collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: getting that extra 'shiny stuff' off a G4  (Read 370 times)

Aednatia

• Trade Count: (0)
getting that extra 'shiny stuff' off a G4
« on: January 19, 2014, 06:11:53 AM »
I don't know if it is glue or extra sealant they put on the whole pony but several of my G4's have it on varies parts faces and bodies. I've tried acetone and goof off and it won't come off. Is there something else I can try other then sanding or scraping?

CarnationTwirl

Re: getting that extra 'shiny stuff' off a G4
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »
Have you tried a magic eraser?
maybe... scrub with baking soda and a toothbrush?  I think it could be abrasive enough to take stuff off without being quite as potentially damaging as scraping/sanding.
When I prep my baits, I've added the step of scrubbing them with comet scouring powder. When it's said and done they're quite dull and flat.  I think that it would probably damage the symbols and hair on ponies however.

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 05:40:32 AM »
i think its some kind of oil / lubricant from  manufacturing

theirs a couple of things you can try
put em in the oven for a few minutes'
i've found some times the heat helps change the surface texture slightly  allowing paint to stick better.

if you don't want to  heat treat them ,  and your prepping them for customs
coat them with  your sealant , i use mod podge,  BEFORE putting any paint on them.
the sealent clings better to the pony (not sure why it just dose)

and then your paint will cling much better to the sealant than the oily pony.
preventing paint separation,  it also helps with  paint discoloration after a while  if that's an issue your having as well with finished customs after a few months with the paint changing.

Aednatia

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »
I was hoping to keep this pony in my collection and the stuff is on the face :( I'll try the magic eraser first, then baking soda, then a heat treatment.

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »
If it is the same 'shiny stuff' that I have run in to a few times, I absolutely loath it lol.

I know you asked for tips that didn't have to do with sanding or scrapping, but I have found that getting that annoying stuff off of a pony has worked pretty well with these things as a last resort:  http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/micro-finishing-cloth-abrasive-pads-516765/

These things have a SUPER fine grit to them (the 12000 grit one just feels like cloth or rubber to me) and when I use them it takes stuff off gently without damaging the plastic of the pony or leaving other marks behind. Its more like buffing than sanding, really. I've never tried it around painted on bits though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal