collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Deflocking advice?  (Read 7807 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Deflocking advice?
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:38:49 AM »
Hey all! So I've got a question on deflocking that I hope someone can help with!

I've got a ribbon and wind whistler whose 80% deflocked except for some really tough spots and parts with lots of glue. Their my 2nd attempt at a deflock, my first was a paradise who took me a year but got her done and no sign of glue anywhere.

Now here's where I need your help, I've been deflocking with nail polish remover because it has acetone in it. It stinks, and it does not do a great job. I just read in another thread that I'm supposed to use pure acetone. Have you guys been using pure acetone all these years with me thinking you all deflock gorgeously with nail polish remover?! *head desk* here comes 8+ years of questions....where do I get pure acetone? Is it expensive? How do I use it to deflock? Can I do it indoors?  Does it melt plastic? Remove symbols or eyes? Is it easy? Do I have to use gloves? Can I use it on a wash cloth?

*Ahem* sorry... I'm just bewildered that I've been doing this wrong for so long!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Deflocking advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 03:56:29 AM »
where do I get pure acetone? Any hardware store should have it.

Is it expensive? Nah. No idea how much it'll be there, but it's not much.

How do I use it to deflock? Same way you use nail polish remover. I use a cloth or ball of cotton wool, and scrub away! Avoid all paint/symbols, though. It'll take them off quick smart.

Can I do it indoors?  Yes, but make sure you've got some ventilation. I prefer to do it outside just because of smell and fumes and mess, but you can do it indoors. It does smell pretty strong.

Does it melt plastic? Yes, if you use it on some plastics (like dream beauties) or if you leave it on for too long.

Remove symbols or eyes? Ohhhh yeah.

Is it easy? No harder to use than nail polish. *Generally* works much better, although I have had some really stubborn deflocks that responded better to nail polish remover!

Do I have to use gloves? Up to you. If you've got sensitive skin, you might want to, but you don't have to.

Can I use it on a wash cloth? Yep, but I wouldn't use it afterwards for anything else! Also, i'd check to make sure you're not going to transfer any colour from the cloth to the pony, if it's a coloured cloth.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline WildBlue

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Possibly maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:28:40 AM »
Right at this moment I am working on a SS Scrumptious who had mostly glue left. I began with hot water and dish soap. Scrub, scrub, scrub - with my hands and sponge. Then I got oxiclean and very hot water. Let it sit a few hours. Scrub some more. Rinse, dish soap and scrub some more. Now she is sitting in another oxiclean/boiled water for a few more hours.
Every time I do this she gets whiter. So that is what I am going to keep doing.
Nail polish remover chokes me up, cant stand the smell indoors or outdoors.

Offline lindsayrose1985

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 05:50:21 AM »
I don't use acetone at all to deflock.  I boil the pony on the stove for 10-15 minutes then while the pony is still hot I *carefully rub her with exfoliating gloves. Too remove the glue residue I use acetone free nail polish remover liberally. ..less stinky and doesn't remove the paint on the symbols.  I deflocked my bangles in less than one day using this method!  If she needs longer or starts to harden again while scrubbing  I pop her in the pot again....
I was recommended to use decorating sugar soap as well. It's cheap but I've not tried that yet! :)
Hello, [you] i'm looking for so softs in need  of a little TLC :)

Offline WildBlue

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Possibly maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 06:36:12 AM »
I don't use acetone at all to deflock.  I boil the pony on the stove for 10-15 minutes then while the pony is still hot I *carefully rub her with exfoliating gloves. Too remove the glue residue I use acetone free nail polish remover liberally. ..less stinky and doesn't remove the paint on the symbols.  I deflocked my bangles in less than one day using this method!  If she needs longer or starts to harden again while scrubbing  I pop her in the pot again....
I was recommended to use decorating sugar soap as well. It's cheap but I've not tried that yet! :)

Hello! I read your post about Bangles last night and that encouraged me to try with the boiling water doing my first deflock. :D
Although, I dont have any kind of nail polish remover and hoping I might not need it.

Offline lindsayrose1985

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 06:57:54 AM »

Hello! I read your post about Bangles last night and that encouraged me to try with the boiling water doing my first deflock. :D
Although, I dont have any kind of nail polish remover and hoping I might not need it.

definitely worth a try!! I got most of the fluff and glue off that way. Only the stubborn residue I got off with the varnish remover. ..if your more patient than me it might work.  I'm terribly impatient lol  and my mum wanted the stove back!! Apparently its to cook dinner not ponies !!! Never knew that ;)
 :haha: :haha:

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:20:39 AM »
hmmm. got a bag full of deflocking ponies. gonna have to try a few of these

Offline LadySiha

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'll meet you across the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 08:03:52 AM »
This was super helpful!  I've had a Ribbon sitting on my shelf for a few months that needs de-flocking and I didn't know where to start! 

Offline WildBlue

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Possibly maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 08:15:56 AM »

definitely worth a try!! I got most of the fluff and glue off that way. Only the stubborn residue I got off with the varnish remover. ..if your more patient than me it might work.  I'm terribly impatient lol  and my mum wanted the stove back!! Apparently its to cook dinner not ponies !!! Never knew that ;)
 :haha: :haha:

I agree! I am now on my second deflocking (only have two I want to do) and WOW, this took a lot less time! After the water cooled off some so I could handle it took about ten minutes to get it mostly off. 
but I dont think I am going to get away with not using a varnish remover of some sort for a  little stickiness in places... :\

Offline lindsayrose1985

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »
Fabulous!!!! Congratulations :D
use a acetone free nail polish remover, so less smelly plus no need to worry about removing the paint on their eyes and symbols! Especially as the flocking seems to lodge in the eye creases! It only takes a couple of minutes. 
Bangles smells like a pony again as well no wiffy varnish smell remains!! :)

Offline Ionn

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Horse Shaped Object Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 08:40:59 AM »
Is it bad that after reading this thread I have 'ideas' and wish I had a gronky pony to deflock? :lol:

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 08:48:15 AM »
I deflock constantly, I use pure acetone and Jasco. The fumes don't bother me.... heck I don't even wear gloves when I do acetone work (I do with Jasco, it makes my skin burn)... but, I've never had an issue with either of them and probably won't try anything else anytime soon either, lol, works fabulous. I've probably deflocked about 40-50 ponies...
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline happycootie

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • G1 collector & animal lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 08:48:51 AM »
I've seen a lot of icky-looking so softs over the years but never knew how to help them... until now ;) Thanks to everyone who has shared their tips!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 08:52:25 AM »
This is very interesting and happy that I found this. I have a Best Wishes that is in need to be deflocked. Her wings and her neck have nothing left on them.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 08:59:21 AM »
Avene if you get a pegasus who's wings are already rubbed off, you're GOLDEN!! That's the worst part of any of them in my opinion, I hate the wings, lol

Best Wishes is gorgeous deflocked too~ Her colors are so bright! :biggrin:
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal