collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How are There Still MIB/MIP G1s?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: How are There Still MIB/MIP G1s?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 02:45:13 PM »
A combination of parents buying them and forgetting them and old store stock!

People keeping ponies MIB / MOC on purpose was not really a "thing"in the 80s.  I mean, I'm sure there were some individuals who did that with MLPs (I think there's board member who kept her Summer Wings MIB?), but that was really, really, really rare.  They were regarded as toys, be opened up and played with.

Well, one size doesn't fit all because I was a child of the 80s and when my parents bought stuff for me I was forced to keep most things "in the box" because it might be valuable some day. This is sad but some times I would sneak the toys out of the box, play with them and ended up being a pro at "putting things back". I thank my parents for this today but as a child I only got to play with half my toys.

I had a friend like that too-  her mom made her put her strawberry shortcake dolls all carefully back in the box- never take off the clothes or mess them up....   she ended up just not wanting to play with dolls.

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 04:32:51 PM »
I have no idea where they came from maybe old store stock, maybe forgotten presents but I am very grateful that there are still MIBs!  They make up a large part of my current collection.   :biggrin:

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 08:36:03 PM »
I actually have a MIB G1 pony completely by accident thanks to my fiancé. Apparently someone got his mom a MLP toy as a baby shower gift because at the time no one knew if she was having a boy or a girl. Once he was born, the still-packaged-pony was just put in to a box along with the other girlish stuff and put in to the attic in case his parents had another kid that ended up being a girl. That didn't happen, so jump forward twenty six years. After my fiancé and I had and been dating for years, he apparently made an off handed comment to his mom that I like MLP, which made her think of the toy, and she just went ahead and dug it out and gave it to me :D So I can say that, in my experience, the pony is MIB simply because it had indeed been forgotten about.

What pony did you get?

sailorstitch

Tirac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 09:37:43 PM »
The "buy a potential gift and stash it away for later" is a common thing.
When money is tight, or when it is more plentiful at certain seasons (such as the harvest season for farmers) it's common for people to take advantage of the temporarily increased funds or sales etc. My grandma always used to buy toys whenever they went on sale and stashed them in her closets and drawers for her children and grandchildren. When she passed away and my aunts, uncles, and mom went through her things to sell them, they discovered a huge stash of old vintage toys from the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc. So It's more than possible that this would happen with ponies. (I actually got to keep one of those puppy puppy puppy toys that was found during the cleanout)
My mom, out of habit does the same thing. She buys things when she can and stashes them. It's easy to forget about stashed things. Sometimes I also buy things to use or give away and for whatever reason loose them for like a month or two.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 10:37:07 PM »
I actually have a MIB G1 pony completely by accident thanks to my fiancé. Apparently someone got his mom a MLP toy as a baby shower gift because at the time no one knew if she was having a boy or a girl. Once he was born, the still-packaged-pony was just put in to a box along with the other girlish stuff and put in to the attic in case his parents had another kid that ended up being a girl. That didn't happen, so jump forward twenty six years. After my fiancé and I had and been dating for years, he apparently made an off handed comment to his mom that I like MLP, which made her think of the toy, and she just went ahead and dug it out and gave it to me :D So I can say that, in my experience, the pony is MIB simply because it had indeed been forgotten about.

Awesome story!   :)

I do think it's a combination of mainly old stock and forgotten gifts with the occasional 80s collector.  I can, too, personally speak of the forgotten gifts.  A couple of years ago, my parents renovated the house and we had to move *everything* out.  Well, while we were cleaning, we found a couple of vintage Worlds of Wonder (think Teddy Ruxpin) mini action figures still in package.  They'd been saved as gifts, then lost.  The packaging was pretty crushed but still an awesome find.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 12:01:22 AM »
Every year for Christmas my  mom would hide my presents around in the basement.  Sadly, she's never been known for her memory.  Every year at least one present would disappear into the basement, never to be seen again.  I know this because occasionally I'd stumble onto one of them when she sent me down there to do laundry or pick up something.  Some items I found made it under the tree, others just didn't.  There's a treasure trove of MIP 80s toys down there.  That's one way for MIP toys to survive.

MIP G1s are from a combination of old store stock, forgotten/lost presents, and the odd MIP collector.  I was at a flea market once, and a woman was selling off her Star Wars collection.  All original, all MIP, and all bought, by her, as they came out.  There weren't many MIP collectors in the 80s, but they did exist.  There were more MIP collectors when the G2s came out, which is why it's a bit easier to find them MIP.  There were A LOT of MIP collectors when the G3s came out, so it's crazy easy to find those in the box.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal