collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Non-Paying Bidders: Give Me Some Advice  (Read 581 times)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Non-Paying Bidders: Give Me Some Advice
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »
Okay.  I've had enough.

I'm a very easy-going eBay seller.  Yes, I want you to pay for your items, but if you can't (or don't want to) pay, I understand.  Really, I do understand.  Sometimes you place a bid and then find the item for a lower price.  Sometimes forces beyond your control come into play and you need your money for food, not ponies.  It's cool...just let me know!

This past week I have THREE non payers.  That's NOT cool.  So, I need some advice.  Here's how I work.

1) I have stated in my listing that payment is due within 7 days.  is this too long?

2) I allow eBay to send out invoices.  I don't send my own.

3) If I haven't received payment, on the 4th day I send another invoice as a reminder.  I also ask if the buyer is still interested in the item.  If not, I am willing to cancel the transaction vs. opening a NPB claim.  Um, I've never gotten a message back.  Should I be saying something different? 

4) On the eighth day, a NPB claim is opened.

5) Here's the kicker  I offer Second Chance offers if there has been NO response from the winning bidder.  The thing is, it's now 12 days after the auction has ended.  Many times the second highest bidder doesn't want the item anymore!

SO, what would be a reasonable time to receive payment?  Three days instead of seven?  Two?  I'd love to get some feedback and see what's working for you.

Thanks!

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Paying Bidders: Give Me Some Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:57:24 PM »
I completely understand your frustration. Much like yourelf, we're very understanding sellers, things happen, people change their minds etc... just let us know and we'll cancel the transaction etc...

In any event, all of our listings state that payment must be received within 3 days of winning the item. We allow ebay to send out an invoice on our behalf, if the buyer hasn't paid we send another invoice on the 3rd day and advise the buyer that payment is due by whatever time on whatever day, if payment isn't received we'll be left with no choice but to open a case.

Not to sure about second chance offers, simply because we've had buyers pay on the very last day of a case being opened. So because of that, we don't dabble with offering 2nd chance offers until the original transaction has officially been terminated.

There isn't too much you can do, everyone has their own guidelines for how long they wait for payments, how many times they initiate contact with the buyer and how long before opening a case.

For me/us, it really just comes down to communication. If you won an item and will be away and need a little bit more time or whatever, let us know, we are understanding people. However nothing makes me more upset than people who just plain ignore you and dont bother responding to messages. It's rude.

I'm done ranting now lol
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »
Here is my opinion, also numbered...

1 - Yes. Seven days is too long. I find three to be totally reasonable. The only unreasonable length is less than two days, some buyers require payment in 24 hours. THAT is too short. Send an invoice right after the auction ends (or a couple hours after, in case they use checkout). Then again three days later. Then send a message reminding them to send payment.

2 - Send your own invoices. I send several if payment isn't forthcoming.

3 - I would send a second/third invoice. I would send a message reminding them to pay. Just a very simple 'just sending a reminder to send payment'. Nothing more - don't mention NPB things or that you will take it up with ebay. Neither should you offer to just end the transaction - the less you say, the less likely it can be mis-interpreted by either the buyer or ebay in case of a claim.

4 - I agree on the day eight open a claim. I wait anywhere from seven to fourteen days before opening a claim, just going by how much of a hurry I am in, the buyer's past feedback and such.

5 - I get the same thing. Very few people actually accept the second chance offer. No idea what to do about it. =/

6 - I think I have my auctions set for 'payment needs to be received within 48 hours' but it isn't set in stone. Generally, if an item sells Friday, I like to get payment at least by the following Wednesday. But I can only list items while at the library, on Friday, and I can only ship on Friday... so however long they take, I am not really fussed by it.

I will NO LONGER be cancelling transactions though. I get WAY to many newer bidders who either don't read the parts about shipping, which countries are not allowed, or just change their mind.  Not unless the reason is a good one - they need to learn that ebay isn't a game. You bid, you buy!

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »
Thanks, guys!  Your feedback is very hepful!

*gets post it pad & pen*

Nopony messes with "New" Little Spiffy! NOPONY!  ;)

*writes on post it*

Payment w/i 3 days

Send own invoices. Initial invoice day 1, reminder on day 4, second and final reminder day 6, open NPB case day 8 if no response.

I feel like this is gonna work!

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »
There you go, Spiffys on a mission now  :P

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »
Woo!  Glad you've got a system!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 06:34:20 AM »
Thanks, guys!  Your feedback is very hepful!

*gets post it pad & pen*

Nopony messes with "New" Little Spiffy! NOPONY!  ;)

*writes on post it*

Payment w/i 3 days

Send own invoices. Initial invoice day 1, reminder on day 4, second and final reminder day 6, open NPB case day 8 if no response.

I feel like this is gonna work!

Sounds good to me :bigups:   I hope that this works much better for you now - there are way too many time wasters on  Ebay these days :yikes:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal