collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: (non-pony) Item reeks of cigarette smoke, what to do?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
(non-pony) Item reeks of cigarette smoke, what to do?
« on: February 05, 2014, 03:20:12 AM »
I bought some stitch markers (for knitting) from a seller on Ebay I'd used in the past. My last purchase was great; items as described, well-made, quickly dispatched, etc. These....not so much. I opened the package and they reek of cigarette smoke. The organza bags they're in are saturated with the smell, as is the inside of the packet. I've handled them once and it's transferred to my fingers, that's how strong it is. The product description doesn't state they came from a smoke-free place, but I'd expect to be warned that the seller was a smoker. Should I have asked or am I justified in being upset? Returning them would cost most than the stitch markers are worth and I can likely get the smell out, but I'm just annoyed the seller didn't say they smoke.

I went back to this seller due to my past positive experience and I'm sad that I've been disappointed by them  :cry: They only have one negative and one neutral feedback, neither of which relate to smoke or any other smells =/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:28:10 AM by CupidStrikes »
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: (non-pony) Item reeks of cigarette smoke, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:03:47 AM »
I am sorry for your disappointment, especially since you had a previously good experience with this seller.

I do not think it would hurt to shoot them a message and tell them of the smell. They maybe willing to help offer you a reasonable solution, such as paying for the postage back or maybe perhaps sending you a replacement minus the smell.

I am just curious are these used items or brand new?
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 04:12:26 AM »
Yes you are justified in being upset they should state if they are from a smoking home/place. If it was me I would send them straight back & ask for a full refund including postage. Just because for me I get really really ill with the smell of smoke I was ill for 2 weeks last time we received something that smelt really bad of smoke. (I now ask if they haven't stated)

If the items are new then that is worse :(

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Just remember to be very polite in your message to them  :biggrin:
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline CupidStrikes

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:27:23 AM »
I am sorry for your disappointment, especially since you had a previously good experience with this seller.

I do not think it would hurt to shoot them a message and tell them of the smell. They maybe willing to help offer you a reasonable solution, such as paying for the postage back or maybe perhaps sending you a replacement minus the smell.

I am just curious are these used items or brand new?

They were listed as new :( I've put them by a window to air to see if the smell will dissipate a bit, and I'm drafting a message to the seller.

"These items arrived today, and whilst I'm again happy with how pretty and well-made they are, they smell very strongly of cigarette smoke. Neither listing said anywhere that they were coming from a smoking residence and I would have appreciated knowing this in advance.

Thanks"

Does this sound okay? I feel like mentioning that many people are made ill by cigarette smoke so they really ought to be more honest in their listings but I don't know if that would come across as rude or not.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 04:32:42 AM »
I think your message sounds perfect  :) Now the real test will be on how they want to handle it.

I know it's easy for things to slip by us, such as smells from previous owners and what not, thus my asking if they were new. Hopefully she will be able to shed some light on the situation and make things right with you.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 04:42:04 AM »
That sounds good :) you can mention people getting ill from it but for now I would leave it out of your first message just see how she responds first

Hopefully she is friendly & will reply quickly with how she plans to sort it out  ^.^
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline CupidStrikes

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 01:23:08 AM »
Update! I got a reply:

"If you are not happy with the item you have ordered you can request to return them."

Uhm, wow. No I'm not paying to return them because this guy couldn't be up front about his smoking. I guess I'll just leave negative feedback saying the items reeked and that I didn't even get an apology. :huh:

THANKFULLY, 24 hours on my windowsill has significantly reduced the stench, but the packaging will have to be thrown away instead of re-used as the smell is just too strong.

The seller is "littlecottagecrafts". Avoid.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:14:52 AM by CupidStrikes »

Offline LittleKirara

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Professional Weasel Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 02:27:01 AM »
WOW what a rude reply!  >_<  I mean all you were trying to do was help him, because we all know how some buyers can be. At the very least he could have done is apologize wasn't like you were demanding the sun and moon.

I will defiantly be avoiding him. 
   :heart:.:AQHA For Life:.:heart:

Offline CupidStrikes

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 04:47:06 AM »
WOW what a rude reply!  >_<  I mean all you were trying to do was help him, because we all know how some buyers can be. At the very least he could have done is apologize wasn't like you were demanding the sun and moon.

I will defiantly be avoiding him.

Yeah...I just wanted to have been informed that they were coming from the house of a smoker  :huh: Oh well.

Post Merge: February 06, 2014, 05:21:20 AM

I responded to his message to clarify:

"As I said, I am happy with the stitch markers overall but would have appreciated the item description being clear that these were coming from a smoking residence.

Thank you."

I'll see if he responds back and then leave feedback accordingly - "Items arrived smelling strongly of cigarette smoke. No apology from seller." something to that effect (the fact he didn't even apologise annoys me more than anything else). His return policy says return postage will be reimbursed on a case-to-case basis but considering his initial response, I doubt I'll get any joy out of him.

Post Merge: February 06, 2014, 07:20:15 AM

Update:
"I do not say either way whether or not I smoke. However I can appreciate your concern. I can say if you check my feedback that I have never had an issue with smoking on any order. I do admit I smoke only in my kitchen and have never smoked around my stock. However I did pack orders whilst unwell the last week or so in my kitchen. I can only apologise and offer you to return the stock. I will refund for the stock and re dispatch fresh stock without charge to replace the order. The stock resent would be free from smoke. I pride myself and my business on being both professional and serving my customers. If you would like to have your order remade and dispatched I would be happy to do so."

Now he chooses to apologise? Huh. I'm not quite sure how to respond. The smell has almost completely gone from the markers now (thankfully) so I'm thinking of saying I'll keep them as the smell has gone, but that it was just an unpleasant surprise when I opened them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:20:15 AM by CupidStrikes »

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »
Yeah I'd say that you are happy to keep the items as you have since removed the smell, however you were really just informing them that it was an issue, and that you appreciate their apology.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »
Sorry, I just have to lol at the whole, "I can't say whether or not I smoke. I do smoke but not around my items. I was smoking around my items." Sounds like someone is in a little denial.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline CupidStrikes

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
Sorry, I just have to lol at the whole, "I can't say whether or not I smoke. I do smoke but not around my items. I was smoking around my items." Sounds like someone is in a little denial.

I know, right? I used to be a smoker, and whether I smoked inside or not didn't change that my hands would stink of it afterwards if I didn't thoroughly wash them, so the smell would transfer to anything I handled. I'm assuming he means he doesn't want to state on the item page that he smokes as it'll put people off  :rolleyes:

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »
wow his first reply was bad - and that would have gotten him bad feedback too.. but it looks like he's had a rethink and is seeing sense when he replied to you the second time.  He really does need to be aware that smoking is an issue and he needs to state that the items are not from a smoke free home.  still.. at least he offered to make things right.  so...  if you're happy to keep the items now and they dont stink anymore, then I'd reply with something like this   :)  vv

Yeah I'd say that you are happy to keep the items as you have since removed the smell, however you were really just informing them that it was an issue, and that you appreciate their apology.

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »
*edit* this is a PG 13 board, not sure why we had to make an analogy such as that :heart: PL *

My point: He needs to say in his auctions he's a smoker or risk bad feedback.

Sorry, I didn't think bringing up something that's legal in only certain states makes it rated X or R. I guess bringing up politics would be a no no too...joke. I will make better judgements next time.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:30:12 PM by bluerose9978 »

Offline CupidStrikes

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 01:28:25 AM »
I've responded with:
"Thank you for the apology and offer, I appreciate it. I have managed to remove the smell from the stitch markers so I am happy to keep them, I just wanted to let you know that they had arrived like this.

Thank you."

And I'll leave positive feedback saying something like "Smelt of cigarette smoke. Smell went away quickly and seller offered refund and replacement." and ding a few starts for item description.

Thanks again for all your help  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal