collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: CONFIRMED SCAM! Member Scamming Through Ebay!  (Read 11179 times)

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
CONFIRMED SCAM! Member Scamming Through Ebay!
« on: January 24, 2014, 06:14:39 PM »
Hi all,

I normally would not post anything like this, but I have been receiving messages through eBay's messaging system from a member asking me to severely discount items for a 7 year old with cancer.  Normally, I would feel bad and offer to either send money or comply with the discount request, but the messages seemed odd.  Here was the first message I received:

Hello, would you be willing to drop the price? I'm collecting G1 ponies for a 7 year old cancer patient and these twins are 2 of 17 she wants...I am going to donate them to her but I am on a tight budget. I can only do around $10 plus shipping. If not it's ok, I'll try to find them somewhere else. Thanks-Mary-

- mary-bonne

This was on a $38 listing - before shipping.  I replied:

Hi Mary!

That is so sweet! I cannot do that on these though, because I have sold them already, but I might have something else I can help with. Do you have a list? Thanks!

Here was her reply and list:

Yes this is her list:

1. Twin baby ponies
2. Twin teeny ponies
3. Boy pony chief
4. Baby pony tappy
5. Baby pony rainribbon
6. Baby pony bright bow
7. Flying baby pony whirly
8. Baby pony apple jack
9. Baby pony nightcap
10. Any art pony
11. Any Dj pon3 pony
12. Baby pony blossom
13. Any plush pony
14. Baby pony snippy
15. Baby pony northstar
16. Mommy, daddy and baby family
17. Baby pony cuddles

I only have about $60 to spend to get all of these for her, it's a challenge lol I can't find some of these anywhere but I'm not giving up on her. She also had a list of Breyer horses but I know I can't afford those lol. If you do have any of these please let me know, it would be great if I could buy them all at once so they get here the same day...thanks! God bless.

-Mary-

Not that some of the items on the list would have been a stretch to get her, but my first red flag for suspicion was the value of some of these ponies.  Not that there have not been hardcore collectors that are young, but in this generation, I found it a little surprising. 

Anyhow, I did not reply, because I did not know how to. 

Has anyone else heard a similar story from this member?  If there is validity to it, please let me know.  If not, then everyone be aware.

Thanks!

CONFIRMED TO BE A SCAMMER - LOA
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:12:48 PM by Loa »

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Member Scamming Through Ebay...?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:39:33 PM »
Although I would never wish for anyone to be suffering from cancer, I certainly hope this lady isn't making up a story, that would just be plain wrong, especially something so sad that really tugs on the heartstrings. I hope someone else can come forward and provide more clarification.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:14:05 PM »
Unfortunately, in all my years bartering on the internet I just don't believe in sad stories anymore. I've seen so many people fake illnesses and deaths to take advantage of others or try to get discounts.

If it were me, I wouldn't buy it for a second. Ebay and other selling sites are full of scammers with sob stories to try and save money. I would just offer condolences and refuse to discount.

Duster reference]

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:33:45 PM »
Yeah no.  Smells like an absolute scam.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:39:20 PM »
Yeah, I hate to say it, but she's probably trying to scam you.  But on the chance that it's true, maybe pick something that's already cheap to sell her at a discount.  That way you can do a good deed if she's telling the truth, and protect yourself from being badly scammed if she's not, and it won't be too much skin off your back either way.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline cirrusrose

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
I completely agree with Corona. Offer condolences and refuse to discount.

I've been selling on eBay for over 13+ years and have seen a huge amount of those messages over that time. When you get three different eBay members all on the same week with sob stories, it just gets ridiculous. My father actually has prostate cancer, but I don't go around asking for discounts for any items I buy for him.

Unfortunately there are dishonest people out there looking to manipulate sellers and save a buck.

What doesn't add up with this one is - why is a 7 year old (born in 2006-2007, during G3) interested in G1 ponies from the 1980s? Growing up, they would have had G3's/Core 7 to play with and little to no exposure to G1 or G2. Seven year olds don't know who Baby Rainribbon or Chief are. If they hear Gusty's voice from the 80s cartoon, they think Bart Simpson...

Just my two cents. Good luck! :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:21:01 PM by cirrusrose »

Want List / Arena Sales / Etsy Store / eBay

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 09:28:05 PM »
Seconding the general consensus, this is awfully weird. :x Out of curiosity, about how much would that list be worth in total?

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 09:33:53 PM »
I'm with everyone else - that's an awfully pricy list for a young kid..
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

Fisha Seabreeze

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 09:40:56 PM »
Reeks of a possible scam
Unfortunately, in all my years bartering on the internet I just don't believe in sad stories anymore. I've seen so many people fake illnesses and deaths to take advantage of others or try to get discounts.

If it were me, I wouldn't buy it for a second. Ebay and other selling sites are full of scammers with sob stories to try and save money. I would just offer condolences and refuse to discount.

I agree completely with you Coro, took the words right out of my mouth. :nod: There is no way to prove if she is lying or not, don't take any chances. You wouldn't give the PIN to your debit/credit card to a stranger on the street would you? :unsure:

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 12:02:42 AM »
I agree that it seems a bit fishy... sad that someone may be potentially using a story about a child with cancer to get a deal on some toys... :huh:
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 12:29:06 AM »
Yep, very fishy to me as well. I would just reply that, unfortunately, you don't have any of the other ponies on her list and move on. She can try her little scam on someone else. That is pretty low to use cancer and children like that. >.<

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 03:11:19 AM »
Yes, kids don't know who those ponies are! You could always ask for the name of the hospital where the child is being treated and say you will donate some ponies there? I've donated fakies and G3s before and children that young don't care/don't know the difference, they are happy with them just being ponies! If she's telling the truth she will bombard you with info, if not she will turn elusive, guaranteed.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 04:59:16 AM »
Stories like that always send up red flags for me too :(  I dont usually buy it TBH -  especially when there is a big discount involved and a sad story to go with it. I sincerely hope there is not really a 7 year old with cancer - it does seem highly unlikely that someone so young would have a want list like that

Still...  its good to post here and see if others have had a similar experience - that way we can more easily work out if its really a scam  ;)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Freeindeed

• Trade Count: (+208)
    • View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 05:38:05 AM »
Well, I have to chime in and say that this person has been sending me messages through eBay as well. She tried to get me to give her "a deal" on a bunch of ponies that she wanted to buy. Honestly, I was a little confused by her message, so when I responded and questioned what she wanted, she backpedaled a little bit and said she just wanted to know how much shipping costs would be for the ponies she listed. She made no mention of a little girl with cancer.

This was her list of ponies she was interested in:

Jebber
Jangles
Starbow
Dangles
Cuddles
Snookums
Cotton Candy
Sweet Stuff

This list doesn't completely match the list of ponies she sent you, Stormy... I suppose it's possible that she is a collector, and wants ponies for herself in addition to ponies for the little girl, but that seems like kind of a stretch to me!

Now I'm tempted to block her from bidding. But she did buy something from me previously and everything was fine, so... I just don't know.

*shakes head*

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 07:00:30 AM »
This definitely smells of scam, especially since she's contacted more than one person with different lists. It reminds me of the woman from this area who faked cancer to get money out of people. She actually held fund-raisers. It made national news: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/22/kimberlie-gustwiller-ohio-faked-cancer_n_3631627.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal