collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your opinion on repro accessories?  (Read 1517 times)

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on repro accessories?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 08:49:04 PM »
i don't mind repro as long as its a very well made repro that people are selling to the public.
like hathorcat said, i am pretty picky myself too or was but now i have 99% of the accessories i want for my G1 ponies (i love having all my ponies with their accessories) i have come to the point in my life that i don't have that disposable income i use to so i will turn to repros like bb's bandana cos i can't justify spending  $20-$30 (including shipping) for a bandana.

anyways i have always however sourced my own repro look-alike ribbons because they are so hard to track down for 300 ponies who need them :)
there are many other things too i have replaced for missing parts that look very spot-on to the original for my own person collection just to complete the look  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 08:57:53 PM »
I'm no accessory collector, but the accessories I did have had to be the real deal.

Offline zzzova

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 12:43:02 AM »
I would rather have originals, even if the repros are well made and looks like the real thing. :)
The only repro that I would consider buying would be a rearing stand (I think I saw somwere someone talking about them :p). But than only if the pony could not stand on her own and only until I found a real one. So far I only have one rearing pony and she can stand on her own :)

Offline Tilly

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 12:51:49 AM »
I have repro flutter wings for all my flutters. The real ones are too impossible to get by / too exensive to buy  for all my flutters. I do also have a pair of originals. I use the repros to make the flutters look like flutter, I think they're incomplete without wings, and I'm totally happy with them.

I would never sell them as being real though.
A picture of my Rosedust with her repro wings:

I wouldn't mind a repro rearing stand either, since you'd hardly see it, but it makes the pony display that much easier and prettier.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:57:17 AM by Tilly »
Who needs some Dutchies? PM to buy/trade!
Also G3 mailorder, comic con and Bay Breeze for sale!

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 01:00:05 AM »
If they look like the real thing, I'm ok with repros and if I were to sell, I would advertise that they are repros.  I think that some things just get too expensive to hunt down originals. Like Tilly, I have repro flutter wings for my 3 flutters. I want more flutter ponies in the future, and to get original wings for them would be crazy. Or, I just spent $30 with shipping for an original rearing stand that I'm going to make a mold of and make repros. Spending $30 for stands for each of my rearing ponies would just get too expensive.

If I only need one of an item, say Wig Wam's headdress, I might save the money for an original, but for multiples like rearing stands or wings, I'm definitely ok with repros.

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 10:08:17 AM »
I bought repro wings for my winger Cool Breeze a few years ago, because she was in baity condition and I just couldn't watch my childhood pony suffer anymore. I think repros are great as not everything is available in large numbers, it's a nice way to be able to display ponies too.
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 10:11:58 AM »
I bought a couple of repro brother hats- they are super fun because they are colors that the big brothers never had. :D   Also got some repro flutter wings -  SO GRATEFUL FOR THOSE! They look awesome, but are clearly repros based on the tabs.  Thanks to the person who used to make those, all my poor wingless flutters aren't naked anymore. 

Since hats and wands and things seem to cost about the same price as originals, I don't think they are really devaluing originals, just making it easier to have fun accessories for your ponies :D  Repro flutter wings probably did devalue original complete flutter ponies somewhat-  but I think the greater good was served since they were of such poor design to begin with, it is cool that some people in the pony community figured out a way to give us our flutter wings back.  I don't know about anyone else, but my poor flutter ponies lost the tabs on their wings within minutes sometimes of being out of the box for the first time  -_-  (it was devastating but hardly unexpected given their fragility)

Of course it would be wrong to try and pass repros off as originals-  I've actually never heard of that happening though, so I think that it would be rarely if ever that that happened (especially since most repros are slightly different than the originals)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:15:31 AM by Galactica »

AnnetheCatDetective

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »
As long as sellers are honest when re-homing a pony with repro accessories, I'm all for it! After all, accessories are the easiest things to lose when you move house... I remember being all but inconsolable as a child because we'd moved house and I'd lost a ribbon (not a pony ribbon, in this case-- it was from a Pound Purry), and the scramble my parents went through to recreate the missing bow...

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 01:27:26 AM »
I love them! ^_^ I'd love some repro accessories, especially with the cool clear variations and such!

I also love finding almost-perfect MLP ribbon replacements! Such a wider variety of color, and I don't have to worry about fraying them either!

I'm like that too :) But I just like handcrafted items. Since I was 10 I had been making pony jewelry :D I love original accessories just as much.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal