collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Trying to mend my broken heart and find my toy that I lost at the age of 8!  (Read 2782 times)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
Hi everyone!

So here's the story: from the day of my birth until one fateful day when I was about 8 years old, I had this stuffed animal that never, ever left my side. He was called Puppy Rabbit because no one could figure out whether he was supposed to be a puppy or a rabbit. He traveled everywhere with me (except to school, unfortunately). One day, shortly after my birthday, I was very sick (I was a sickly child and spent a lot of time at the doctor's office) and had to see the doctor. For my birthday I had received a Lisa Frank notebook and was busily writing in it while waiting in the waiting room. In my illness and excitement about the notebook, I accidentally left Puppy Rabbit under the seat in the waiting room. Of course, some other child came along and picked him up and took him... and I never saw him again.

This was an extremely traumatic event in my young life. A psycho-analyst might say that I am now an adult toy collector because I am still searching for Puppy Rabbit's replacement. I don't know -- I just made that up.

Anyway, I've been searching for him (or, of course, a toy exactly like him) for a long time, and I've come up short each time. The only lead I have is that a few years after the event I did find a similar toy at a thrift store -- I named it Mousy-Bear because, of course, I can't tell which it's supposed to be. Mousy-Bear has a tag that says he was made by a company called "Eden".

So I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. Here's a description of Puppy-Rabbit:

Completely knit exterior -- made with some type of thin, soft yarn or thread. Stuffed (of course). He is white, but his "clothing" is just knit on -- it's just a different color of thread. He wears a white and yellow striped shirt with blue pants. His ears are pink on the inside and white on the back. His hands and feet are just balled ends of the arms. His face consists of blue eyes and a pink nose embroidered on. He was purchased in Atlanta, GA -- at Northside Hospital -- in the late 1980s.

The only picture I have at the moment is the tiny one in my signature.

That's all I have right now -- I hope someone has some ideas of how I can find a Puppy Rabbit again! :)

Offline FluffleNuff

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • ME MYSELF AND PONY
    • View Profile
It may be quite hard to track down Puppy Rabbit, have you considered asking someone to make a custom one for you?
A PONY A DAY KEEPS THE SMILES ON YOUR FACE

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
I've never seen anything like that. I will keep my eyes open when browsing around ebay or at secondhand shops/yard sales. I hope you can find him again.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
I can barely see the picture. Can you blow it up or does that make it look blurrier?

Offline Dainty

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
tapdancer, looks like it was cut from a childhood photo so thats probably as big as it can be :--(

Good luck finding one!! I agree, maybe if you don't find one you could get someone to make you one?

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Man :(  Best of luck, hun!

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
I love trying to hunt down mystery toys and childhood books. I've done several Google searches using different descriptions, but I haven't come up with anything yet. I'll try again tomorrow. I've been successful in finding things I had forgotten the names of...things that are really random and weren't very popular. No promises, of course, but I'll try my best. :)

By the way, was this an 80s or 90s toy?

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
Hmm... maybe try Ghost of the Doll?  Or try searching for toys made by 'Eden' during that time period?

I really hope you find another Puppy Rabbit!  I'd be devastated if I ever lost my childhood friend. ;_; (My stuffed dolphin who still has a place on my bed)

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
Could he possibly be a hand made toy? Sometimes hospitals sell handmade things. 

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
It may be quite hard to track down Puppy Rabbit, have you considered asking someone to make a custom one for you?
i have tried to make one myself a few times over the years. I haven't gotten it quite right, though. I've just also kept an eye out for one like him when I'm at thrift stores and things like that...

I can barely see the picture. Can you blow it up or does that make it look blurrier?
Sorry, this is all I have right now. :( One of these days I might try to look through the old photos and see if I can find another one that I can scan.

Thanks to everyone for your help and encouragement!

Post Merge: January 21, 2014, 09:59:44 PM

I love trying to hunt down mystery toys and childhood books. I've done several Google searches using different descriptions, but I haven't come up with anything yet. I'll try again tomorrow. I've been successful in finding things I had forgotten the names of...things that are really random and weren't very popular. No promises, of course, but I'll try my best. :)

By the way, was this an 80s or 90s toy?

It's from the late 80s. :) Thank you so much for your help! Even if you can't find anything, it always helps to have a fresh brain help -- you may think of something I haven't thought of.

Hmm... maybe try Ghost of the Doll?  Or try searching for toys made by 'Eden' during that time period?

I really hope you find another Puppy Rabbit!  I'd be devastated if I ever lost my childhood friend. ;_; (My stuffed dolphin who still has a place on my bed)
Hmm, okay, thanks for the suggestion! And good to hear someone understands my pain. :)

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
Perhaps getting one custom made by a very good plush/knit thing maker might be the way to go. He himself looks like a custom one too. I'm sorry you lost your bunny puppy :(

And about you toy collecting? I think it's exactly the same reason I collect so many toys. Because my mother gave them away. And lots were very sentimental. One being a Dogz trendmasters dog I had called Scruffy. Found him on ebay for $40 and never regretted it since.

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
I wonder if Marigold is right, it may well be a hand-knit job. I have an awesome teddy (with a crazy fruity look to him) that my daughter was given by the chaplain in the NICU, he and many others were knitted by a band of lovely ladies.  You could get one knitted for you if you can source a brilliant knitter?????
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Well i cant blow the pick up any more but he LOOKS like an old peter rabbit from the beatrix potter line.
I have a guy that found a lil miss no name for my dad..lemme see what hes got.
If i find him I;ll pm you!

Offline minamarie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
May sound funny but try hangouts in your homecity- maybe the other child has kept him ever since

Post Merge: January 22, 2014, 11:17:27 AM

I guess its the one i mailed you with custom pullover..why not write to eden? Maybe they have a better picture at least
My fav toy is a mystery too but since a few months i know the pattern and face  had to be faked of a puffalump

Post Merge: January 22, 2014, 12:04:19 PM

Theres a pinterest site called plushmemories where you may get help
Although i still dont know nothing bout my plush, i finally found there where others like him
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/69805862944549451/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:04:19 PM by minamarie »

Offline Freeindeed

• Trade Count: (+208)
    • View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
Aww, that's so sad you lost your favorite toy! I still have my old Mickey Mouse doll sitting on my bed... several times I almost left him behind but luckily we always found him again! I don't know what I would have done if I had ever lost him.

I found this little guy on eBay:

*live link removed*

Is this similar to the one you had?

I will keep an eye out when I go out thrifting... I hit Goodwill at least once a week and I'm always digging through the plushie bins. I hope you can find him again!

[live links removed per site rules - kkat]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:53:17 AM by kaoskat »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal