collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fixing Custom  (Read 1029 times)

Offline PrincessKelliee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Fixing Custom
« on: September 24, 2013, 07:43:14 AM »
Okay, I tried painting and failed. Removed the paint, bought new paint, new brushes and gave it another go. It's not completely horrible, but it ain't pretty upclose. Tried sealing it with a matte sealer, no luck.

Is is possible for me to fix her with makeup sponges? Like sponge over and over and over to get her even? The head is ok, nothing bad but her body...  :blink:

Also, if anyone has some spare hair for sale, please let me know. I need hair for my Fluttershy custom (the horrible one  :P) Or tell me what hair comes close to the G4 Fluttershy on Mylittlecustoms or Dollyhair

Thanks!

privatejoenes

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Fixing Custom
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »
When i hand paint a pony i'm usually using fairly stiff, short brushes and thin even coats. i think the spotlight this month is on repainting too so that should also be pretty helpful.

Offline PrincessKelliee

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 12:01:28 PM »
Thanks, I've read the post, but honestly can still not get how a pony can turn out that smooth   :P Maybe I'm expecting too much for my first custom. I painted the eyes earlier btw  :biggrin:  On the picture you can't really see the brush strokes

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:08:03 PM »
In my experience (other than maybe some sanding, but usually for me that goes horribly wrong) there isn't a way to remove brush strokes once they are there if they are heavy. You'll need to strip her and start over. If the brush strokes are light, more painting with thinned paint may help.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 04:24:34 PM »
Like kaoskat said, a smooth paint job needs to start with a smooth base. I use makeup sponges to get the smooth base and then touch up with a paintbrush later. Also be sure every coat is completely dry before you go back over it. It is a tedious process, but ends up nice.

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 06:37:54 AM »
Agreed, But I don't see the brush strokes in the photo either. I think she looks fine!

Makeup sponges---thin coats and let dry--- that's the way to do it without and airbrush. Just keep tapping that sponge on and you'll get there. Yellow is an insanely hard color to get good coverage with.

OLD BUBBLEGUM is the closest DH match to FlutterShy, sadly I do not have that color in my hair box.
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 05:10:57 AM »
Thanks, I've read the post, but honestly can still not get how a pony can turn out that smooth   :P Maybe I'm expecting too much for my first custom. I painted the eyes earlier btw  :biggrin:  On the picture you can't really see the brush strokes

Look at that eye! Gosh you did such a lovely job on it, eyes are always where my downfall comes into play. I'll see if I have any hair at home....

Offline PrincessKelliee

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 06:30:17 AM »
Thank you so much!
I was really worried when painting the eyes, but it went fine in one go  :biggrin:

I'm gonna get my paint and brushes out and try to work on the body again so I can paint her some symbols  ^.^

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 07:55:59 AM »
I will say that yellow and white are notoriously hard to make fbr for.  My first questions would be how much are you thinning your paint out and how many coats are you using?  The second most common pitfall is to paint a new coat before the bottom coat is completely dry.  ^^ Keep practicing, I can speak from experience that as you go you learn more and get better.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 08:00:07 AM »
Have you tried a VERY fine sandpaper?  The finer the better, and very gentle movements can help. 

Offline PrincessKelliee

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 01:54:56 PM »
I tried some sandpaper, but that didn't really work out. I should really find a finer grit :)

I've thinned the paint up untill it was barely paint, like water color  :P I think she has like 30 coats, which I've let dry in between... time consuming, but fun!

Here she is now, still needs hair, which I don't have yet

Tomorrow it's cutie mark time!  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal