collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: eBay shipping problem... need advice :/  (Read 485 times)

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
eBay shipping problem... need advice :/
« on: March 27, 2013, 06:48:43 PM »
I've just sold a lot of 4 comics on ebay, and I clearly stated in my description that they will ship in a stiff cardboard envelope/mailer. The buyer just paid... but he wants different shipping. Instead of messaging me to inquire about different shipping FIRST and then letting me invoice him with the revised cost! :(

He left a note telling me (not asking  -_-) to ship them in a box with padding. I don't have a problem doing that, but the shipping in that case will be $16, not the $8 as stated in the listing (and he already paid). Canada Post is crazy expensive like that.

So how do I handle this? Explain this via ebay messaging, and ask if he wants to pay $16 shipping instead? And if he does, do I refund his entire original payment and re-invoice him with the new shipping? Would I do that through eBay, or through Paypal?

And if he doesn't want to pay $16 shipping, do I just ask him to cancel? I can't afford to pay double the shipping myself. But if I send them the way I stated in the listing and he paid for (cardboard mailer for $8) I'm afraid he'll leave negative feedback.  :huh:

I don't know what to do but I want to do it the right way, lol. Thanks anyone for any advice, it's much appreciated :)

EDIT: okay, so I panicked and called eBay just now. They told me I can invoice him for the extra $8 shipping through Paypal, if he agrees. So... now I've politely messaged him explaining this, and I guess I wait and see if he agrees?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:09:25 PM by Zombelina »
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
Re: eBay shipping problem... need advice :/
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
Calling ebay was a smart move. I usually inquire about special packing before I bid, but sometimes I find a listing with only a few hours to go, I don't send a demanding message like your buyer but nicely let the seller know that I spotted the listing without enough time to ask prior, request a box/extra padding whatever it may be and let them know I would be happy paying the difference should it change shipping costs. Most respond back saying it was the packaging all along, others were ok with accommodating me.  So long as it sounds like you are happy to accommodate the request if the additional shipping is paid for in your response, or fine with cancelling if the buyer is unwilling to pay the extra $8 I don't see you having issues. I know I'm more then happy spending a little extra knowing my items are traveling safely packed then having things arrived damaged- hopefully this buyer is the same and will send the extra $8 without complaint so his comics arrive safe and sound.

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
Thank you for the reassurance, FantasticFirefly :hug: I really appreciate it!

Yes, I think it was partly the tone of his message that upset me. I felt kinda told off :lol: I don't anticipate problems mailing comics in my heavy cardboard water-resistant mailers, as I ship art prints in them from my etsy store all the time (although I know damage is always possible, but 20+ prints on and they've been all good). So I'm sure comics will also do fine in them, but I definitely don't mind packing up a box for him instead... if he'd asked before he paid and allowed me to adjust the cost :D

Hopefully I'll hear back soon. I don't mind cancelling either as there was another bidder I can offer a second chance to. :) I just want everybody to be happy  :lol:

EDIT: All is well! Just had a friendly message back from the buyer. Sounds like he's been burned before with crappy shipping and probably worded his earlier message a bit strongly :D We've sorted it out amicably and should be good to go now. Whew! Thanks for reassuring me, FantasticFirefly, and bearing with me, Arena peeps, while I had my small freakout XD
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:07:08 PM by Zombelina »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 11:19:10 PM »
Hooray!  I am glad to hear it's going well... after all, you both just want the comics to arrive in great condition!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 11:46:51 PM »
Thanks, LBS! Yes, I'd honestly be bummed out too if something happened to them, I'm fond of all my comics, even the ones I'm selling :biggrin: Now to wait... and hopefully it will be an ebay happily ever after (we need more of those!) :P

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 05:05:58 AM »
I think you handled this really well, and I'm glad that you and your buyer have worked it out now :hug: :)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 07:00:16 AM »
EDIT: All is well! Just had a friendly message back from the buyer. Sounds like he's been burned before with crappy shipping and probably worded his earlier message a bit strongly :D We've sorted it out amicably and should be good to go now. Whew! Thanks for reassuring me, FantasticFirefly, and bearing with me, Arena peeps, while I had my small freakout XD

Yay! I HOPED this was the case from your buyer- it didn't excuse the tone of the original message but as a buyer ebay can be so frustrating when (even the sellers who claim to "pack really well" in the listing) you receive boxes/envelopes of damaged items from terrible packing..... I message sellers now because I was sick and tired receiving packages shipped with complete disrespect causing things to either slip out and go missing, or just become damaged.  :cry:

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 10:14:31 AM »
I am late to the party but I am glad to see all went without incident with your buyer.  I can bet by the tone of his earlier message though that he has received damaged items in the past.  Although it is no reason to be rude to you.  :huh:

But you did the right thing by contacting ebay to make sure your bases were covered. Hopefully all goes well from here on out.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 12:23:33 PM »
Thank you everyone, it's so much appreciated. It's so nice to know there is a place to come for support when things go awry. :grouphug: Fingers crossed everything ends well!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal