collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Avoiding Sun Damage, +Where Does Your Herd Live?  (Read 610 times)

WrittenEmber

• Trade Count: (0)
Avoiding Sun Damage, +Where Does Your Herd Live?
« on: November 19, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »
So, I'm looking around the room where I keep my ponies, and wondering about the do's and don'ts of avoiding sun damage. Direct sunlight never reaches anything in the room, thanks to the window dressings, but the room is very bright during the day. Can indirect light cause fading, too?
:what:

Also, more generally and just because I'm curious, where do you keep your pony collection? I'd love to hear (and maybe see, if you have pix!) how everyone displays and/or stores their herd!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Avoiding Sun Damage, +Where Does Your Herd Live?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 01:58:10 PM »
I would have to take pictures but because model horses dominate my nice cabinets ponies live in my craft closet. I have one of those clear plastic dressers that rolls, and I have them sorted. I might need. New dresser to stack on top someday. I try to keep my collection small since I collect so many things. I'm not sure on the light question since most of my girls hVe not been exposed to tons of light since I got them.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »
I have mine in glass cases and I try to keep the curtains to the room they are in pulled closed most of the time.  Sunlight can be a killer when it comes to toy collections. 

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »
My ponies are on every flat surface available in my room, which is on the west side of the house so they don't get much intense direct sunlight. I pull my curtains if I'm worried about it but most of them are in the corners out of the sunlight. I have a special black curtain hooked up over the shelf that my pink haired Poseys live on, just in case. :P
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 08:10:48 PM »
I have a pony room but it is essentially one of the spare bedrooms. The curtains are drawn all the time and thankfully it is on the shadier side of the house but even then I still have to make sure all pink haired ponies are pushed to the darkest corners.

Unfortunately sunlight does not have to be direct and it can even be as weak as we get it here to cause damage. I had Milkweed & Tumbleweed with the pinkest hair; they were in their bassinet, on a lower shelf, at the back of the shelf and I would have said always in shadow. Unfortunately over a couple of years their manes have faded in comparison to their tails which were sheltered by the bassinet and their bodies :( Alas, unless you lock them in a drawer and never let any light near them or put up some black out blinds [something I truly mean to finally get to his summer] you are never going to completely protect them.

However, on the other side, my collection has been in the room mentioned, with no black out blinds and weak sunlight every single day [although very weak due to where I live :P] for years now and other than the pink fading hair none of the rest of the collection is damaged in anyway :) So it comes down to how paranoid you want to be or whether a teeny change in condition is worth at least having them out on display to enjoy [I vote on the latter!]
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Arokiss

• Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:58:51 PM »
Hi,

I make sure all my ponies are in wardrobes. It doesn't look very nice from the outside, I must admit, but at least they're protected from fading and discoloring. And when I swing the doors open, it does look nice!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

*JM*

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:03:49 PM »
I really need to reevaluate my pony displays, because I have some poor ponies who I got with very pink hair that have faded horribly now even though they are never in direct sun and are kept in the darkest areas I can keep them. I'll be packing all my ponies up soon to move - we'll have to see what I can do at my next home.

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 01:05:54 AM »
I have a display cabinet that has most of my G1s and MIB g3s. Of course lots of others are around my dresser and night stand too... :P

I have black curtains in the room, but the window is alas on the same side of the room as the cabinet and light will still come in around the curtains. My fading pinks are in the middle of the cabinet shelves all the way in the back surrounded by other ponies for protection...best I can do right now. I am hoping to move them to the basement at some point or get a pony room.

Currently my Mimic has a special treatment on top of that. I was able to obtain a light resistent bag from work (it was to protect an IV antibiotic from light and the Antibiotic was done so the bag was going to be pitched in the trash)...Mimic currently resides in this bag as she still has a pink stripe and a green body...
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »
I have glass display cabinets- but "luckily" I live in Seattle so the sun isn't really a frequent visitor, except during July and August.   

We also have low e windows that filter out UV, which is the most damaging.

Offline BabiChuld

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • With pony powers, come pony responsibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 01:46:12 AM »
Can a UV lamp also damage the ponies the same way real Sunlight can? The room my ponies are in is also the room where I spend most of my time. I cross stitch a lot so the lights in my room are chosen to mimic natural daylight, to help with eye strain for stitching. My collection is in a dark little closet with a glass door and its quite shady in there, but should I be worried about the bulbs in my room causing damage?
Thank you Lindsay1988 for this beautiful Sig!  :lovey:

Don't worry, be happy!  :P Come visit my pony page to see my collection grow ^_^ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joannas-collection-of-Vintage-My-Little-Pony-toys/171365783052710

My Ridiculously huge Wishlist XD http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,347431.new.html#new

Offline RainbowRay

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • so very rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 01:57:44 AM »
Most of my small herd lives in my room at home. I have a tall, narrow bookshelf and about one and a half shelves on that are dedicated to ponies. There's enough vertical space that I can have some standing on boxes at the back of the shelf so they can 'see'.
I also have a small set of shelves in the corner of my room with ponies on them. If I have a pony that's more sensitive to fading I'll store her there, it's much more shaded due to my room's sloped ceilings.

As for my flat here at uni... my room here has some very wide shelves, just over half the length of the room itself! It's just as well, because I keep on accumulating more and more ponies and other toys lol. I wish I had this much shelf back home!
I just keep all kinds of small toys on this shelf, grouped together and posed in various ways. Since I'm here, I may as well take a picture.
Spoiler

(Such a mess.)
This room is quite bright, I suppose, but I'm not too concerned about fading for any of these.

Sokkis

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 02:07:31 AM »
Well, here where I live the sun isn't that aggressive and doesn't shine that much, so I'm not being super fuzzy about my ponies. They live in glass doored cabinets, doors facing away from the window though. I haven't noticed anything that I should worry about over the years - maybe it's the only blessing for living here!

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 02:16:54 AM »
My ponies are just on a shelf, but most of them don't get much in the way of direct sunlight, and I strategically place most of my ponies with hair that would fade in the shadows, toward the back of the shelf (they're lined up three deep), or on the near side of the shelf to the window so the inner wall of the shelf blocks the light. Not ideal, I know, but it'll have to do for now.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline bubbles171

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Thank you so much shiverdam my 2 loves combined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 02:43:59 AM »
I put mine in a walk in closet no windows. I have the play sets in the back and 3 cabinets. other side is where I hang my MOC ponies. I then converted the closet in my bathroom for my clothes.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 07:00:39 AM »
Can a UV lamp also damage the ponies the same way real Sunlight can? The room my ponies are in is also the room where I spend most of my time. I cross stitch a lot so the lights in my room are chosen to mimic natural daylight, to help with eye strain for stitching. My collection is in a dark little closet with a glass door and its quite shady in there, but should I be worried about the bulbs in my room causing damage?

Are you sure it is a UV lamp?  I have a broad spectrum "Daylight" lamp- but UV is filtered out for safety -  and I thought that most broadspectrum lamps did not include UV

That said- I have no idea if broad spectrum lighting can damage ponies.  I tend to think not since I've noticed no fading on our drapes since switching to low e windows...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal