collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Prices of ponies  (Read 1964 times)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
Prices of ponies
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:22:32 AM »
Hey guys,

This is probably a stupid question cuz most people probably have their own methods, but generally how high do people price their average to somewhat uncommon G1s?

I'm wondering how much money I should take with me to spend at the fair. I was actually going to try to see if I could take several hundred dollars in spending money. Things will be tight all of June for me to put some money back.

Do most people tend to be overpriced, or are they fair about it?

I just wanna go there with enough money to have a good time with. Truth be told, I know there are panels and events, but I'm mainly just going for the shopping.  :blush:   And there are also a few people from here I'd like to meet in person if I can somehow find them while I am there on the Saturday of the event.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
Re: Prices of ponies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:02:19 AM »
Generally I find that convention prices are much like Arena prices - reasonable and not OTT the way eBay can be sometimes.

I usually spend around £100, but how much you'll spend will obviously depend on what ponies you are after

Offline shimmer73083

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »
Last year I brought I think about 600 and spent 400 and had a wonderful time shopping for my childhood ponies and wants.  I found prices reasonable and you don't have to pay shipping.  This year I may even pick up a few playsets because, A. no shipping costs and B. we are driving so I can buy as much as I can fit in the car, lol.

:good:

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+150)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
most prices seemed fair....I plan on marking most of my ponies good prices...I don't have anything too rare...probably the rarest will be 7 tales sweetheart....possible one Italian :lol:......customs....boy hats....art...maybe jewelry....come see me....can't wait to meet people!....the only ponies that seemed over priced was Nirvanas...I am not gonna even say what I spent last year....  :blush:

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »
The prices are usually very fair, sometimes even under arena prices and you don't have to worry about shipping. Personally I'm pricing my ponies low because I want to take as few back as possible, and people tend to have great sales on sunday as well  ^.^

Last year I took...$300 I think? And ended up going to the bank and getting $100 more  :P

Offline munchy

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:06:57 PM »
I usually bring around $400-500 but I've never spent all of it. Overall I'd say prices were pretty reasonable to begin with and there's always the option to haggle which you don't really have buying online. Also if you think a pony is priced to high, chances are someone else will be selling the same one for less at another table.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 12:39:43 AM »
Thanks guys!

It's good to know about the fair prices. And the lack of shipping is something I've definitely remembered. That will seriously save some money. I was trying to make it where I had at least $600 to take with me. I want to leave the place with a few bags of ponies. Gotta be worth my time, ya know? Haha!   Bad thing is, I am getting to the point where I have most of the US G1s. I am sure any European ponies will probably be higher. But I'm going there with the intention of spoiling myself.
I am sure there will be other stuff I wanna get.....like artwork. I am sure some people will be selling that kind of stuff. Would be nice to get some cool pictures to hang up. :)
My Wishlist

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Clipper
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 01:11:19 AM »
I price my ponies depending on condition , rarity and how much I spent on them. But it doesn't hurt to mAke offers either. One thing I noticed at last years con, there was more merchanise being sold then ponies, so yes you could find the same pony at someone else's booth, but condition is what you're paying for IMO . (:

Offline Rhini

• MOC Mimic
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 02:15:59 AM »
*nods* I treat the fair as the place to find things I won't find on my own, or have a very low likelihood of finding. So Nirvanas, EU/UK things, customs, set completers, that's what I focus on!

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 07:08:35 PM »
The only Fair I've been to before this one was the 2011 fair...I think I spent about $300 at that one.  Right now I'm looking for a lot of harder to find ponies, so there are a lot I may not find at all and some that I'm sure I'll pay a pretty penny for if I do (I need two Mountain Boys to complete that set and I've started on the TAF babies).  I just hope I can sell enough to offset some of my spending costs!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 01:17:25 PM »
One thing about prices: the "good deals" go fast! If you see a pony that you think is priced low, grab it when you see it rather than walking around for awhile & thinking it will be there when you get back, lol.

Last year I saw some great deals, reasonable prices, and some very over-priced ponies. In my opinion, there's always a mix. :P

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »
kitkatvintage is right -- there really is  good mix.   A lot of sellers are willing to make deals, but it's always best not to go shopping with too high expectations.   

As far as how much money to bring, a good rule of thumb is to prepare as if what you're looking for is ALL going to be there. I'm sure there are ATM's nearby, but most people like to buy and sell on the spot without the hassle of holding. 

One thing about prices: the "good deals" go fast! If you see a pony that you think is priced low, grab it when you see it rather than walking around for awhile & thinking it will be there when you get back, lol.

MOST DEFINITEY!!  :thumb: There is a lot of disappointed self-butt-kicking going on.  While sales are pretty much final at these things, just trust your gut and don't expect things to stay around once you leave the booth. 

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 01:23:23 AM »
Well I'm going to make sure I have a good $800 in cash to bring with me on this trip. It might seem like a lot, but part of this money will be going to gas, rooming, and booze. XD  I'll forgo some meals in favor of ponies. Seriously!

I am so excited about this convention! It will be the firs time in forever that I am going in somewhere and leaving with bags of vintage ponies.
Do these places tend to have lots of European exclusives? i wanna get some of them too!
My Wishlist

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • http://www.undead455.com
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 12:10:06 PM »
i found the fair in 2011 in rhode island a mix of prices. there were some crazy high prices and some really low prices where i had to ask the seller to repeat that LOL

i always ask people if i buy alot can i have a deal and normaly get a few dollars off. plus i find not buying right away and waiting during the day makes you think about if you really want that item and not just an impulse buy

mostly. make a budget for you and stick to it.

Offline Rhini

• MOC Mimic
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 03:37:16 PM »
I think it'd probably be best to separate out pony money from food/etc money :P Otherwise I'd do the same thing, be not eating so I could buy ponies!  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal