collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sunfading TAFs??? Next Question....  (Read 5221 times)

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
Sunfading TAFs??? Next Question....
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:24:01 AM »
So I got in a very nice TAF Yum Yum with beautiful pink hair. Thing is she has discolored a bit from being white and is pretty dingy. Question is....sunfading on a TAF...what is the best way to cover all those little symbols that are all over her body? That is obviously going to take some time and I feel as though I cannot overdo the foil on the symbols as that would block all those little areas between symbols...so any suggestions?
OK next question. I apparently stink at covering fading pink hair in tin foil...another way to do this better? Especially at the scalp? I really hate the idea of painting it and the tape always seems to be falling off...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:22:11 AM by elish2 »
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Sunfading TAFs???
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »
Great question. I have the same issues with my yum yum and havent even thought about what to do with her yet(kinda scared of it). Hope someone has some good tips.

TwilightOwl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:23:53 AM »
I believe I read a thread where someone suggested wrapping the pony in clear cling wrap, and using a paint pen or marker to draw over the symbols (hence preventing sun exposure). But I haven't tried it myself, and can't vouch for it personally. It sounds like it would work though. :)

Offline elish2

• As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:47:39 AM »
I believe I read a thread where someone suggested wrapping the pony in clear cling wrap, and using a paint pen or marker to draw over the symbols (hence preventing sun exposure). But I haven't tried it myself, and can't vouch for it personally. It sounds like it would work though. :)

Interesting thought. As long as the cling wrap does not move at all....
elish22 | eBay

Offline ooizza

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »
I sunfaded a Yum Yum this summer and I painted over her eyes, blush and symbols with acrylic paint. I used an off white just to be safe and it's what I had on hand. When she was done, I used rubbing alcohol to remove the paint and her symbols, blush and eyes were fine. I know I saw this tip on here, I just don't quite remember where.

Found it: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,288994.0.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:38:48 PM by ooizza »

Offline elish2

• As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 10:30:45 PM »
Thanks ooizza! That looks like it should work fine! Of course now it is winter up here, so it will take longer to fade than if it were summer....
elish22 | eBay

Offline ooizza

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:23:00 AM »
Good luck! The hard part is the painting and the waiting :)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 06:04:10 AM »
Just make sure you layer the paint on fairly thick! I did this with a Sugarberry, but I didn't paint over they symbols well enough, and they faded a bit. Also, are you sure she's as clean as she can be? I just ask in case you can avoid sunfading.

Offline elish2

• As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 06:15:17 AM »
Just make sure you layer the paint on fairly thick! I did this with a Sugarberry, but I didn't paint over they symbols well enough, and they faded a bit. Also, are you sure she's as clean as she can be? I just ask in case you can avoid sunfading.

Yeah, I scrubbed at her pretty good and she is still a tanish color, plus she has some "highlighter" near her tail and on her leg.

I just got done painting her and I painted it on rather thick as I was a little worried about potential fade, so no color is to be seen through the paint...

Now the hard part, wrapping the hair up! I hate wrapping the hair it is such a pain....
elish22 | eBay

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 08:44:31 PM »
I completely agree with the acrylic paint it is by far the best solution - quickest andmuch less footery than trying to cut out tape.

However, the only thing I would comment on is the colour of the paint. I had used white a couple of times myself before noticing that its not always 100% proof against fading so the last time I used a dark grey instread. I know white seems like the best option as there is little to no pigment to cause any staining issues. But the problem is white absorbs UV rays and therefore this is why its possible for fading to happen underneath the paint. You really want something which will reflect the rays of the sun away [ideally black or a darker shade]. The problem is you do take a bit of a gamble on the paint not staining the plastic itself. When I used the dark grey it was fine but it was on a Merriweather so not too much of an issue. 

If I was you, I would go with the darker colour but first I would paint a patch under her hoof and expose that to sun fading for the same amount of time you would be fading the rest of the pony. If there is no staining after its removed then use the darker colour on the rest of the body. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline elish2

• As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 11:16:14 PM »
I completely agree with the acrylic paint it is by far the best solution - quickest andmuch less footery than trying to cut out tape.

However, the only thing I would comment on is the colour of the paint. I had used white a couple of times myself before noticing that its not always 100% proof against fading so the last time I used a dark grey instread. I know white seems like the best option as there is little to no pigment to cause any staining issues. But the problem is white absorbs UV rays and therefore this is why its possible for fading to happen underneath the paint. You really want something which will reflect the rays of the sun away [ideally black or a darker shade]. The problem is you do take a bit of a gamble on the paint not staining the plastic itself. When I used the dark grey it was fine but it was on a Merriweather so not too much of an issue. 

If I was you, I would go with the darker colour but first I would paint a patch under her hoof and expose that to sun fading for the same amount of time you would be fading the rest of the pony. If there is no staining after its removed then use the darker colour on the rest of the body. :)

Thanks for the tip! :)
elish22 | eBay

Offline summerday

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Thanks Brightberry for my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 12:48:50 AM »
What about putting on a layer or two of white and then something darker over that?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 07:43:13 AM »
What about putting on a layer or two of white and then something darker over that?

Now that would be a great solution! Love it!
Loa is my love god!

Offline elish2

• As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 03:49:23 AM »
OK next question. I apparently stink at covering fading pink hair in tin foil...another way to do this better? Especially at the scalp? I really hate the idea of painting it and the tape always seems to be falling off...
elish22 | eBay

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Sunfading TAFs??? Next Question....
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 07:18:41 PM »
It needs to be covered so its just a matter of perhaps finding something different to cover it with that you can work with easier. I use tinfoil now as I find it easiest to scrunch but I used to use a cut up pillow case and a couple of those big hair clips hair dressers use to hold hair out of the way when they are styling. Brush hair out flat on one side of cloth, plop the other side of case over it; then fold the pillow case [with the hair sandwiched in the middle] down and then hold it in place with the clips [stationary bull dog clips will work for this as well].
Loa is my love god!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal