collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 had the best Spike the Dragon  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
G3 had the best Spike the Dragon
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:25:50 PM »
Does my thread title challenge common wisdom? Before you protest my opinion, consider;

-G1 Spike started as an evil minion, was the butt of several jokes (like getting hit in the head by a volleyball), was Lickety Split's abuse victim, set off the traps meant for the ghost in paradise estate, and generally had the brain power of chowder.

-G4 Spike is neglected and mistreated by the writers, his feelings are ignored in favor of a mary-sue owl, he's ignored and even has his feelings exploited by the object of his crush (rarity), and even in the plot that's supposed to build him up (power ponies) he's still treated like a joke. I mean, why didn't he turn into a superhero that exploited his natural ability to BREATH FIRE? His only readeaming moment was his saving the crystal empire.

-G3 Master Kengrowth Gilsopttum Heathspike is a posh, competent dragon with a funny sense of humor, whom the ponies respect and go to for advice. He knows a lot of history and lore, and is very intelligent. The only time the plot took advantage of him was when he pulled rainbow dash's cart of suitcases, and most of the time he's very well presented and is on the ball.
 He is a leader and advisor, instead of a servant/baby/ butt of jokes at his expense.

I personally like the G3 incarnation the best, but I'm open to the opinion of others. What do you all think?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:29:56 PM by Firehooves »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: G3 had the best Spike the Dragon
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:47:46 AM »
...but, but, I love G1 Spike! He's so cute and good-hearted. He plays well into the story lines and has been successful enough with Hasrro that he has lasted through the years of animation and toy lines.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »
...G1 Spike wasn't an evil minion? He just tagged along with Scorpan and generally acted like his little brother.

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:01:23 AM »
I don't think G1 Spike was an evil minion. He was loyal to Scorpan and stuck with him. I don't think his intelligence was any lower than the baby ponies - he is a baby dragon after all. I think Lickety Split was mean to everyone, not just Spike.

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:16:37 AM »
I don't think G1 Spike was an evil minion. He was loyal to Scorpan and stuck with him. I don't think his intelligence was any lower than the baby ponies - he is a baby dragon after all. I think Lickety Split was mean to everyone, not just Spike.

Baby Lickety Split was a complete narcissist.

Offline Firehooves

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »
...I didn't say G1 spike was a WILLING evil minion, just that he was hanging around with the bad guys when we first meet him. Ans no, he wasn't dumb ethier, just a baby- and a pretty smart baby at that, considering everything he did acomplish. But the writers treated G3 adult with more respect than the other two.

I think G4 is the worst, he does all that work and is treated like a joke by the writers, and I'm sorry, but spike's search had a waay better message than Dragon's Quest (G1 had Danny say not all dragon are probably bad like that bunch, vs. G4 where all dragons are potrayed as jerks, and spike  ahould be greatful he was raised by ponies and acts like THEM instead of like one of his own kind- ugh!)

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 11:41:21 AM »
I just can't get past how silly G3 Spike's design is - to me he doesn't look like a dragon, just an overly-ornamented lizard.  And he doesn't come across as a character I would like to know.

I love the G1 Spike - he's adorable and has a good heart.  I like to think that sometimes he's the conscience of the ponies when their ideas run away with them.

I like G4 Spike too - the owl episode resolved itself- it's not a recurring theme that Twilight prefers him over Spike (plus the owl's been put more into the "pet-zone"), and generally the ponies do treat him well - I mean they all have episodes where they are all either exploited or teased.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:16:46 PM »
Well as there was no Spike toy in G3, I am always going to think G1 Spike is the best. :) But even if I was just to take the cartoons I would go that way. G3 Spike just annoys me lol; condescending little brat sometimes :P I think my mind always makes Spike an assistant of some kind whether it be Majesty's PA or Twilight Sparkle's letter writer. So I am happier with him in that role.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 01:11:25 PM »
And [G3 Spike] doesn't come across as a character I would like to know.
This for me. G1 and G4 Spikes are pretty much variations on each other, so G3 stands out in that way, but I don't really like him as a person. On the other hand, I'm not too fond of any of them, except maybe G1 for sheer lack of exposure.

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »
G3 Spike's probably my favourite as well, he makes me laugh.  :lol:
I love G1 Spike as well, although his voice has the effect of chalk on a blackboard to me.

I don't really care for his G4 incarnation, he started out more competent & likeable, then gradually became a whiny punching bag. His obsession with Rarity seems to be the only character trait he has left, & that schtick got old years ago.
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 02:07:59 PM »
All the Spikes are cute little dragons, but if I had to make a list it would look like this:

G3 Spike
G1 Spike
G4 Spike

G4 Spike started out as the little brother type and I loved him, then he was written badly a few times and now he's just an annoying Nice Guy (TM). Sorry, but I hate his crush on Rarity by now. There's nothing sweet about it anymore. Spike, she's just not into you. Accept and move on :P

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 02:22:40 PM »
G3 spike is my favorite too. Design wise i think he looks the most like an actual dragon (he is the only Spike that actually has claws).
I also love his personality and full name. I was also very happy to see a more "mature" and male character in G3. It's such a pity he never got a toy.

G1 Spike is actually my least favorite. I never liked the fact that he had a wierd kind of "flesh" colour.
Like he has skin instead of scales.

Offline Firehooves

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »
I dunno, G3 Spike, once he got over a little of his 'must serve a princess' stuffiness, seems to be a really nice dragon, is very friendly, and gets along with all of them really well. It's also the only time he's in charge of the situation and the ponies actually respect him.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »
I think he was just as annoying as the G3 cartoons themselves. =P I love G1 and G4 Spike though.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 06:26:35 PM »
As much as I love G3, I disagree :s G3 Spike is downright annoying to me...his snooty accent was a real killer for me  -_- (I could barely get through The Princess Promade because of it)
And G4 isn't better  :|
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal