collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: cutie mark and symbols?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
Re: cutie mark and symbols?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 11:10:26 AM »
you can usually tell which Gen the collector likes best when talking about their symbols/cutie marks.
I'm not sure if that applies to me or or not... On the one hand, I love all gens, but on the other hand I like a lot more episodes from G3 and G4, both of which had cutie marks. So I dunno really, but ulitimately I think I just identify with the term cutie mark better.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 11:20:52 AM »
I use cutie mark for G3 and G4, symbol for G1 and G2.
You could say they are different actually. Symbols tend to be on both sides of a pony and a cutie mark is only on one side of a pony (in general).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 04:24:50 PM »
I guess I am just old school :P I just use "symbol".

I honestly have no problem with who uses what and I agree it almost makes sense to have a G1/G2 symbol and G3/G4 cutie mark divide but I honestly think its a personal preference. We should be able to call them as we wish - symbol, cutie mark, bottom tattoo or rump rune [love that :P].

I certainly dont think its all down to a G1 v G4 thing.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »
I guess I am just old school :P I just use "symbol".

I honestly have no problem with who uses what and I agree it almost makes sense to have a G1/G2 symbol and G3/G4 cutie mark divide but I honestly think its a personal preference. We should be able to call them as we wish - symbol, cutie mark, bottom tattoo or rump rune [love that :P].

I certainly dont think its all down to a G1 v G4 thing.
Yeah, that's how I look at it.  I realize that calling it a cutie mark for G1 and G2 is wrong, but I still see it as one, because I have a sentimental attachment to the term "cutie mark".  Because of that, I wouldn't force someone who liked the term "symbol" to only use it for G1 and G2 either.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline sweetiebabyfizzy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony Mommy, with a pony family...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:24 PM »
"cutie mark" has always made me want to roll my eyes.  :rolleyes:

Although I do find the cutie mark crusaders very adorable. I think because they are baby ponies, it suits them.

However over all, I use symbol. Although I guess what someone else said about using cutie mark for G3 & G4 since they only have the symbol on one side (another issue I have) kinda makes sense.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 07:55:24 PM »
I just say "symbol."  I don't have a problem with collectors who use the term "cutie mark" but as a mainly-g1 collector, I prefer symbols
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 08:01:34 PM »
I prefer symbol myself though I have used cutie mark in certain situations.  I never liked the term cutie mark.  I, like others, find it to be too cutesy.  But I have never "corrected" someone on using either term.

A lot of older collectors are a little frustrated with how prevalent FiM has become and how a lot of the new fan base seem to judge and view all older generations through that lens.  I suspect that the symbol/cutie mark thing is coming out of that frustration.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 08:13:35 PM »
I always say symbol, but it doesn't bother me what other people call it :)
My Wish List

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 08:27:25 PM »
I find all these answers very interesting :) and I think it's a shame that there does still to be some animosity between different gen collectors, especially when assumptions can be made about a collector over something as simple as this (such as  the assumption that all Gen 4 collectors think their way is the "best" way). Personally, I grew up on G1's and I'll always treasure them, but I love the term cutie mark better since it just sounds more adorable to me. But I'm not sure I'd pick the G4 show over the G1...and when it comes to pony toys themselves, I definitely prefer G3 XD

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »
I've called 'em symbols for over twenty five years, I"m not about to change now. Too old for that. *shakes cane at all you young whipper snappers and your new fangled language*  :P

"Cutie Mark" just sounds so... so... Mary Sue.  Cutesy desu desu special sparkle snowflake-ism.  I like the idea behind it, granted it's just an expansion of what was already laid down with G1, but not the words Hasbro in all its wisdom chose to represent flank markings.  It can go right into the bin with "every pony must feature pink or purple" as far as ideas go.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal