collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Hair Falling Out or Breaking Off? How do I Fix it?  (Read 461 times)

Offline telelle_wings

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • G1 Unicorn Addict
    • View Profile
Pony Hair Falling Out or Breaking Off? How do I Fix it?
« on: May 08, 2014, 03:54:24 PM »
I recently acquired a G1 pony, Blossom, and it's like she's gone through chemo. Her hair is trying to fall out when I touch it. I don't even have to comb it or even really pull and some hairs will come with my fingers. It's not so bad that she's bald but I'd like to stop the shedding if I can. I've never seen a pony loose hair like this, it's totally weird.

Anyone have an ideas? How do I fix this? Has this happened to anyone else's ponies?

Post Merge: May 09, 2014, 10:06:33 AM

I've looked at the hair a little more and it's not *pulling out of the plugs* it's *breaking*.

Like it's brittle and it's just breaking off in the middle of hair strands.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:07:24 AM by telelle_wings »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Hair Falling Out or Breaking Off? How do I Fix it?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 03:20:18 PM »
Unfortunately I would guess that at some point her hair has perhaps been exposed to a chemical and the sun or some combo which has caused the hair to break down. Something as simple as her being exposed to chlorine and then eventually to heat/sunlight would make the hair brittle over time.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sawkinator

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 06:42:31 PM »
You really can't stop the hair from falling out once it's broken down like that - unless you never want to touch her again.  :P

I think your best bet is to just remove all the old hair and rehair her (which, if you've never done it before, is pretty easy but time-consuming).

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 05:33:43 AM »
I've never had this happen to a pony, but it did happen to a Cardcaptor Sakura doll that I've had for years, which had mostly been sitting in storage. It practically fell out at the slightest touch and now she's bald. It made me so sad, but now that I have some rehairing practice I suppose I could try to give her new hair. But yeah, whether it's the hair itself or the glue that holds it in breaking down, giving her new hair is really the best recourse.

As Sawkinator said, it's pretty time consuming but once you get the hang of it, it's fun and relatively easy. Plus, when you rehair a pony you get the chance to add a little creative flair to it, if you want.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline telelle_wings

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • G1 Unicorn Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 09:31:18 AM »
True! Maybe I should look at this as the perfect opportunity to learn how to rehair ponies. Thanks everyone for your input. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal