collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cleaning G1 Hasbro Softies?  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
Cleaning G1 Hasbro Softies?
« on: April 17, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »
Hey guys! :biggrin:

My pretty Bowtie plush I bought on eBay last weekend has finally come in. She not in awful condition, but I'd like to clean her up a bit.

Can any of you direct me to some tutorials or give me tips on how to clean this beauty? I need help with hair, basic surface cleaning (she doesn't have any bad stains or such), and possibly fixing up pain scratches on her eye.

Thank you! xo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning G1 Hasbro Softies?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 01:43:52 PM »
You can put her in the washer.  :)  Stick her in a pillowcase and tie the end shut.  I wash mine on delicate or hand wash.  Then, you can either dry her in the dryer on AIR DRY (NO HEAT) or you can hang her up somewhere to air dry.  I'm impatient, so mine go in the dryer.  You'll have to detangle and condition the hair afterwards either way.  Then you can use black Sharpie on her eyes, acrylic for the colored bits.  Make sure you seal acrylic. 

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:56:50 PM »
Thanks Skeen! I wasn't sure if the washer would be safe or not for her.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »
the washer is  perfectly safe i've washed a ton of mine int here

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »
Yep, washers are generally safe for Softies - you just have to protect their eyes from rubbing against the metal tub; that's what the pillowcase is for.  It's very, very important that you do not use heat to dry them, the fabric is prone to melting/scorching (!!!) when exposed to high dryer heat. Eek. There's no restoring from that either, so air dry is best, hang them outside even in a shady spot if weather permits.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

phoenixsoul85

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 03:21:40 PM »
Bekuno,

Thanks so much for asking this.  I have a Firefly that I just got and was wondering the SAME things. 

I also want to share that her hair came braided and held together with twist ties.  Haha! 

Happy cleaning!!!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
Ooh, that's reminds me of a good point to add - I'd braid their hair before washing or very securely tie it in multiple places, helps keep the washing machine from turning it into a frizzy mess. Unbraid and comb gently before you dry so it doesn't get too kinked.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 05:11:59 AM »
I tend to hand wash them only; however thats paranoia rather than for any other reason. I know a washer on delicate or hand wash works fine.

Also when you are drying them make sure you have them standing in their upright position. I find its best to allow water to drain from them that way to ensure they maintain their shape.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

phoenixsoul85

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »
I tend to hand wash them only; however thats paranoia rather than for any other reason. I know a washer on delicate or hand wash works fine.

Also when you are drying them make sure you have them standing in their upright position. I find its best to allow water to drain from them that way to ensure they maintain their shape.

OOOOOOH!!!  I finally have a good reason to use the shoe drying rack in my dryer.  It will, from this day forth, be referred to as the PONY DRYING RACK.

Thanks Cat!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal