collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Re-Pinking Perfume Puff Hair?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
Re-Pinking Perfume Puff Hair?
« on: October 13, 2013, 07:18:30 AM »
Tried it the traditonal way withe RIT dy and yeah . . . did not work.  Is there another way?

I found this in the tutorials at the TP and have never known Kar Red Roses to be wrong.  What am I doing wrong?

Kar Red Roses writes ~ A Perfume Puff's hair should be no problem at all to repink! It's unlike the regular G1 pony hair, it's soft and cottony and ought to take the dye well. Rinse it well afterwards, and squeeze paper towels onto it to soak up the excess.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Re-Pinking Perfume Puff Hair?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 05:52:11 AM »
I repinked a Red Roses years and years ago and I dont remember having any particular issues.

Have you tried to force the dye to set in the hair? Soaking it in a salt or salt ash?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:53:52 AM »
No, I was doing it the way I've always done it, just a bowl of hot water and rit dye.  I mixed this much brighter hoping it would make it hold, but it still didn't work.  The dye ran right out of her hair.  The second photo is AFTER she was dyed,standing next to Red Roses with original pink hair, it's like I didn't do it at all.

Is there a specific technique to using salt, or do you simply mix some in with the water?

Someone at the TP also recommended trying vinegar.

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »
I have never repinked a perfume puff. I have heard that vinegar 'sets' the dye but I am not sure what to do exactly. Sorry I am not much help! :blush:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:51:07 PM »
To be honest the best thing to set dye is often brine [and then soda ash]...but not everyone wants to mess around with that or has it to hand :P

But salt should work it will depend on what the original issue regarding her holding the dye has been. It looks as though her hair has simply taken none of the dye at all. You need the hair to "open up" and accept the colour. So adding a mordant of some kind, such as salt before, during and after rinses should help the dye to fix to the hair.

As an extreme measure you could pick up a dye fixative for an after rinse - you should get that at a large fabric shop or easily enough online.

However, there is an unfortunate other possibility - there are a couple of hair types which are non porous and therefore will not take any type of dye at all. Having re pinked a Red Roses in the past and having seen others having done so, I am not aware of Perfume Puffs having poly hair or something similar. But unfortunately if the salt does not hold and a dye fixative makes no difference, its possible that that is the problem.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »
To be honest the best thing to set dye is often brine [and then soda ash]...but not everyone wants to mess around with that or has it to hand :P

But salt should work it will depend on what the original issue regarding her holding the dye has been. It looks as though her hair has simply taken none of the dye at all. You need the hair to "open up" and accept the colour. So adding a mordant of some kind, such as salt before, during and after rinses should help the dye to fix to the hair.

As an extreme measure you could pick up a dye fixative for an after rinse - you should get that at a large fabric shop or easily enough online.

However, there is an unfortunate other possibility - there are a couple of hair types which are non porous and therefore will not take any type of dye at all. Having re pinked a Red Roses in the past and having seen others having done so, I am not aware of Perfume Puffs having poly hair or something similar. But unfortunately if the salt does not hold and a dye fixative makes no difference, its possible that that is the problem.

Sounds like some good places to start!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal