collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best way to clean G1 ponies?  (Read 1053 times)

HolliBell

• Trade Count: (0)
Best way to clean G1 ponies?
« on: June 03, 2013, 02:51:58 PM »
Gypsy is finnally home, and she's almost perfect, She does need a spa day though and I was wondering what the best way to clean off some highlighter in the ear and the dingy off her body without hurting her perfect eyes, freckles and cutie mark....any suggestions?

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
Re: Best way to clean G1 ponies?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:03:36 PM »
Congrats!

Try covering everything but the areas with highlighter, and sunfade them off.

On a pony like gypsy, I'd keep a very close eye on her progress. Most highlighter fades pretty quickly in my experience.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 03:06:14 PM »
The spots that she's just a little dirty, try magic eraser-- carefully, since she's Gypsy. One or two swipes with one should take off surface dirt and leave paint alone. Just did this today for Baby Shaggy. But I'd go around the cutie mark, since it has glitter in it.

Congratulations on welcoming a gorgeous pony into your herd!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline butterflybuttons

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:09:58 PM »
The dingy on her body may come off with a good scrub with a soft brush running very warm water over her and a bit of dishwashing liquid or a soft scrub paste.

I like to use an old toothbrush and some jif, I think it's called cif in the US, someone else might be able to help you better with products.

If it doesn't come off after a good clean, take a photo of it and we can access it a bit better :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:11:38 PM by butterflybuttons »

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »
The dingy on her body may come off with a good scrub with a soft brush running very warm water over her and a bit of dishwashing liquid or a soft scrub paste.

I like to use an old toothbrush and some jif, I think it's called cif in the US, someone else might be able to help you better with products.

If it doesn't come off after a good clean, take a photo of it and we can access it a bit better :)

Ha, I was so confused at first! Jif is a brand of peanut butter! XD Looking up Cif, that makes a lot more sense!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline butterflybuttons

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »
Lol! I had a feeling it was something completely different to cleaning products :lmao: I wouldn't recommend peanut butter for cleaning.

HolliBell

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:03:41 PM »
The spots that she's just a little dirty, try magic eraser-- carefully, since she's Gypsy. One or two swipes with one should take off surface dirt and leave paint alone. Just did this today for Baby Shaggy. But I'd go around the cutie mark, since it has glitter in it.

Oh dear is she different from most other ponies to clean?

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 08:52:26 PM »
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Suave-Daily-Clarifying-Shampoo-22-oz/10293563

I use this its amazing for cleaning, It is really good for stripping grease dirt..ect.
and is so soft on paint its like not putting anything on the pony at all. Her hair may be a bit dry after useing it on her but that's good because the oil from peoples hands will be stripped off of her hair able to make your conditioner work even better.

As far as marker stains, Sun bleaching is the only thing I can think of fixing her.
I have a "Swirly wirly" with an orange highlight marker in her ears too. Its annoying but nothing to big that the sun can't handle.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:55:32 PM by NamineEveningLight »
:accomplished:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »
Any pony with glittery symbols you have to be very careful with, they're easily damaged.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 01:34:15 AM »

Oh dear is she different from most other ponies to clean?

I am sure its just because of the glitter symbols - the magic eraser will remove the glitter so you should be careful :) Thats all!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 02:11:32 PM »
It's also because of her dark color - using magic eraser etc might "bleach" her color if it is overused. Magic eraser is a very, very fine form of sandpaper. But a lot of similar colored ponies with glittery symbols need to be washed with care :)

Also, I've been able to remove highlighter with just soap and water (rarely though, but it did happen!) . It depends on what kind of highligther that has been used - so maybe you're lucky! I always start with soap and water and see what I'm able to remove with that - and then go from there ;)
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 09:51:40 PM »
Try a baby wipe!  :D  And yes, be cautious about the glitter - you can use Q-tips to clean there! 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal