collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Am I a Brony or Something Else? Help needed.  (Read 3176 times)

wurmund

• Trade Count: (0)
Am I a Brony or Something Else? Help needed.
« on: February 14, 2014, 04:32:59 AM »
So, being a male fan, I've always referred to myself as a Brony. Until recently, I never thought anything of it. Recently though, I've had several verbal attacks made towards me, calling me a freak and a deviant and when I asked what on earth they were talking about they pointed out the general public view of the term Brony. I've never been part of the "Brony Community", I'm just a guy that grew up with ponies and loves the toys and shows. Not into it as a lifestyle. So, I'm now wondering, if I'm not a brony, what should I consider myself? Just "a fan" seems so simple and doesn't convey my passion yet brony brings all sorts of negative vibes it seems. So, I ask you guys, what am I as a male fan, in my 30s, that's a well adjusted father and husband? I've picked my own brain until it hurts and cannot think of any title or term that best describes my fandom....

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
Re: Am I a Brony or Something Else? Help needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 04:42:13 AM »
"brony" is just a word, really. uwu People tend to have a negative attitude towards it, however, because of some very outspoken parts of the brony fandom that have been rather awful. Unfortunately this has caused the name "brony" to be not so good to some people.

I used to refer to myself as a brony until I realized the association with this name, and I decided instead to drop the title. (Granted, I'm a 16 year old girl, and "brony" tends to refer to an adult man, so there's that too.) I call myself a collector now, since a collector's kind of like a passionate fan (with a pile of toys to boot, hehe! :lol:). What you call yourself is up to you, really! If you feel the word brony fits you, go for it! If it doesn't, maybe something else does! Unfortunately I'm not much help there, but I hope that you find something that fits you!

My advice would be not to worry too much about it!! Just enjoy what you enjoy!! :happy:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:47:22 AM by OctoberFlash »
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:55:33 AM »
Call yourself whatever you like if you feel the need to have a designation. :) Brony, collector, Fred, awesome-pony-person. You don't need a community to justify, understand or even accept who you are and what you do. And you ' don't need to conform to all the other similarly named people in order to use the word to describe yourself. You can be a brony and love all generations, you can be a collector and only collect one particular pony - its your call. But most of all just have fun collecting ponies and watching the shows you are interested in.

I have never and will never understand the need for designated "fandom" orientated names - they just seem a way to separate a group out rather than make it all inclusive. The most pony collectors ever called themselves in the past was "pony collector" or "collector" - really imaginative right? And not even a formal name just more a description of a hobby. We survived 20+ years without having to brand ourselves something. So just enjoy ponies and try not to worry about it.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 05:01:25 AM »
I've always referred to myself as a collector, but I wouldn't worry too much about giving yourself a label.

samuelkingsley

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 05:09:14 AM »
Call yourself whatever you want.  Even though I'm a brony I'm beginning to get tired of the phrase simply due to the negative press we get.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 05:22:38 AM »
you are what you want to call yourself, just remember any fandom tends to have it's own negative. Shoot I reject calling myself 'brony' (even though I'm a girl there are female bronies) or 'pegasister' because I dislike those terms in general. I call myself a pony fan because it's more of a general term that really can cover more than one type of pony (real or make-believe) but I still get those people who try to fight and say I am a brony or pegasister... really I do believe it at some point those were for more of the FiM fans and older fans just adopted the terms (well at least some)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 05:23:31 AM »
I still consider myself a Brony, I think the name is cute, and ignore the "unsavory" fans. There are plenty of nice and kind people who consider themselves Bronies, but, like in every fandom, there are a good amount of crazies as well.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 05:53:22 AM »
I still consider myself a Brony, I think the name is cute, and ignore the "unsavory" fans. There are plenty of nice and kind people who consider themselves Bronies, but, like in every fandom, there are a good amount of crazies as well.
Pretty much my view as well.

But ultimately, you are what you want to be.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:56:34 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline doxiechic16

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 05:54:47 AM »
I agree with others who have posted and say don't worry too much about labels.  If "brony" brings about too much negative attention, perhaps try calling yourself a "collector" as others have suggested or maybe a "MLP enthusiast."   :)

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 06:40:39 AM »
You can call yourself what ever you like. I personally prefer not to call myself anything in particular, I just say that I like and collect My Little Ponies.

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 06:46:38 AM »
You can make up your own name for yourself, hehe. :) Ignore the negative people.

I could never be a brony or pegasister because I don't relate well to them. I'm much older and I'm a collector more than a rabid fan, (tongue in cheek people- don't take offense). I talk with the local bronies and find them to be a generally friendly group of teens and early 20-somethings. I think they are kind of adorable. hehe. Plus it's fun to have an insane amount of MLP knowledge when I'm an older lady who has no outward signs of being "pony-ish." The shocked looks are fun. ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 10:09:49 AM »
If you dislike the associations with the word brony, make your own word up! Pony fanatic, pony-obsessed, or simply "I'm passionate about ponies!" Though, er, you may want to give clear context for that last one.  :lol: Or, if you want to "clear" the brony name as it were, try convincing other bronies not to do the things that give the name bad associations. They may listen to someone in their demographic better than they would to any of us. Good luck!

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »

Offline rosietrot

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Made it.
    • View Profile
    • RosieTrot's Pony Spot
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 07:21:57 PM »
You have GOT to see the Brony documentary.  It's on Netflix.  It's great.  See it and feel better about yourself and the sad, sad people who just can't understand.
Trades!<---some trades, sales and want list, as posted on the arena
Store!<---The "Official" Store (or as official as it gets...also all tradable!)
Want List!<---Stuff I'm looking for
ME! <--- and if you want to know who I am, a picture from my blog

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 08:24:34 PM »
Well I decided to drop the Brony  not long ago, my first screename here was HoustonBrony72,  but as I learned more about the fandom and the other generations I felt my new name was a much better fit for me ,as I dived into collecting all generations,which is not very popular with most bronies,and then I read somewhere that a  brony was a young man in  their 20's who liked MLP FIM only.
so I'm in my 40's and I like all the cartoons from G1 to  FIM ,so I felt  I was more of a Collector .
I have never been to any Con's so that is one other thing that I saw I was not making me one, up to this day I have not been to any such event.
I did explore the Houston Bronies online and they were just young people doing things together and it was great seeing their pics on their events ,but I never saw any people my age in their groups .
So nope, not a Brony ,I'm a Collector of MLP :).
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal