collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your Pony Spending  (Read 890 times)

tinyblondie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Your Pony Spending
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 04:45:14 AM »
Only a few people know with me. My Mum and I share a paypal account so sometimes I have to tell her what Ive bought so that she knows where the money has gone, usually though she doesn't want to know. She supports my collection but I know she thinks I spend too much rather than saving the money for something else. I often get sighs, rolled eyes and 'that's far too much' when I tell her Ive bought something but its funyn cause then she gets really exited with me when I find one in a Charity shop or somewhere.

My best friend knows exactly how much I spend. She adores my collection almost as much as I do and is even considering starting a capsule collection of ponies herself. She comes pony shopping with me and gets all exited with me when I tell her about things I found for a great price or won on ebay.  When she comes over she always wants to see my new ponies and we sometimes play a game where she gives them the name she thinks would suit them and I tell her the actual name to see how close she was. Sometimes (like with Confetti) she gets it exactly right!

Aside from that nobody really knows about my spending, my family and friends all know I collect them but most of them are surprised to see the size of my collection and are shocked about how dedicated I am too it. Sometimes my college tutor will ask about how my collection is doing and if I mention something particularly special she will ask how much I got it for and whether that was a bargain or not. I think generally people dont mind or dont care how much I spend because they know how much they mean to me.

I'm happy for things to stay this way but even if they changed and people were judgmental  I'd probrebly just shrug it off. After all, its my money and if I wanna buy ponies, I'm gonna buy ponies.

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 05:16:13 AM »
I've had people who see my collection assume that I spend masses of money because it's a fairly large collection, but they don't take into account that I've been collecting for 18 years. I didn't buy all this at once! 

I've also given panels at anime cons where I talk to new collectors (not just pony collectors) about the importance of budgeting and not getting in over your head and tips about how to talk to non collectors in your life about your hobby (especially when they give you a hard time about money). As long as the necessities are paid and you're not going into debt, it's no ones business but your own what you spend on your hobby.

Elf

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 05:42:34 AM »
Only my husband knows how much I spend. Its no one elses business but ours.
I tell my mom when I find a G1 at a thrift store because she gets almost as excited as me, and she picks ponies up from thrift stores for me.
My husband is the only one who knows the size of my collection. No one else would understand. Our parents can be very judgemental when we spend money on anything but bills. So we really dont tell them about anything we buy thats not a necessity.
I`m very open about telling people that I collect and talking about ponies to anyone that will listen. I just dont tell them the numbers.

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 05:49:39 AM »
I don't like when people ask what I've spent on them. It's a lot and I usually lie.  :blush:
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 06:32:25 AM »
I simply don't talk about what i spend on ponies. ^_^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 07:02:12 AM »
Not particularly? I also collect BJDs, which are a much larger investment, to put it mildly. Ponies really pale in comparison, so no, I'm not embarrassed about my pony spending all that much ;)

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 08:58:32 AM »
Sometimes. OH is buying me a pony a month this year so he has a pretty good idea of what they cost, or can cost. But I tend to watch out for bargains rather than dropping what I see to be quite a bit of money - so although I want Tux, Raindrop and Nightlight, I'll be holding out to get them cheaply if I can. :)

claricesponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Only with my husband, even though he tells me repeatedly that he's okay with my collecting! I still get sheepish when I splurge or go on a spree and get a pony in the mail every couple days. XD I've cut back a lot lately.

I don't share this information with anyone including my husband ;) My 12 year old saw some of my purchases on ebay and then says "I cannot believe you spent that much on those Ponies!" I gave her the "be quiet" evil Look.

Offline Jennifer2004

• Hooked on Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Looking for Bowtie variants, nirvanas, & merch!
    • View Profile
    • Jennifer Bischoff
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 09:20:54 AM »
My parents know about my collection but they have no idea how much I spend on ponies. They are reluctant enough with their pony collecting support as it is.

My sister does know how much I spend, but she loves ponies and she likes to think of the collection as ours, rather than mine. Even though I pay for the ponies, she does help me to clean them, restore them, set them up on display, take pictures of them, catalog them, and whatever else. And we go to thrift stores, flea markets, and garage sales together all the time.

When my mom's friends or coworkers come over, they sometimes ask to see the ponies. One of them even brought their daughter who loves ponies just so she could see my collection.

I don't care who knows about my collection, but I just don't think how much I spend on ponies is anyone else's business. I don't ask them what they spend on their hobbies/collections.

~Jennifer

eCrater Store - Commissions Info - Facebook Page

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 09:23:40 AM »
I guess I'm not uncomfortable with people knowing per se, but I don't really think it's their business anyhow. Just like it wouldn't occur to me to share how much I spent on a handbag/night out/gadget etc, I don't really know why anyone other that my SO would need that info.

Offline shindow

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Derpy's Scrapbook: Collecting Ditsy Doo
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »
I have so many different collections and I'm constantly getting stuff in the mail that I feel I piss off the post office and my apartment's office -- but to be honest they are just jerks anyway... I hope my new apartment in a month has much nicer people. :)

My wife hasn't had as much money as me, so she's excited to see me get new things. We sometimes worry about money, but I can usually sell something old of mine to make up anything excess. I usually buy her things every month or so because I hate seeing her left out just because I make more. Luckily, she just went for an interview today and I think she got the job.. $3 more than she's making now, per hour. We can dream!
Collecting :muffin: Pony / Ditsy Doo?
Check out her latest releases, news, and reviews at:
www.derpyscrapbook.blogspot.com
- The :muffin: Pony collector expert. And I love My Little Pony Tales. And Muffins.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 01:55:25 PM »
I don't really tell people but, in all honesty, I don't spend a lot.  Most of my ponies are from the thrift store.

However, only my mom and my pony collecting friends know how much I spent on Ice Crystal.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Divinisity

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 06:37:28 PM »
Yeah, I totally understand about it not being anyone else's business. It's good to have your family/SO in the know sometimes.

I don't like when people ask what I've spent on them. It's a lot and I usually lie.  :blush:
I still live at home, and my mom asks me every time what I spend when I get stuff in the mail or at the thrift! I know it's not in a criticizing way, since she likes my collection. It's the worst when she wants to tell everyone the fantastic deal I got... which could seem so high to non-collectors.

I enlisted my sister's help and I think we set her straight on whats supposed to be private now :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 07:27:58 AM »
I don't set out to tell people but if someone asks, yes, I would have no issue saying how much something cost me. However, thats only with ponies - even collectors will look at you squiggly eyed if you admit how much you spend on some accessories :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 07:55:31 AM »
Aside from my husband, no one else knows what I spend on ponies. I feel like it's tacky to ask someone about their personal finances, so although I don't feel embarrassed/ashamed of the amount that I've spent, I probably wouldn't share it with anyone else because I don't feel that it's their business, especially since I would never ask someone else what they spend on their hobbies/interests.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal