collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Uhg! Playset whitening help needed!  (Read 1582 times)

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Uhg! Playset whitening help needed!
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »
I replaced my original, quite orange, Dream Castle with one I bought from a friend of a friend.  She had it in a cardboard box in the basement, out of the sun, ever since she was a kid.  It was incredibly pink when I bought it 2 or 3 years ago.  Well, I FINALLY got a display case, and made some room to show off my G1s, and low and behold, it's gone orange!  It was stored in cardboard, with room to 'breath', out of the sun, in a climate controlled room.  *uhg*  So frustrating!

Well, I found the section in the MLP preservation project about restoring playsets, and I'm going to try it.  I need some advice on Cream Bleach before I start.  For example, where do I buy it, and are there ingredients to look for or to make sure are not included?  Is it in the hair dye section, or with the waxing and hair removal stuff?  Has anyone tried this procedure?  Any advice?

Thanks!

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Uhg! Playset whitening help needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »

Hello!  The product I used was Salon Care 40 Volume Creme.  It's a white bottle with a red top (I got a pretty small bottle--4 ounces--and it is very inexpensive).  You can get it at a beauty supply store (I went to Sally), and it is in the section w/ hair bleaching products.

I used it to work on a discolored Pretty Parlor.  It worked pretty well.  I'd definitely give it a go on your Castle.  Applying it on the Castle will take some work b/c it's rather large.  Just apply it with a soft paintbrush.  Please take before and after pics to share here!
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Bibsy

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:30:29 PM »
That's what I use too.  I'd check out these other threads as well, but you'll have to be patient.  I completely changed the color of my Rock-A-Bye Bed, but it takes a while and if you can't put it in an airtight container, you'll have to reapply regularly, but the results are worth it!  Good luck. :)
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,347656.msg1069411.html#msg1069411

http://www.mlparena.com/archive/Forums/viewtopic/t=210048/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:45:38 AM »
I have tried both cream and the diluted hydrogen peroxide in the past - to be honest both work well but the cream works faster and I feel there are pros and cons to each. The cream is faster and easier to apply to large playsets. However due to what the cream is actually doing to the plastic I do worry a little about longer term issues and whether the playset will become brittle or simply speed up any plastic break down. The spray can be time consuming and often needs multiple applications [I use a spray bottle to apply it and I have to be in a large space where I know no food or animals or anything else bleachable can be]. So it needs much more time and effort and energy but it is a much milder option and over time will work as well.

The diluted hydrogen peroxide you will be able to get at a pharmacy but the cream will probably need to be a salon supply company :)

Good luck!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 06:23:34 AM »
I don't think the spray will work for me, just because there are stickers all over it.  They are pretty stuck on, and in nice shape, so I don't want to rip them trying to take them off.

I'll start looking for that cream.  Thanks guys!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 06:25:30 AM »
You can use lighter fluid to remove the stickers without damaging them :) And then simply reattach again. That way you can even coat where the stickers have been :)
Loa is my love god!

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »
How do you use lighter fluid to remove them, Hathorcat?  I haven't heard of this.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 02:20:30 PM »
You need to get the lighter fluid in behind the sticker. I find using a needle to make a teeny tiny hole vertically in the top of the sticker [basically between the sticker and the playset] then drip in some lighter fluid. You can also add a few drops around the edges. Gently massage the sticker in order to make sure the lighter fluid gets everywhere behind the sticker. Then sit back and wait until the fluid evaporates. With the edge of a credit card or something you should then be able to peel the sticker away as the fluid destroys the glue. 
Loa is my love god!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal