collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Shipping prices.. please help me!  (Read 590 times)

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Shipping prices.. please help me!
« on: May 04, 2013, 10:39:01 AM »
I've been selling a few items recently and I have discovered that I no longer have a handle on shipping prices.   I've already lost money by underestimating shipping prices and I don't want to keep doing this. 

While I don't have a lot of extra money right now, would it be worth it for me to invest in a scale?   If so, is there a type that is not too expensive but would do a decent job?   I'm just tired of taking losses!

Also, could anyone please tell me the approximate cost to ship a MIB Peacock pony within the USA?  For reference, this one:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I appreciate all the help.  I just need to get a handle on this before I start selling more items. 

Thanks!
~Wystearya

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping prices.. please help me!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »
Is it not possible to go to the PO, hun? Just to get a general idea? :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »
No.  Not on a regular basis.  I work full time and do my sales in my spare time.  I'm lucky to be able to ship things during my lunch breaks.  I don't really have the time to go and ask the PO every time I have a package to mail.  I'm hoping to have a convenient and reliable way to more accurately estimate my costs so that I don't lose as much money.

I do try to estimate with the online calculator, but I must always underestimate the weight.  This is why I mentioned a scale.  ;)

Post Merge: May 04, 2013, 12:57:23 PM

PS -- I took a moment to check out shipping scales and the prices are pretty reasonable!   I was worried they would be too expensive.  I think I will invest in one, that will help me a great deal!

Though, until it arrives, I would like to know if anyone happens to know the approximate cost to ship the MIB Peacock pony.

Thanks!!

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 02:05:15 PM »
A scale is definitely a good investment, I love having one. I tried out a few different ones in the store and used my phone to check accuracy. (Look up the weigh of phone and test each scale, etc.)

Also, always make sure you weigh with any packaging materials, bubble wrap/tissue paper can add up quickly. I am not familiar with those MIB so I do not know if they would be over the First Class limit in the U.S. Hopefully someone else will know. :)
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 04:32:32 PM »
Well, it almost depends on your packaging. Some packaging is heavier than others.

The box with pony is 7 oz. (^^ I just weighed it). So-- it depends on your packaging, to see if it gets bumped over 13 oz. Ya know? Because that makes a huge difference.

Edit to say, I found an older PO scale for $2 at a thrift store. Best $2 I ever spent. :3

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
Thank you very much!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »
This is what I do. I have not read the responses so far so forgive me if I repeat another idea.  I have a tiny food scale for first class mail.  I bought it at the grocery store. It goes up to 12 ounces.  I use that for all of my mailers and I always had like 1 ounces to the weight I get just for error.

So, If I pack a pony in a mailer and stick it on the food scale and it weighs 2 ounces...I say it weighs 3 and call it good.

For bigger packages, I weigh myself, then I weigh myself holding the box.  I subtract the two weights and then add half a pound to the total I get. I usually add the half a pound because of error.  This way I know I will get the shipping within the appropriate range.

So if I weigh 120 and with my box I weigh 125 then my box is 5 pounds plus the half a pound for extra error measure. 5.5 is the total.

I have been selling on ebay for 10 years.  This is the method I have always used for shipping and I have not gotten it wrong once.  I highly recommend this as its cheaper than buying a postal scale.  I wish I had a postal scale though.

The key is to have your packing and your box before you list your item for sale so  you can get a perfect price for your item before you set up your sales.  Adding the extra half pound covers the taping...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:47:07 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 08:08:31 AM »
I would highly recommend in investing in a Postal Scale, they are inexpensive and you will not be sorry that you did so.
I bought mine off ebay years ago and have never had an issue, it will I believe weigh up to 25 lbs.  Plus then you are not playing the guessing game.  Just pop in on there and Viola..the exact weight.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 01:02:08 PM »
Thank you all!

I just placed an order for one on Amazon.  Since I have a Prime account I get the free 2-day shipping.  Soon I will be able to know the weight instead of guessing, and failing.  :P

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:41:18 PM »
I can't tell you how much money I've saved since I purchased a shipping scale 2 years ago! It's so hard to estimate the weight of a package, and going to the post office to get a quote is simply unrealistic for many people who work full time. Also, if you haven't tried printing your shipping at home & requesting the mail carrier to pick up your packages, I HIGHLY recommend that as well. It makes selling so much easier if you are squeezing it into your spare time. No more trips to the post office & you can ship things out within 24 hours of receiving the payment. :bigups:

Best of luck to you! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal