collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Scandinavian / Australian Gusty, shorter mane?  (Read 577 times)

Offline balletpot

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Avatar: Childhood Bow-Tie in a new outfit.
    • View Profile
Scandinavian / Australian Gusty, shorter mane?
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:35:00 AM »
I've recently bought a Scandinavian Gusty, listed as "My Little Pony 10" on Swedish eBay. :lol: The head was loose just as it was on all the other ponies the seller had. She was not the original owner, obviously, so she didn't know why the heads had been loosened. I know that some people take the heads off to clean all of their ponies, regardless of their state. I was also told by a friend that her dad had loosened the heads on her childhood ponies so she could play with them in the bathtub when she was little - so that it was easier to dry them out.

When I got the pony and had studied it for a while and compared it to my US Gusty I realised that the mane was shorter. It doesn't look like it has been cut and inside the head it looks like a legit Hasbro mane base. The tail has its original metal washer and "clip"(?). I googled pictures of Scandinavian Gusty plus I had a few saved on the computer and the mane seems to be shorter than on US Gusty. Does anyone know if her mane is supposed to be shorter?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My two Gustys.

At first I thought the tail on the Scandinavian Gusty felt thinner but they look about the same when braided.

Tail and mane. It was hard to photograph but this is the best I could do.

A collage of Scandinavian Gustys from aroud the web. Some are from Swedish eBay, some are from the Arena, the old one, and I can dig out the member names for credit if needed.

Here's a photo of my two Gustys before the Scandinavian one had been fixed up. Its messy hair looks just as short as on some in the collage above.

Picture from the MLP Nirvana gallery - by Norrskensljus.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:32:50 AM by balletpot »

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: Scandinavian / Australian Gusty, shorter mane?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:06:57 AM »
That's very interesting! Have you tried actually measuring the hair in addition to just eyeballing the length? In the final pic by Norrskenljus it certainly looks like US and UK Gusties have longer hair than the Scandinavian, just like yours.

I don't have US Gusty but I compared my UK one with my Scandinavian one, and their manes look the same. When pulled straight, the last plugs in the neck extend well past the bent knee. I didn't take exact measurements, though. I always thought Scandinavian Gusty just has UK Gusty's head mixed with the US Gusty's body. I've also wondered if there's any way to tell a genuine Scandinavian from someone's custom "frankensteined" one... US and UK Gusties seem to yellow differently, the UK ones always appear whiter. I don't know about the Scandinavian Gusty, but I don't recall seeing her with bad head-body mismatch, which would suggest she's not just a mash-up... I'm curious, what is the actual story of the Scandinavian edition.   

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline balletpot

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Avatar: Childhood Bow-Tie in a new outfit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:23:19 AM »
I just tried stretching the hair closest to the neck and they differ. I first made sure that the heads were in the same position on both ponies, the marks on the body and neck are a bit off, not straightly aligned. US Gusty's hair reaches below the knee and covers half of the bottom part of the leg ("the calf"). My Scandinavian Gusty's hair reaches the knee, just a tiny bit below the knee and tummy, it's definitely shorter.

Edit: I just saw that you said the two yellow differently. When I got my US one I was disappointed because it was so yellow, I thought, and it smelled smoke. However the Scandinavian pony was much yellower than my US one - both have been sunfaded now.  The Scandinavian one also has a very hard body, my US one's legs are very soft. But then, I don't know what my Scandinavian Gusty has been through.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:30:07 AM by balletpot »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:18:07 AM »
the hair does look shorter, but it does not looked trimmed :)

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal