collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it just me that can't stand Equestria Daily?  (Read 8396 times)

BowtieG1

• Trade Count: (0)
Is it just me that can't stand Equestria Daily?
« on: September 21, 2013, 08:41:02 AM »
I honestly think EQD is one of the most unprofessional news sites ever, and its just plain rude about older gens.

I am aware that they are more about the community of bronies than the toys and TV show but anybody who wants news about the toys or show has to trek over a mountain of "fanart weekly" "fan fiction updates #7468725" to see anything of any relevance.

I understand that they don't like older gens but that is no excuse for their extremely rude April Fools joke directed at them last year. It was plain immature and offensive.

As a whole they seem an amazingly negative influence on the already broken Brony community and the writers display the common decency of an ape.

And lets be honest. They seem to avoid G3.5 like the plague and criticize the design as being ugly and unrealistic but G3.5 and G4 aren't that different. Too skinny, huge heads and inflated ears. And G3.5 at least aren't near microscopic in size.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me that can't stand Equestria Daily?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:10:49 AM »
I honestly try to avoid the comment section of EQD. A lot of comments there are very headache-inducing. I'm not just even talking about the general dislike of old gen ponies...

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »

I am aware that they are more about the community of bronies than the toys and TV show but anybody who wants news about the toys or show has to trek over a mountain of "fanart weekly" "fan fiction updates #7468725" to see anything of any relevance.

You can only select the tag Merchendise to see only merchendise related post. :)

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
Personally, I'm on EQD every day, I just click "news" and "no fanfiction mode" when I'm on the site.

It's pretty good for finding out con news and merch news, but the comment section isn't always the nicest.
I think it's mainly a site you should only hang out on if you're a die hard Brony and not an older gen fan.

Unfortunately they've become two different fandoms, and it's basically like FiM is an offshoot of MLP instead of actually being MLP. If you like G4 and aren't a Brony, I'd stick to places like this, because the Arena is open to all gens. I like all gens, but try to avoid saying so in Brony oriented places, but that's not the way to be if you're a big fan of all gens.

I believe a lot of Bronies like G4 designs because of the fact that they look more like chibi anime ponies than real ponies. That's part of what makes me like their design so much. They've got very anime style eyes, and they're very cute in that way. I collected and LOVED G3, (never had other gens because I was into Barbies when I was younger), but G3.5 scared me because their mouths reminded me of the duck face and their heads always seemed really...fat to me, like they were puffing out their cheeks.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »
I don't think it's a bad site, it's just not my favorite...so I don't go there.  It's set up more like a blog, and that format doesn't really work for me, it's not like anyone HAS to go there if we don't like it. :) after all, I'm sure many of the regular commenters there would be horrified by the arena, with policies on pg 13 and no foul language, haha!
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline MANIMAL!

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:58:31 AM »

As a whole they seem an amazingly negative influence on the already broken Brony community and the writers display the common decency of an ape.

And lets be honest. They seem to avoid G3.5 like the plague and criticize the design as being ugly and unrealistic but G3.5 and G4 aren't that different. Too skinny, huge heads and inflated ears. And G3.5 at least aren't near microscopic in size.

Disclaimer: I'm an old school collector, currently focusing on FIM because that's what's coming out.

As to negativity, I notice a lot more negative energy on the Arena directed to EQD. Granted, I don't read the comments, because it doesn't interest me. If they don't mention G3.5, it's because they don't care. Why should they? It's not what bronies are interested in, and it's a brony site!

As to 3.5, I liked it a little, and even I think the G4s look way better. And G4s to have other characters besides the core seven (not much, unfortunately).

I don't know if the old school collectors are just angry that people they dislike are playing with their toys, or what. As for me, I just think it's cool other people like ponies. And I'm addicted to the drawfriend threads!

Offline Malicieuse

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 10:09:25 AM »

Disclaimer: I'm an old school collector, currently focusing on FIM because that's what's coming out.

As to negativity, I notice a lot more negative energy on the Arena directed to EQD. Granted, I don't read the comments, because it doesn't interest me. If they don't mention G3.5, it's because they don't care. Why should they? It's not what bronies are interested in, and it's a brony site!

As to 3.5, I liked it a little, and even I think the G4s look way better. And G4s to have other characters besides the core seven (not much, unfortunately).

I don't know if the old school collectors are just angry that people they dislike are playing with their toys, or what. As for me, I just think it's cool other people like ponies. And I'm addicted to the drawfriend threads!

You should check the comments. It is very clear a lot of them don't know much about MLP as a whole. Again, they don't care, no problem. However they do tend to act as if they know what they are talking about. For example, every time something pops up that they don't like you can bet someone will call it "G3". Brushables still get attacked for not being "show accurate" while these days there are more molded figures than brushables. I always felt that we collectors could nag a lot about toys that aren't even aimed at us...but it is nothing compared to the stuff i have seen in the EQD comment section.

I obviously check out EQD too. I like the art (though the need for saucy artwork can be akward), comics and the news of course. However the comment section is a painful mess. (I don't want to know if someone deems EQG to be suitable for personal funtime.)

{slight edit for content ~ashes}
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:29:57 PM by ashes »

BowtieG1

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 10:10:59 AM »

It isn't that they never mention G3.5, I couldn't care less. Its just when they do mention it, or any older gen, it is slander and rude, judgmental jokes.

If they hate it older gens much I don't see why they don't just shut up about them.

Old school collectors for the most part don't seem to be keen on bronys, but its justified. They're a misogynistic community that seem keen to attack anybody who doesn't believe that G4 is best. Its not that we don't want them playing with ponies, I'm all for more people playing with
ponies!

But they just have no reason to have such seething hatred towards other gens, yet they do, and it annoys me.

Offline Starly

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »
Don't take it all too personally, I hate when bronies are negative to collectors, and I hate when collectors are negative to bronies. Just ignore it, shrug it off, and most merch news is found otehr places faster anyway, so you're not missing much.

Posting it here just feels, I dunno, hypocritical.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Tenar

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »
I only read equestria daily now and again.  I never noticed a lot of hate really.   I find a lot of people want to call the bronies hipsters or posers for only liking 1 generation.  Personally, I'm not really partial to G3.5 I find the big heads really creepy and I didn't like their shows.  I don't blame people for only liking G4, people like what they like.   I wouldn't take it personally.

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
The only real experience I've had of EQD is that they used a photo of mine without permission and ignored the polite request I sent them to take it down.

Offline LittleKirara

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Professional Weasel Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »
I don't hate them per say but I don't love them either. I only go there for G4 news and I never read the comment sections. Some of the staff there can be very judgmental and rude. BUT it's their site and their allowed to have their options, so I try not to take them too seriously. :P 
   :heart:.:AQHA For Life:.:heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
<---- is watching this thread :P

As for my personal opinion? Most of the "toy" or "merch" news which shows up on EQD is posted about on the Arena [or TP] first. They tend to be quite late with news most of the time and quite often what they post [which is not specific to the cartoon] is inaccurate. A lot of the pictures they use are "borrowed" from sites like this. Sarah's picture is a case in point and out of curiosity I once watermarked an image with "MLP Arena" only to see it pop up on EQD [with the watermark] 24 hours later. I didnt send them the image and certainly never granted permission for it to be shared. But I am not a brony or someone who is really more about G4 and the cartoon then anything else...therefore I am not exactly the target market so I guess the fact it and the vast majority of its content does not appeal to me is perhaps not surprising.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 11:25:35 AM »
Sonetimes I cant stand EQD too as far as toy new! Before joining the Arena I depended on EQD for all the toy news. Ugh their news is slow and its just a bunch of comics, fanfics, newbietraining grounds..... not fun stuff for toy collectors! In fact their toy info seems to be from members of the arena? So I stick here instead of EQD. Though I will admit I do like their top 10 pony videos of the month.  As a lover of G4 and G1, sometimes its hard to be on that website because of the rude G1 comments! Without G1 would we even have the G4 My Little Pony the bronies love so much? Roots are important!  Sometines I go on there to view custom compilations, those are neat!

I missed the whole April fools joke about G1....I dunno if I want to see it if its sad :(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:34:09 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline Beachball

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
I visited ED recently and there are so many posts in the archive it'd take me a year and a half to be caught up if I do nothing else but read them. I don't think I'm exaggerating too much.

My Pokémon Blog: http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal