ebay last night (non-mlp) and now I have someone in Peru bidding on it.   I explicitly put on my auction set-up that I would not ship internationally, by pressing the button that says "Shipping to: United States".

I have six days left on the auction, so I'm not panicking yet. I'm just wondering why Ebay even allows this to happen. If I don't want to ship internationally, I shouldn't have to!
darcerin on the TP, arinaketchum on ebay, Salvia on PI

Offline ajmeier55

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why on earth does Ebay allow this?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »
I had that happened to me on a buy it now and they paid right away so I just explained that I don't ship internationally as stated in my auction and refunded the money. And they were ok with it I think there is a way you can cancel the bid too?

sunshine29102

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 03:30:40 PM »
have you tried sending them a message politely explaining that you do not ship internationally (as you clearly stated in the auction description), and maybe asking if perhaps they have a US address they will have it shipped to? I had that happen once, but the person's relative was in the US and they shared a paypal address, so it didn't have to be shipped internationally.

If need be, the bid can be cancelled by the seller also. 

Just putting this out there for you, even though you said you don't want to ship internationally.  eBay's global shipping program is GREAT.  I wouldn't ship internationally if it weren't for it.  The buyer pays for the item, then you ship it to the sorting center in Kentucky (so the cost is only what it would cost you to ship to KY), and the buyer pays the rest (eBay sorting center ships the package from KY to its international destination).  I've not had any problems with this program. 

Hope it all works out for the best! :)

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 06:10:09 PM »
Just a thought sometimes the person may actually live aboard but their profile will still come up with their original country off origin although their primary shipping address may actually be a usa one. I have had this happen to me many times hence why I thought its worth mentioning although it is a unlike case. I buy from the uk alot as my primary address is in the uk however it will come up that I am from NZ so many times sellers message me saying I do not ship aboard and i just explain my situation and everyone has been fine with it and allowed my bid to stay.

Anyhow ebay suxs, they just want money from fees hence why I am not surprise they disregard your postal preferences :/ 

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 10:02:43 PM »
I also think it's possible that your GSP is currently set to on. Almost every auction I've looked at in the last month where the seller is in the US has been using GSP but at least 35% state in their listings that they DON'T ship outside the US.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sabrina

• Trade Count: (+88)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:33:20 PM »
I also think it's possible that your GSP is currently set to on. Almost every auction I've looked at in the last month where the seller is in the US has been using GSP but at least 35% state in their listings that they DON'T ship outside the US.

I've noticed this too. I read in another thread that the GSP can be switched on and the seller not realise it. :huh:

Offline babylofty

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 12:46:35 PM »
I thought I had switched that off when it first came out, but I'm going to double check tonight.

There is a specific part of the auction set-up where it asks you where you want to sell to: Within the US, Internationally, or local pick-up.  If I chose US only at the time I set up the auction, Ebay should honor that, not hide behind "Oh, but your profile says you want GSP!"

This item has potential to go into a bidding war, and what I don't want is someone bidding internationally, thinking it's only going to cost them $5 to ship it to them, and then I lose a ton of money on shipping because of it.

I've still got time, but I'm obviously going to have to research my account settings tonight. Ugh, what a pain, Ebay!!

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 01:24:23 PM »
If you set it to US only and the GSP is turned on, the potential buyer shouldn't see the US shipping price, it should show some outrageous price plus import charges. If the GSP isn't turned on and your settings somehow got changed then they probably don't see a shipping price at all.

I agree that ebay should honor your settings, I really think it's shady of them to do that. It's upsetting to both buyers and sellers, not to mention confusing.

Offline emery

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+488)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • emery's emporium - My Little Ponies & other toys for sale
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 12:04:43 AM »
I think what you need is under Buyer Requirements on the listing page (you would have to go to revise listing since it's already active). Scroll down to Buyer Requirements and click the link to change them and then check the box to block buyers who "Have a primary shipping address in countries that I don't ship to".
My Little Ponies and other toys for sale on....
Facebook @EmerysVintageEmporium
Instagram @emerys_emporium

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 04:01:21 AM »
I would check what MG and Emery have suggested. It could be either one to be honest. The reason I say that is because eBay doesn't make things easy anymore, you literally have to jump through hoops.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 05:12:49 PM »
That is such an insanely hidden option!  Very bad Ebay, bad!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline babylofty

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 09:21:39 PM »
Well, I apparently never opted out of the Global Shipping Program, but I did now (really well hidden, too.)

I'm going to have to cancel his bid either way. I just realized the auction is going to end while I'm away on vacation, and there's no way I'm dragging this thing with me, potentially damaging it while I move around, then try to ship it.  I'll just have to relist once I get home.  I have a few other things for auction, but no one appears to have noticed them, so I'm just going to pull those. The fourth item I have got a bid, but it's a small item and I can bring that with me if I have to.

Thanks for all your advice guys. I'm going to be much more careful in the future about how I list - oh and apparently new seller rules are coming out soon - they appear to have snuck that in. I'll have to post them here when I find them again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal