collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Vintage MLP on Toy Hunters!  (Read 1583 times)

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Vintage MLP on Toy Hunters!
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 07:57:12 AM »
Ive heard of that show!! I have always wanted to watch it but we have been watching Pokemon Indigo league on netflix LOL! I will definitly watch it with my husband-sounds like our kind of show! Any show with collectible toys and vintage license characters sounds like a dream! <3

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »
Hmm...I met him at New York ComicCon in October this past year and asked him about My Little Pony when he hunts. He told me he was not familiar with that market and to send him an email. Well never heard back from him.

Things that make you go hmm...

Yeah most of his shows concentrate on boys toys and maybe a handful of girl toys like She-Ra, early/pre-80s.  He had some Care Bear and Strawberry Shortcake on one or 2 episodes but really, really overestimated their worth I think.  At least the Care Bears as I don't remember the SSC episode as well.  He bought some MIB 80s Care Bear plushies and estimated them to sell at really high prices.  From what I have seen online, they don't really sell near those prices unless they are rare ones.  Seems like the show would just make people think anything they have is worth big bucks. 

Also, I looked at his page on Travelchannel.com and Facebook and there are tons of people that contact him but it shows no replies from him.

I don't know, I enjoy seeing the toys on the show but I think I would find him annoying to be around :lol: .
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 09:48:49 AM »
gosh.  I wonder if this episode is going to be online?  i'm curious to see it now.

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 03:17:12 PM »
Well, the main guy wasn't the one who bought the ponies, but his friend. This other guy is more expert on "girl's toys". He buys dolls a lot more, and was the one who found the ponies. He automatically knew the value of those ponies, and I loved it! He handed the box very carefully, showing off that it was perfectly mint, the ponies were mint, the bubble wasn't even dusty..... so for those who are disappointed by the main guy being a "boy's toy" kind of guy, worry not. Someone who knows what he got owns them!
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 04:31:07 PM »
Thats very cool! I would love to spot ponies on one of these shows. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »
You can see the Hasbro MLP booth at SDCC in one of the more recent episodes as the camera pans around.  You can make out a very large white pony in a case.  Kind of looks like DJ Pon-3

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 11:10:03 AM »
My fiance gave up on watching that show after he give really unfair prices to the person he planned to buy some Transformers off of.  One of them was the gold Optimus Prime where there are like only 2 in existence and the guy trying to buy was offering really weak amounts of money for it.  That toy alone would cost more than an arm and a leg and he was offering only the minimum.  Haven't watched the show since.

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 11:24:49 AM »
I've never heard of this show. What network is it on?

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 11:45:35 AM »
I think it's the travel Channel I found it on their website, but couldn't figure it out (only plays ads?)
does anyone have a link?

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 01:01:41 PM »
Personally, the show (ie, the host) annoys me so I don't watch it, but my husband does. He actually got into some background shots on one of the episodes they were filming at C2E2 in Chicago  :D  From what my husband said happened after the cameras stopped rolling, the sales bit they aired on TV appears to have been staged.     After the father and daughter left with the expensive vintage toy they "bought", someone from the crew got a handful of money from the cashbox, ran off, and came back with the same toy, which they put back up on the shelf.    Hmmm....

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »
*hiss*  I hate these kind of shows - the more publicity our collectibles get, the more people over-value them and the bargain hunting gets super hard.  :(  I would rather not have sellers claiming that Peachy is worth $60.00, thanks!  It's bad enough that places like Goodwill pull ponies from general donations and then sell them on their overpriced auction site... 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

HannahBeth333

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 02:42:19 PM »
That's awesome

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »
Well, number one these shows are pretty much all set up beforehand. They've learned from shows like American Pickers that going to a collector's home and then not being able to buy anything SUCKS, so they know prior to filming what the Collector is all about. Dude gives them a price, and it's up to the collector to accept or not. Noone can tell me that the Transformers collector had no clue what his Gold Optimus was worth!
Also, the people who are filmed are compensated for their time, so it's not like they're being taken advantage of, and they have to sign consent waivers and stuff as well. So really, it's pretty on the level, but of course if dude only made $10 bucks off each item it wouldn't spur people to want to look into their old boxes and then sign on to the website asking questions. It's all about ratings, with the added perk of dude gets to be paid to travel all over the place looking for something he loves...something he used to do for free :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal