collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FIM Art Ideas WANTED  (Read 410 times)

A-lure

• Trade Count: (0)
FIM Art Ideas WANTED
« on: February 18, 2014, 06:07:55 AM »
Hey Pony-folk! I'm in a bit of a bind. I have a small local convention coming up near the end of March and I will be selling some art and stickers and things. I really want to do some FIM prints and stuff, and I have lots of ideas for stickers and small things, but I can't seem to come up with any ideas for prints that I really like.
SO MY QUESTION TO YOU ISSSSS...
If you were at a con, what sort of scene or print of the FIM characters would YOU be interested in? what would be something you would spend money on? Obviously a print with the whole cast is something that I would like to do but it's hard to assemble one that is original. Any ideas help! They don't even have to make sense or be "generic", I'm just looking for inspiration.

Offline Iris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://shadesofrain.deviantart.com/
Re: FIM Art Ideas WANTED
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 06:15:57 AM »
Is it a pony specific convention or some other kind of convention?  I know when I was selling at an anime convention once I did a set of the Mane Six dressed up like anime characters that had some sort of similarity to. (For instance, Fluttershy was a pokemon trainer, Pinkie Pie was Excel from Excel Saga, Twilight was 'The Paper' from Read or Die).  If it's some other convention you can try to mix the too things, not a whole lot of people do that and it's pretty unique. :3

You could also try pairing the ponies (whether that be in shippable pairs or just the two being friends and doing something fun, like Rarity helping Pinkie Pie decorate a cake or whatever).

Truth be told I have so many prints that I never really (or very very very very rarely) buy them myself and am much more interested in commissions (even if it's quickie sketch ones) when I go to artist alleys, so if that's a possibility you might want to consider that too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »
Iris gave you some great advice, I've never gone to cons so unfortunately I'm not much help here. Personally I would be looking for some affordable pieces like stickers and other small items you mentioned, and doing sketch commissions on the spot sounds like a great idea.

As for prints, I think it depends a lot on the audience. I know my preferences are somewhat different from your average FiM fan's, I'm rarely interested in show accurate pictures but prefer original styles... Nevertheless, individual portraits or pony pairs like Iris suggested would probably sell, everyone could get one with their favourite pony. Or maybe portrait each pony with their pet? Sorry I don't really have ideas for a large scene, hope someone else will be able to give you some input and ideas! 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

G4Sweeties

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:39:42 AM »
I like stuff like in the comics where its all Where's Waldo style! Basically, a shot of Ponyville and just ponies doing their daily antics is fun to me :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:23:06 AM »
While its not something that appeals to me personally, I would think for a lot of cons the popular fanon concepts are going to go down well. So muffin pony and Dr Whooves with the tardis. Bon Bon & Lyra hanging out together. Nightmare Moon causing mayhem. Profiles of Discord, Trixie and the other popular characters that dont have much by the way of official artwork. That kind of thing. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

A-lure

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:48:08 AM »
Thanks all!! These are all really great suggestions. c: This particular convention is just in honour of geeks and nerds in general. I will be offering pony commissions s maybe I will just do those instead of trying to muster out a big print.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal