collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Gift Payments and Seller Fee Etiquette  (Read 4700 times)

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
Gift Payments and Seller Fee Etiquette
« on: September 16, 2013, 08:31:37 PM »
As I have run into this quite a few times recently, I was wondering what the policies or opinions are on requesting payment be made by gift payment via paypal?

I have also come across many sellers asking if the payment is not made as a gift that the buyer covers the paypal fees for them.

I was under the impression this was against PayPal policy to request gift payments for items---it also leaves the buyer unprotected if something were to happen. Very scary.

I have had persons in the past request Gift or pay fees or they will refuse sale. I typically steer clear of these sale threads when they are clear and posted in the topic unless the item I need is just WORTH it to me to pay more.

However, I have found sellers NOT posting that this is a requirement of payment in the sales posts and then tacking it on at the end or again as above giving the choice or no sale.

I really just wanted clarification on what is the right thing here. As as seller on here, eBay, and Etsy I have never asked for gift payments, nor have I asked for additional payments to cover my fees. I always include it into the price of the item or accept that there will be a little fee on my end.

So confused.  :blink:
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
Re: Gift Payments and Seller Fee Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »
In my opinion, it is the sellers responsibility to pay the fees. That's just something that comes along with selling and accepting Paypal. Asking the buyer to pay the fees or send as a gift is unprofessional, as I see it. If the seller wishes to offset the fees, they should raise their prices slightly to compensate. I think there was a thread a while back asking this question.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:48:41 PM »
This has been discussed here a few times and I am someone that thinks the fees are the responsibility of the seller. I never ask for a payment as a gift, regardless of the amount. I can understand someone wanting the fees covered if the item only costs a couple dollars (or is free)... However, I honestly get annoyed when I spend over $100 and have someone ask me for another $3 for fees AFTER I pay. Most often, if I really want the item, I will just send extra for the fees, rather than paying as a gift.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:55:32 PM »
I also agree that it's the sellers responsibility to pay the fee, or if I'm expected to pay the fee to let me know, as I don't like sending payments via the gift option because it leaves the buyer vulnerable should items not show up.

If I were to sell on here I would expect to pay the seller fees. However I know that a lot of sellers do request that either the buyer pays the fee tacked on to the purchase price or they send the payment as a gift.

Everyone is different, but I've never quite understood exactly what is or isn't supposed to be allowed. So it's a godo question :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »
What I don't understand is, why not work the paypal fees into the price of the item if a seller really cannot bear to pay them? You're setting the price of the item, why not be up-front about it?

A couple sellers were very good to me and were willing to hold items when I had some unexpected money troubles earlier this month, so I was willing to cover paypal fees as thanks (and if you read this, thank you again! :D), but most of the time it really puts me off a seller.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 09:22:40 PM »
It's definitely the sellers responsibility to pay the fees if they are not factored into the price. I more often than not pay as gift by my own choice with sellers that have good feedback when the amount is under $50. I have never been asked outright to do so, but it has been suggested to pay that way but only if I was comfortable with it. It's risky as most my purchases come from overseas, but I like to do it as those sellers go to alot of trouble getting int'l quotes, waiting to see if I'm ok with that quote etc...

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 09:31:56 PM »
Mm sometimes I tack on a handling fee if supplies for boxes cost me. Bubble wrap is so expensive so usually anything extra for me is packaging supplies unless I have stuff that is reusable.

I'm a good for not knowing this but picking up on recently. Technically a seller cannot tell you to pay the fees. It's against PP policy and someone tell me if I'm wrong but can't you report them? Anyway I just up the price some in the original item anymore if I'm that weird about it.

Anyway I pay fees if someone is selling me something at a "pick up at store price", but I would hope they would show the same kindness.  I never send payment as a gift. Recently I've been getting MO. I kinda like that better. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:38:23 PM »
Anyway I pay fees if someone is selling me something at a "pick up at store price", but I would hope they would show the same kindness.  I never send payment as a gift. Recently I've been getting MO. I kinda like that better. :lol:
Good point. If someone's not making any money on the transaction, I think it's reasonable for the buyer to pay the fees. Otherwise the "seller" is paying to buy them something, and that's not right.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:51:55 PM »
Personally, I generally round up to the nearest 50c on shipping.  If the shipping is like 3.23, I'll charge 3.50 or if it's 3.76 I'll round to $4.00.  That is where I generally smooth over *some* of the fees on Paypal, and then my shipping costs.  I don't factor such into my items because I don't know what exactly a buyer is going to buy. . .  I only deal with 3 ponies or more, and that helps with packing and fees in of its own. . .  But if people buy greater multiples from me than three, especially for some more expensive ponies, I'll cut people a break, or give them a better deal.  Also, if I factored all my fees in per item, and lifted the cost of my items, it may make it harder for trades since I try to do a lot of trading as well.  ^^

If people don't like that, then they're not in anyway obligated to buy fro me, ya know?  Same with those sellers who ask either gift or pay the fees.  Long as they're up front, which every seller should be upfront in how they do business.  That's all I'm concerned with.  If I'm buying, then I can factor in the cost a bit easier for myself.  :3

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
If someone demands I pay via gift or cover their Paypal fee, I won't do business with them. If you want your fee 'covered' so badly, price your items a little bit higher. I don't mind people asking me the pay the fee that much (I won't do it though) but what makes my blood boil is the demanding of paying as a gift. That leaves the buyer completely unprotected and is just so incredibly shady. I don't mind paying via gift to friends or sellers I've come to trust, but demanding I do when we've never had any sort of contact before is absolutely ridiculous.

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 01:06:37 AM »
This is a very interesting question, one I've never thought about.

I do ask if it's all right with the buyer to cover the fees if I'm selling something from and over the $50 mark. If they say that is not okay with them - okay, the sale is still on, it's just a courtesy in my opinion. It works both ways for me really - I always ask the seller if they want me to cover the fees so they wouldn't feel cheated out. I know that adding that $2 or $3 doesn't seem like much and might be annoying to some buyers, but I never felt like it's the responsibility of the seller to cover them. Then again, I never charge the buyer for the costs of any wrappings or envelopes and boxes when shipping, so it might even up that way. It is a good idea to add the cost of the fee in the price of the item or shipping - it's an easy solution, but not everyone (namely me) had thought about it :blush:

I don't think it's okay though to ask someone to cover the fees after the payment has been done - that is just unfair.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 03:05:02 AM »
I find it incredibly rude when someone tacks "+ paypal fees" onto their sales posts, especially when it's someone who sells a lot so they're more than likely aware of Paypal's policies. Though, it's ruder when they don't mention it but then make a fuss when you enquire about shipping quotes! When I've sold stuff I just price my items a lil higher to cover it and I also round up to the postage cost (I don't tend to charge for packaging if I've just mailed something in a bubble envelope so this covers some of that as well) to the nearest 50p.

I cover the fees for things like box splits where the seller has done me a favour and isn't making any money off it.

I have been wondering for a while if Paypal actually does anything if you report accounts that do this?
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 03:21:16 AM »
Paypal fees are the responsibility of the seller, not the buyer (the exception being if the person "selling" isnt actually selling - they are just picking something up for the "buyer"- a friend-  as a favour - say for example I live in the UK and a friend in the US gets a pony for me that I cant find here. Then I would pay the fees because the seller has picked it up as a favor , not as a sale, and it wouldnt be fair for them to be out of money because I asked them to get something for me) :awake: 
 I dont like the idea of adding paypal fees or any other extra payments on after the sale has been agreed either.  The seller can easily work the Paypal fees into the cost of the item they are selling and advertise it at that price.

The gift option should only be used to send money to someone who is a close friend/family member who can be trusted 100% as you are *not* covered by Paypal if something goes wrong  ;)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 03:56:30 AM »
I sometimes ask people to send as gift and I'm surprised more here have not admitted it because EVERYONE I deal with asks me to pay via gift option. And 99% of the time I find people send via the gift option anyway without me even mentioning it.

I do NOT ask people to pay by gift to avoid any comebacks, and I do say if you are not comfortable paying that way then that's fine too! And when I pay other by gift I have never had to cover their fees.

I send tracked always, so there really is no issue.

I've never had any problems. My feedback speaks for itself.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 04:46:10 AM »
If the seller has it posted to cover paypal fees as well as shipping there should be no question who should cover it. If its a big sell I don't mind paying the fees. But when I sell I don't charge gas or bubble wrap, tape, packaging, tracking, ect. and everything else that costs to mail. I don't mark up the prices to cover the fees because to me it just sounds "hidden or sneaky" I let the buyer know up front what to pay to the exact penny. I don't care if it is sent as a gift but prefer the fee just be paid to cover both parties. I do the same for others that I buy from too. Im happy to pay the fees when buying something that don't cost a lot. I think a lot of people don't sell because of the fees included & I don't blame them.
Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal