collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Fifth Annual Arena Derby! Predict who will win and get prizes!  (Read 5209 times)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Yay!  Derby time! :cheer:

Thanks, SDS, for wrangling the whole thing into being. ^.^  I had a lot of fun with last year's Derby, and am drafting my sweet son to help with the predictions for this year.  Yay!

ETA:  PM sent! :cheer:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:58:17 PM by Sugar »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
Wow, some pretty tough match ups there, and a nice project for this week!  ^.^

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

shadowdreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
O.O I am still really confused on how to do this.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
:facepalm:  <--- this is directed at me, not you. I have the hardest time explaining how to do this and I bollixed it up yet again. ^^;

Let's look at the first two races.
Race #1 between Cool Breeze, Firefly, Gusty and Tex - who do you think will get the most votes? And who will come in second?
Race #2 between Baby Moondancer, Fizzy, Lemondrop and Nightglider - who do you think will get the most votes? And who will come in second?
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

shadowdreamer

:facepalm:  <--- this is directed at me, not you. I have the hardest time explaining how to do this and I bollixed it up yet again. ^^;

Let's look at the first two races.
Race #1 between Cool Breeze, Firefly, Gusty and Tex - who do you think will get the most votes? And who will come in second?
Race #2 between Baby Moondancer, Fizzy, Lemondrop and Nightglider - who do you think will get the most votes? And who will come in second?

Ok. I get that...so what I do is pm you and say  race 1-  Firefly and Tex. Race 2- Nightglider and lemondrop, and just go on and on until I get to the last race? or do I only do 1 race at a time in pm XD

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
O.O I am still really confused on how to do this.

Here let me try to help...this is a ladder match, Round Robin kind of thing.

Race 1
1. Pony A
2. Pony B
3. Pony C
4. Pony D

Between these 4 who comes in first and who comes in second. Let's say you think pony A comes in first and Pony B comes in second.

Race 2
5. Pony E
6. Pony F
7. Pony G
8. Pony H

Same thing as before.  Say pony E is first and Pony F is second. Continue through all the first line ups like this through number 64. The next column is for the next race sets of the previous winners and runner up. So for example we Said in race 1 pony A and pony b won, and in race 2 pony e and pony f won, so the next column looks like this:

65. Pony A
66. Pony B
67. Pony E
68. Pony F

Who comes in first here? Who in second? it goes on like that until you get to the final two ponies. THe spreadsheet she has on here shows it pretty well. I used that to keep track of my ponies...
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
Yes, I need predictions all the way to the final race. Before any of them get started. :D

It's easiest on me to receive a numbered list from 1 to 127 with the names of the winners. You see the numbers in the boxes where you see the ponies' names? There are 127 numbers.

My own just-for-fun predictions go like this:

1 Gusty
2 Firefly
3 Fizzy
4 Nightglider
5 Munchy
6 Wigwam

[snipping out 7-124 so I don't look too dumb with bad predictions.... ^^; ]

125 Gusty
126 Minty
127 Gusty

I can take predictions in other ways too.

* If you need to print out the brackets and write your predictions in with pencil, that's fine. Scan when you're done and then link me to the scan, that works too.

* If you have Excel on your computer, you can download the Excel spreadsheet linked above, fill it out, then email the spreadsheet to me.

* You can type your names in the boxes on your image program (like Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, or whatever else works), and then email me the files/screen shots.

* Heck, I'll even PM you my phone number/Skype number if you want to call me and tell me! :lol: I know the above methods wouldn't be convenient away from a computer (ie. Ipad, etc).

EDIT: Let's see if a sample from last year's Derby will help.

The first race was between Kimono, the 2008 Black/Blue Art pony, Starbeam and Rarity. You look in the second column, and you see that 2008 Black/Blue won the race, and Kimono came in second.

The second race was between Shenanigans, Waterfire, Denim Blue and Applejack. You look in the second column, and you see that Waterfire won and Shenanigans came in second.

Do you see that this makes a new group of four ponies? Between Black/Blue, Kimono, Waterfire and Shenanigans? This is another race of four, and two are eliminated and two move on. If you look to the third column, you can see that in this race Waterfire won and Shenanigans came in second place.

It's all about looking at the four names in the left-side column, moving two over and making more groups. Eventually you eliminate every name until you get just to one name left.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:31:18 PM by SourdoughStomper »

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
Ok, I'll be doing this when I get home from work today! Just for clarification (first time everyone, sorry!) we go right through to the final now? Not just the first round, then determine winners, then do the next round based on that?

again sorry everyone, Derby Noob!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
Ok, I'll be doing this when I get home from work today! Just for clarification (first time everyone, sorry!) we go right through to the final now? Not just the first round, then determine winners, then do the next round based on that?

again sorry everyone, Derby Noob!

Yep you send all your predictions now.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

shadowdreamer

Ok, I am pretty sure I understand now! XD Ok... Ok.. Thank you!! I will send you my list in pm, and if I did it wrong you can just help me there! :) Thank you! :) Sorry I am such a noob!

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
That's not a problem. :) I know it sounds/looks more complicated than it really is. Steep learning curve.

DerbyGirl

This looks fun...I'd guess it's something like filling out NCAA brackets like I do every year? I'll get to work on deciding!

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
This looks fun...I'd guess it's something like filling out NCAA brackets like I do every year? I'll get to work on deciding!

Bingo! It's like filling out those March Madness brackets. :biggrin:

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
PM'd my predictions. Total guesses on the G2's. Not too familiar with that gen :P Whoever had the prettiest name moved on in my bracket  xD

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
PM'd my predictions. Total guesses on the G2's. Not too familiar with that gen :P Whoever had the prettiest name moved on in my bracket  xD

That's almost how I did it, except it was whoever had the prettiest face. I just hope that everyone's tastes match my own. ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal