collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Paypal won't let me remove old debit card  (Read 9412 times)

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Paypal won't let me remove old debit card
« on: January 23, 2014, 04:35:34 PM »
My mom's Paypal account (I share an account with her since I don't have a credit card or bank account) keeps bugging me about her debit card about to expire. Specifically, it says:

"Please update your card's expiry date as soon as possible to avoid any interruptions in using PayPal."

The thing is, that card isn't active anymore. It had been used at Target last December, and her bank decided to issue new cards to everyone who used their card at Target during that time just to be safe. So I added the new card and then tried to remove the old one. When I do, it gives me this message:

"You may not remove your funding source while an authorization is still pending."

The problem is, I don't have anything pending. I looked through my last three months and everything says completed. Is there any way I can fix this without having my mom call them. She hates calling customer service for anything (she tries to avoid all conflict, which includes arguing with customer service, unfortunately) and since she doesn't really use the Paypal account anyway. It was mostly set up for my use. I actually do most of the online shopping since she's not so computer literate.

Anyway, is there anything I can do without calling them? Or should I just leave the card there? I mean, it's not active anymore. The only thing I'd be worried about is it always was automatically used as a backup funding source if I didn't have enough on my Paypal balance to cover a purchase (it didn't let me choose, either) and I don't want to have the old card for that anymore.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Paypal won't let me remove old debit card
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:43:37 PM »
If your mom was issued a new card from her bank, it needs to be added since the old one is no longer valid. Then once she adds the new card you should be able to delete the old card.

There always has to be a back up funding source, so that is probably why it is telling her there is a pending transaction. But once it is updated like I mentioned above there should be no issue removing the old card.

I hope that helps  :hug:
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 08:54:31 AM »
I think it refers to the new card having to be authorized rather than a transaction. Does it say something like "confirm card" next to the new one you've added?

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
What you may have to do is make the new card the back up for your bank account instead of the old card. Does that make since? Then you should be able to take the old card off. It's what I had to do with mine.

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »
I have a similar problem.  The credit card attached to my account was compromised, and I got a new one which I added to my account.  When I went to remove the old one, I kept getting the message "You may not remove your funding source while an authorization is still pending" even though nothing was.  I just checked, and that's still the message that comes up even after having the new card on there and confirmed for months.  At the time, I searched PayPal's help forums and found numerous other people with the same problem - it's apparently a glitch in the system.  You might be able to get it removed by calling, but as long as you have another funding source designated as your primary source, you should be fine just leaving it there.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline ShortyBoo

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 04:56:49 PM »
What you may have to do is make the new card the back up for your bank account instead of the old card. Does that make since? Then you should be able to take the old card off. It's what I had to do with mine.

How do you do this? I went to the "add card" thing and it successfully added her new card. But it still won't let me remove the old one. How do I tell the account I want the new card as the back up instead of the old one? The new one is listed first, but I think that just may be because the last four numbers on the card are lower than the first card's. I just want to make sure it will charge the new card and not the old one if I use it for a purchase I can't cover fully with my balance.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »
It should say Primary under whatever card is going to be charged.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline ShortyBoo

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:13:56 AM »

But is there a way to check before making a purchase? Right now, I have a pretty decent amount in my Paypal balance, so it's not going to need to use the card for awhile.

Offline babylofty

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »
I would suggest calling Paypal at this point and explain the issue. You don't have to tell them it's your mom's account. Just that you need the old card removed, and the new card needs to be made the primary one.
darcerin on the TP, arinaketchum on ebay, Salvia on PI

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 06:19:20 AM »

But is there a way to check before making a purchase? Right now, I have a pretty decent amount in my Paypal balance, so it's not going to need to use the card for awhile.

Yes it'll always say which card (or balance) it'll take the payment from before you submit payment. I have 2 different cards registered on mine depending on what I'm buying

Always looking for MLP erasers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal