collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help! Rehairing/Touching Up My Precious Pony.  (Read 650 times)

Offline ZapAppleMedia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Help! Rehairing/Touching Up My Precious Pony.
« on: October 18, 2013, 09:26:45 AM »
My precious pony, Princess Luna, I love her sooooo much! But Luna really needs a touch up and a rehair. Here is a pic of her :
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Anyone suggest what I should I do, or not do anything at all or send it to another collector who's rehaired and touched up before? (I've never rehaired nor touched up a pony)

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
Re: Help! Rehairing/Touching Up My Precious Pony.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »
It does look like repeated play has made her hair pretty frizzy. But I think a rehair might be a little hasty, especially since that particular mold is a little bit tricky to rehair, especially the tail.

Have you ever conditioned her hair? To save hair, I try the softest, most gentle methods first, and work my way up from there. DRENCH her hair in good quality conditioner and leave it in there for a while. I'm not sure how long it is until conditioner will no longer benefit from being left in any longer, but I've left pony hair "marinating" for more than a day.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline ZapAppleMedia

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »
I'm afraid to leave my pony in conditioner for more than a hour...will the hair harden?

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:42:29 AM »
I have coated really dry hair in conditioner and left it on for days and its fine.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 09:45:37 AM »
I'm afraid to leave my pony in conditioner for more than a hour...will the hair harden?

If you leave the conditioner in for a while, the conditioner itself will stiffen around the hair, but will get nice and soft again once you rinse it out! :) After you rinse, leave Luna with her tail facing down so water can drain out of her body, down her tail, so there won't be any rusting on the inside.

I could also recommend using a flat iron, but I'm not sure how well that'd go since Luna has tinsel in her hair, and if you haven't used an iron before it's best to practice first, and Luna is really precious to you.

Don't worry-- I've seen pony hair LOTS worse than that come out looking amazing and I'm nowhere near an expert. Some of the other Arena residents are sure to have some tips for you if you need more help.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 10:01:17 AM »
I second reanna-mator. I had a McD's AJ with a horrendously frizzy tail, even worse than Luna's, but after a few days of conditioner and boil-straightening the frizziness improved immensely.

ETA: I would be apprehensive of heat around that tinsel though. I boiled one of my tinsel ponies and the results weren't too pretty.

As for touching up, is it that nick in her eye you're talking about? You could fix that up with a fine tipped brush and a bit of white hobby paint pretty quickly. If you're apprehensive at all, practice on a sheet of paper first before painting directly on the pony. DIY touch ups are a lot less risky than sending her through the mail during the Christmas rush, you'd be waiting quite a while to get her back this time of the year.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:05:27 AM by OneWingChangeling »

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »
I use a sharky hand held steam cleaner to de-frizz all my ponies hair. It is soo much easier than flat iron or boiling and it wont melt the hair or tinsel.

Tirac

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »
I agree with what's been said. Shampoo and conditioner can go a long way and a tiny bit of white paint can fix up her eye easily.

Offline ZapAppleMedia

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 11:11:04 PM »
Thanks you guys! Luna is sitting here until 9:10 and she's been in the hair for 13 HOURS! Not sure what the hair will come out like...
Also, her other eye...I just forgot to take a pic of that. Here : visitors can't see pics , please register or login

What about this eye?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:17:34 PM by ZapAppleMedia »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 04:54:14 AM »
I agree with the conditioning method first. Soak her hair in conditioner and then wrap her hair in saran wrap. Yes it will harden slightly but then you just wash it out. You may need to do that a few times in order to soften it.

For the next step, do you have access to a flat iron? That is going to be the next step to restoring her hair.

As to the eye touch ups, I would think a simple paint job is going to be all you can do due to where the scuff is located.

She looks like she has had a lot of adventures in her young life! I take it she gets a lot of play? :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 05:33:17 AM »
I usually leave the conditioner on their hair  until it drys up  is usally 24 hrs and then run it under hot water , then comb it and leave it to dry wrapped in paper for another 24 hrs
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline ZapAppleMedia

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 05:44:15 AM »
She looks like she has had a lot of adventures in her young life! I take it she gets a lot of play? :)
Yeah, I play with my brother with his Ben 10s with Luna and my other ponies.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 08:00:16 AM »
I usually condition for about 24 hours.  It works WONDERS on frizzled hair, I send all thrift store ponies through that treatment since most kids overbrush their ponies and they get pretty scraggly.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal