collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is anyone else really bored with G4?  (Read 9511 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Is anyone else really bored with G4?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 11:35:10 PM »
I've been bored with the line as of late... kind of debating on getting Twilight in the Cadance mold but really been passing her up... As I stated when they really started into just the main 6 ponies I started calling the ponies custom fodder.. which I still haven't bought any because I have spares from other sets I can use!

I'm actually to the point where I'm -looking- for fakies XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 11:47:01 PM »
I'm pretty disappointed by re-releasing the main characters over and over and rarely ever having new ones anymore. And half the time when they do, it's just in way expensive sets!

I do like the new Rainbow Power Fashion Style Rarity, to my surprise. With the designs all over her, she kind of reminds me of a G1 Twice-as-Fancy Pony. I think I need her in my collection to stand there and look pretty.

Offline Roseprincess1

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 11:53:38 PM »
I dont think id classify it as bored persay... I'm just kinda wishing that they'd have some other characters besides the main six. I mean Twilight is an alicorn now.. so they  use the cadence / luna mold right? So its the perfect excuse to make some new ponies in the regular molds.  Or even re release some of those that are MIND NUMBINGLY hard to get hold of.. :cough cough: Sky wishes and rainbow flash :Cough cough:
Any how.. i dont mind the poses... i guess it costs more now to make them different than when g1 happened. But .. just some other people would be nice. I REALLY DONT need another bloody pinkie pie.
I think we only got a few new ones this year.. and they were all in the box sets, so if you got them you gota lot of repeats.. Dont get me wrong im happy with my toys r us faves set.
Tiara's cute, Lyrica was cute, I love Chrysalis ( how often do you see a pony with straight hair?) and i swapped my wedding shining armor for the one with the blue feet, not to mention Muffin was the one i really wanted. but the only other two new ones we got.. were Wysteria and Minty (both of which i might add were EXTREAMLY HARD to get hold of... have you learned nothing from the 2006 botcon fiasco hasbro!!?).
So i hope that we get to see some new stuff. I DO kinda want Tinsel haired rarity.. but Im a lil tapped on all the repeats.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 12:01:31 AM »
I started back into ponies in January of this year after receiving my grail ponies from my dad. I had no idea that they were "grail" ponies (Seashell and Bubbles) until I joined the arena here in February and began to learn the terminology (nirvana, FIM, TE, etc) I began to warm to the G4's who were so different than my childhood ponies.
I began gathering up as many MIB (another term :) ) as possible, and quickly my collection grew to hold every one of them both MIB and free-style, so I could play with them with my neice and nephew. Then I sat back in July and august and waited for something new.

And waited.

And sold most of my loose G4's.

And waited and got sick of seeing Rarity and the gang tarted up in new RP garb. The blind bags hold no interest for me (though some are cute, like RP DJ) the pony releases are monotonous, and my mind (and money) drifted to Nirvanas and other G1 oddities and childhood wants.
My money now goes from supporting a conglomerate toy company back to the pony collecting community or eBay families who need the money or whatever.  I'd rather my money go to individuals who, maybe not now but at one time, cherished and loved the same thing i held dear to me. Hasbro can suck it.

Post Merge: December 22, 2013, 12:05:26 AM

Oh...what was the 2006 BotCon fiasco, BtW?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:05:26 AM by SeashellnBubbles »

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 12:16:32 AM »
Admittedly, I'm more interested in collecting my favorites from G1 as well.

I sometimes wonder how G4 will end.  I sincerely hope Hasbro has the sense to end Friendship is Magic on a high note and not run it into the ground so people remember it for going on for a season too long.  I also hope customers are not too turned off by the lack of variety and questionable quality to not come back for what comes next.  I hope G4 doesn't end with the brand going back into the wilderness like it did after the end of G1.

Edit:  And I just traded a coat of flocking for gem eyes.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 12:17:17 AM »
Hasbro should release a lot of the Blind Bag characters as Brushables. Then there'd so many fun characters to collect!

Offline Roseprincess1

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 12:21:50 AM »
Oh...what was the 2006 BotCon fiasco, BtW?

Well I collect transformers as well as MLP's hasbro really should give me some stock.
Any how,
Back in 2006 they released this great line of transformers. THey took all the classic characters, and re did them 1980's style ... but used modern tech on them. So we get all these cool toys that LOOK like the original G1's but DON'T fall apart if you look at them the wrong way. ( a common problem with some G1 TF's)
So there was a particular set of characters that EVERYONE wanted. The Decepticon Jets, at that point, only one(starscream) had been released.
So they let them be released in this great set... and only make 2000 copies of the set.  :what:
So.. all these characters every one wanted... and you could only get them here... and they only made a handful.  :stressed:
The original reasoning behind it, that hasbro claims, was that they did them for the con specifically because they "thought" they wouldn't sell. :facepalm:
I think that's an excuse and that they just enjoy watching people squirm.
EVENTUALLY they released the characters mass production.
but it took them till 2012 to do so.. So we had to wait six years to get the mass production versions of the characters everyone really wanted.
Because hasbro thought they wouldn't "sell".
I think they use that as a reason for a lot of stuff they do with mlp as well. They think only the mane six will "Sell" so they dont make any other characters.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:23:27 AM by Roseprincess1 »

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 12:24:55 AM »
Yes and no.

For brushables, totally!  It bothers the heck out of me buying doubles of stuff, unless there is a big difference that I really think is cool.  Part of the reason I like G3 is the sheer volume of different ponies available.  It was fun to go to the store and be like "Wow!  I've never seen her before!".  I was a huge fan of the G4 brushables that weren't the mane 6.  I kind of want the new favorites set, but I'm really not a fan of Chrysalis in any form, and I'd get a lot of doubles.   The only "new" brushables I intend to get at some point are alicorn Twilight, White Celestia, and Luna on the Cadance mold.  Also, I guess Muffin pony.  So, yeah, I'm bored on that score.

That being said, I really like Equestria Girls dolls, and Blind Bags.  I love the sheer variety you can get with Blind Bags, so I buy them very frequently.  I also like the variety available in terms of plushies.  So I'm not bored with these things yet, but otherwise, I'd say I'm kind of bored overall.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 12:27:57 AM »
Welllll... like most others have said here, kind of. I really did enjoy the variety of ponies they were selling at the beginning, but I didn't have a chance to pick up very many before Hasbro switched track to mainly offering the mane 6. I do like the designs of the Rainbow Power line, but I still want new and different ponies :( Core 7 bored me, and now Mane 6, even though I love the show, is boring me. And I don't want that!

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 12:43:24 AM »
I am not bored, no. But I will admit to pretty much being on board the "please give us new characters in the playful size" bus. That needs to happen otherwise, yes, I may reach boredom.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 01:07:44 AM »
Count me in too... Bore 6.   

Guess I should just savor my G4 Sunny Rays and Diamond Rose all the more...

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 01:22:48 AM »
I should have bought Sunny Rays when I had the chance. I didn't know she would end up being one of the last non-main 6 single release Brushables.

I am pretty happy with Equestria Girls dolls and the plushies; they're keeping me pretty busy while I'm not collecting the Brushables. I do need to get the Princess packs, though (but then I'll end up with doubles of Pinkie and Rarity).

Offline CupcakeLoverXx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Pony Lover since 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 01:32:45 AM »
I'm really tired of the G4 brushables,because of they are all rehashes of the mane 6,and are in the same boring standing pose. I'm not one of those people who wants to buy every single release because of different accessories,so now I have the mane 6,princesses,Sunset Shimmer and a few background/toy only ponies,I'm kind of at a loss! I'd really like the 2nd favourites collection too,because that's literally the only way to get new brushables at the moment (plus I love the muffin brushable!) but £40 for 7 ponies,two of which I already own,is ridiculous.
Plus,as CupidStrikes said,I'm sick of Hasbro making all exclusives (well,except Pinkie Pie's Boutique,but it's really expensive here) US/Canada only. They are on Amazon,but £15 for Shadowbolt Rainbow Dash? Really?

I do like the blind bags/minature sets however,but it's hard trying to find them around here. Especially after Hasbro decided a fantastic idea would be to split wave 8 into two parts - it's so difficult trying the part with the ponies you want :( Hopefully this doesn't happen with wave 9.

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 02:08:30 AM »
i haven't bought a G4 since...Uk Ponycon in September. I got Luna FS, a Pinkie FS with a black balloon symbol, and an Applejack brushable which technically I won from a lady doing a kind of 'pick a straw' game where i got a lollipop stick with a blue mark on it and got to pick a prize from a bag and it was AJ. Oh and I bought brushable Blossomforth.

That's it and I'm not currently interested in getting anymore. I have a few on a wishlist but they're an after thought right now as I'm mostly focusing on G1 brush and grows and Princesses. And as I'll be saving for our wedding after Christmas there'll be a lot less mad pony buying and more sedate pace of find the odd pony on here or ebay and getting round to my pile of tlcs and rehairs.

Hasbro need to be careful as children are not stupid. They will get bored of repetitive toys and move on to another toy. I'm making a custom for my goddaughter similar to Rainbow Dash (but unique in it's own right). That is pretty much the only pony related thing she's getting this year and that's because she specifically asked if I'd make her one as she's seen the others I've made and wanted one herself.

Hasbro seems to me to be forgetting both the collectors and target audience market and really underestimating the longevity of the main six.
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 02:26:02 AM »
G4 hasbro absolutely, bore 6 singles I'm so done with. Not to mention how annoying it is when the only time we get new releases it's in the special expensive packs paired with more re-releases. Also really dislike the rainbow line it's silly dramatic, and dumb in my opinion.

G4 funko not bored at all very very excited! I love collecting these, even though glitter hunts can be exhausting it's so worth it and a lot of fun! They are my absolute favorite!

For Sale Wants

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal