collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: flocking?  (Read 688 times)

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
flocking?
« on: May 02, 2014, 01:55:56 AM »
anyone know where and how to get it ? looked on ebay and amazon but they only have it for nails and i dont think that would be enough :/ xaflame

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: flocking?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:07:19 AM »
I have never used this company before and don't even recall where I found the address for them, but I've had a LOT of fun playing on the website and looking at all of the products they have! 

http://www.craftflocking.com/index.php?pr=Buy_Flocking

*Edit to add* I do seem to remember maybe a member here using them to flock a pony using this company's "Flitter", but I could be totally wrong. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:09:26 AM by Katika »

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure I bought mine at restoredoll.com

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:51:26 AM »
I get mine at craft supply stores.  We have a scrapbooking store around here that has it.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »
I have never used this company before and don't even recall where I found the address for them, but I've had a LOT of fun playing on the website and looking at all of the products they have! 

http://www.craftflocking.com/index.php?pr=Buy_Flocking

*Edit to add* I do seem to remember maybe a member here using them to flock a pony using this company's "Flitter", but I could be totally wrong. 

I've bought from them a couple of times.  The small bags give you a lot of flocking - I flocked a 7" Munny figure and a Big Brother pony with two layers and had flocking to spare -  and it's really, really plush and soft.  Let me know if you want to see examples and I'll dig out or take some pictures.

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 12:05:35 AM »
oh  yes please xaflame

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 05:31:16 AM »
Ditto I want to see!

I bought a bunch from:
http://stores.ebay.com/Flocking-Unlimited?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

but I haven't played with it yet.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 05:36:14 AM by BarbedDragon »
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 06:43:31 AM »
Alright!  Here's the projects that I've done, but first, here's my flocking how-to.

Everything was painted with a base color that matched the flocking to make the colors supersaturated.  The flocking is at least two layers thick, because it just looks better.  You'll want to do everything that you need to do with your project so that the flocking is the very nearly the last step - I'll get into that below.

I do everything in small areas, brushing on about a 1"x1" area of glue and pressing the flocking into place before moving on to the next area.  I try to leave the outer edges of each "glue patch" open and blend it into the next patch (as though the patches overlap) so that I don't end up with an obvious, patchy grid when everything is done, but it'll happen in spots anyway.  Don't worry about it, you can fix it in the next layer.  I don't shake off the excess flocking until everything has dried over night, then I shake/brush it off and recycle it for the next layer. 

I've found that working over a plastic container with low sides works well.  Rather than sprinkling the flocking over it all, I dump about a tablespoon of flocking in the container (I use a plastic on from a local grocery store's salad bar), and just pick it up and press everything where it's supposed to be, although I'm sure that if you had a small enough piece you could just coat the whole thing with your glue and drop it into the bag of flocking and coat it Shake N Bake style.

You can shake/brush/tap the excess flocking off and recycle it for another project or another layer once everything is dry.  It's important to not shake the excess off until it's dry so that you don't lose any flocking that may have otherwise stuck; you'll have less touching up to do with the next layer.  My second layer is usually devoted to trying to make everything looking consistently thick across everything.  Pay attention to areas with corners/angles, such as where the bottom of the hoof meets the bottom edge of the leg, or the edges of rear legs where it's flat, because they'll need extra attention.

I seal everything with Dullcoat to keep it from shedding, holding the can about 8"-10" away from the object being sealed.  If you're going to seal it, do it before you use anything like Triple Thick Gloss, otherwise you'll dull the glossy bits and need to reapply the gloss.  Once you've sealed, let it dry and then brush everything off with a fluffy brush to get any extra fibers off of things.  You'll be finding flocking everywhere for a while, it's amazingly awful to try and clean up.  This is the point where you can gloss anything that needs it, just make sure that there's no stray fibers on the surface of whatever you're glossing, otherwise you'll seal that stuff in.

And now, the projects!  First up, Tibbers!  He was a 7" vinyl Munny that I got as part of a trade for a custom. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The flocking makes an awesome contrast to the sculpted bits and the flat painted areas, like his tummy and mouth.

I also made a Big Brother Chewbacca.

He actually uses two shades of flocking, neither of which really matched the paint that I used on him, which resulted in him having a bit more accurate coat.  Again, there's a nice contrast between the fur and the non-flocked parts like his eyes and his sculpted bandoleer.  I flocked him before I rehaired him, since I didn't enjoy the thought of trying to get flocking out of his mane and tail.  Since I only did one layer of flocking over the plug holes, it wasn't difficult to root the mane at all.

Both Tibbers and Chewy were sealed with Dullcote after I flocked them.  It will keep them from shedding, but the trade off is that they don't feel fuzzy like So Soft ponies, but definitely don't feel like I sculpted their fur with a texturizing paint.

However, Cookie was left unsealed to keep him soft.

Since he's not a huge piece (he's actually only about the size of my whole thumb) that would be handled much, I left Cookie all soft and fuzzy. 

Any other questions?

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 07:14:17 AM »
These are AWESOME!!! What kind of glue did you use?
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 07:18:12 AM »
These are AWESOME!!! What kind of glue did you use?

Mod Podge - since I no longer use it to seal things, I repurposed it.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »
Those look great! 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal