collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have had a case opened against me, help please?  (Read 516 times)

Water_Fire

• Trade Count: (0)
Have had a case opened against me, help please?
« on: October 23, 2013, 07:56:40 AM »
Hi, this isn't pony related but I've NEVER had this happen before!

I sold a brooch on 11th September, and today the buyer opened a case with me as they're saying it was defective. Apparently the pin on it is broken, so it 'wasn't as described'. Thing is, the brooch was sealed in it's packaging and I couldn't even see the pin, so I'm not sure how I could have known? Is this something I should have taken into consideration before I sold it?

Also, I'd imagine it's possible it could have broken in transit, not that it matters, I guess. If it's broken it's broken!

Also, they're asking for a replacement. The brooch was just a piece of costume jewellery I had knocking around the house, and was part of a pile of stuff I decided to part with and sell. I don't have another one! Can I just offer them a refund?

Honestly, I only sold the thing for 99p, so I don't mind refunding if that's what they want. I'm just really confused. Why did it take this long to notice? Also, how much in the wrong am I? I couldn't have checked that pin without opening the packaging,  but should I have done more before sending it?

Thanks guys! I've never had trouble on ebay before, I've been 100% positive feedback till now!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Have had a case opened against me, help please?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:09:17 AM »
 :hug: it's frustrating, believe me I know.

I would just respond to the case that a replacement is not option. I would then say that you are more than happy to offer a refund upon the return of the brooch. There is also the option to just refund her, as you mentioned. The case will automatically close then and you will not have to do anything more. The choice is obviously yours either way.

Honestly, I only sold the thing for 99p, so I don't mind refunding if that's what they want. I'm just really confused. Why did it take this long to notice? Also, how much in the wrong am I? I couldn't have checked that pin without opening the packaging,  but should I have done more before sending it?
  Was it sent overseas? I couldn't imagine it taking almost 43 days to decide it was broke? Unless they bought it for a special event or something and didn't open it till then.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Water_Fire

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:17:54 AM »
Maybe they did wait to open it for a special event, that's the only reason I can think of for such a delay!

Thanks for the advice, I'll go ahead and offer the refund. I'm just baffled, it seems like such a lot of hassle for such a cheap item! Ah well, I'll refund them because I don't want to ruin my feedback or anything...

bronycraft

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:49:26 AM »
I think the cut off for Paypal cases is 45 days - I always get a bit suspicious when people leave it till the last moment, but it could just be that she genuinely didn't open it until today.  I always ask for the buyer to send me the item back if they say it's faulty :)

Chimerick

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:02:17 AM »
I agree. Ask for it back, then issue the refund. Or at least see a picture of the broken item, before you give them money.

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:56 AM »
I also agree on sending the item back before a refund is given.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »
It does seem a bit off to wait so long before contacting you  :huh:  The usual thing to do would be to ask for the item to be returned and then you'll give the buyer a full refund since you cant offer a replacement :awake:   TBH though since its such a cheap item if you ask the buyer to send it back before you'll refund them  its going to cost them more money. So I guess if you're more concerned about your feedback it might just be best to refund them the 0.99 so the case will close ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Sky Wishes

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 11:27:44 PM »
:hug: it's frustrating, believe me I know.

I would just respond to the case that a replacement is not option. I would then say that you are more than happy to offer a refund upon the return of the brooch. There is also the option to just refund her, as you mentioned. The case will automatically close then and you will not have to do anything more. The choice is obviously yours either way.

Was it sent overseas? I couldn't imagine it taking almost 43 days to decide it was broke? Unless they bought it for a special event or something and didn't open it till then.

Im pretty at winning ebay open cases ive won everysingle one of mine including one the same as yourself Item not as described against me...
Reply to the case ensuring that you really emphasis on the fact that the item sold was 'NEW SEALED'  in packet also state that if you had opened the pacaging then wouldn't have been 'NEW SEALED IN PACKAGING' DO NOT say you could not have known if it where broken or not, because by doing so your kind of admitting liability! The trick is to ensure you choose your words VERY carefully. 
Your not in the wrong sometimes stuff gets damaged in the post sometimes new stuff breaks the first time you use it and then SOME people will claim that it was busted to start with! Its not just 99p theres the postage too and your owne feelinhgs to consider

Water_Fire

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 12:09:23 AM »
I messaged them back saying I'm sorry they weren't happy, that I don't have a replacement to offer but I'm more than happy to refund if they send a picture of it. Is that ok?

Sky Wishes

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 12:57:27 AM »
Thats fine but dont forget that when sending a refund you do not ha ve to refund the postage and packaging costs  :lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal