collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First 2 customs ever WIPs :D (Updated!!)  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Draikinator

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
First 2 customs ever WIPs :D (Updated!!)
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »
Hi! My very first two customs ever. I'm still working on them though. They're not finished and I wanted to ask some questions while I'm waiting for my hair to come in.

1. G4 Wigwam!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Eugh. The cutie mark looks really bad in the picture but much prettier in person. Head isn't attached yet, no neck plug.

So yeah questions:
I've read all the reviews on sealants. I've never had modge podge get tacky on me, but I'm told it does. Does it?
For the hair, I want that great front floop that you get on G1s where it falls forward, should I poke an extra hole in the front of the rows of hair for rehairing?
What should I make his bandana out of?
Should I paint his hooves a different colour or leave them as is?
For a first custom, what do you think?? :33 I bulked up the hind legs and snout and did the footies.

ALSO I made him a little hat.

2. Sleipner pony!
Made from a brushable Celestia bait.

GOSH hacking off those wings was the worst thing ever, I must have hacked away at the neck plug fr an hour before I realized exactly why it wasn't going to work. :muffin: Pony.
Anyway if you do not know what Sleipner is, Sleipner is the 8 legged horse Odin rides in Norse mythology. Fun fact, Sleipner is Loki's son!

The paint job isn't finished, still needs more black on the insides of the legs and more grey on top to smooth out the colour a bit. And obviously eyes.
I added on four extra legs and bulked up the snout to make it more masculine.
(btw, head isjust sort of stuck on with a bit of sculpey since it's not attached yet)

I'm having an issue with how to ix the back though. I took the wings out which is apparantly necessary if I want to rehair the tail. I can't do that until the paint is all finished but I can't seal the hole until it's rehaired. Should I just rehair it, clay over the hole and repaint the area very carefully?

Also, I ran her head through the oven and her neck plugholes closed up! D: I was not aware that would happen. If I poke through with a needle will it still go through do you think?

Also, flank. cutie mark yes or no, and if so, what do you think?

Thanks!!

///edit///
Updates! :33

Wigwam is finished! Or at least, as finished as I really can finish him. I made him a little fake neckplug out of tinfoil but... his darn head really is loose and bobbly. Need to find some solution to this. Ah well!

GOSH he looks so light in this photo next to the real deal. I promise he's much brighter in person. Maybe it's the light reflecting off of the shiny sealant...? IRL they're a fairly close match.

Sleipner has his paint finished. (other than his back which has to be done after his tail is finished.)

More pictures under the cut!
Spoiler

Also, a new project I'm working on: Starswirl the bearded! Starswirl is a wizard often referenced in friendship is magic. He's never actually shown but twilight wears his costume once for nightmare night and princess luna remarks on it's accuracy! (being immortal she knew him. :P) I am very much a fan of the Discord-Is-Starswirl fan theory and plan to paint him that discordy shade of brown, and also give him bushy eyebrows and a long brushable wizard beard. :33 SO MUCH HAIR! I also hope I can make him a little cloak and hat. Maybe use some actual tiny bells and paint on the little symbols.
Anyway here is the bait having been sculpted (one ear got brushed off whoops gotta fix that)

As you can see I have buffed up his chest, snout, and his hind legs. Only partial hooffluff. Most of his fluff will be actually fluffy. And pointy eras to show his discordyness. Made from a lyra bait. Not yet baked so he hasn't been sanded yet.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:30:40 AM by Draikinator »
-Want to buy those squishy Russian "Plush Apple" brand toys, especially the shining armor/cadence set. also the russian chupa chups vinyl scratch.-

Offline SoldierofTwilight

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Eyup!
    • View Profile
    • DA
Re: First 2 customs ever WIPs :D
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 12:55:38 PM »
Awesome looking ponies so far! I can't wait to see your Sleipnir done!! I'm Asatru, so seeing Norse ponies excites me!

Customs l Twilight Soldier l Twilight Innocence l Fayte l Clicks?
Currently working on: Nuffins D:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 01:00:08 PM »
Cant wait to see when done :)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:05:10 AM »
Look great so far! Can't wait to see them done!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

greymei

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »
I'm super excited about your Sleipner pony! I can't wait to see him finished!

Offline Draikinator

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 02:03:31 PM »
I actually finished the mane on Wigwam this evening and all he needs is the tail~! I really need to update sleipner's picture, he looks soooo much better now.  Tomorrow: Photos!
-Want to buy those squishy Russian "Plush Apple" brand toys, especially the shining armor/cadence set. also the russian chupa chups vinyl scratch.-

Offline Tyrsalc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
ok, first off...Sleipner!!!!!  :green:   ok, favorite mythical equine fangirl squeal is over.

Your clay work looks amazing, I must congratulate you with that. I myself still have issues with getting the clay nice and smoothed out where it meets the pony.

I've never had modge podge go tacky with me, but I have read if it's in a humid atmosphere for a while it will start to turn opaque and cloudy. I live in Washington state, lots of rain, but haven't had any of mine turn cloudy. For the front piece of hair I would just do extra plugs, or on the side with more plugs have the extra ones be the front piece. Hope that made sense. For the bandana I would use some of my scrap cloth, but I know a lot of people who make clothing and such from clay, which I fail at. Personal preference on the hooves, I would make them a slightly darker color than the body. I feel it shows of the hair above the hooves better. I have no advice on the Sleipner since I've never had the chance to customize a Celestia.

All in all I think you are doing amazing with your customs. On Wigwam though, I can see some of the paint strokes from the brush. Some people use make up sponges or watered down paint with many layers to keep the brush strokes out. It could also just be a little too much paint on the brush, or the previous layer of paint not being fully dry before putting on a new one (guilty of that myself on many an occasion). As I said, everything else looks just awesome. Now if you will kindly look to your left at the purple weasels wearing glasses and eating peanut butter.... * steals Sleipner *

Offline Draikinator

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 02:14:53 AM »
ok, first off...Sleipner!!!!!  :green:   ok, favorite mythical equine fangirl squeal is over.

Your clay work looks amazing, I must congratulate you with that. I myself still have issues with getting the clay nice and smoothed out where it meets the pony.

I've never had modge podge go tacky with me, but I have read if it's in a humid atmosphere for a while it will start to turn opaque and cloudy. I live in Washington state, lots of rain, but haven't had any of mine turn cloudy. For the front piece of hair I would just do extra plugs, or on the side with more plugs have the extra ones be the front piece. Hope that made sense. For the bandana I would use some of my scrap cloth, but I know a lot of people who make clothing and such from clay, which I fail at. Personal preference on the hooves, I would make them a slightly darker color than the body. I feel it shows of the hair above the hooves better. I have no advice on the Sleipner since I've never had the chance to customize a Celestia.

All in all I think you are doing amazing with your customs. On Wigwam though, I can see some of the paint strokes from the brush. Some people use make up sponges or watered down paint with many layers to keep the brush strokes out. It could also just be a little too much paint on the brush, or the previous layer of paint not being fully dry before putting on a new one (guilty of that myself on many an occasion). As I said, everything else looks just awesome. Now if you will kindly look to your left at the purple weasels wearing glasses and eating peanut butter.... * steals Sleipner *

Ahhhh I really should have painted wigwam's feeties. ;_; THey would have looked much better.
I ended up actually putitng one larger plug towards the front but he has a large bald spot, because I made him his hat! But it doesn't sit so well on hair because whoops I sculpted it on a bald pony. So I just... will leave his hat on. Forever. ;>_>

The celestia figures are mad hard to customize as it turns out. They're not hollow at all ugh.

And I had no idea how to paint it without brush strokes! Make up sponges?? Won't that leave a spongy texture though? Yeah they orange paint I used was way too thick. Sleipner looks much much better now that he's out of underpainting mode. He's got a little white appaloosa on him, too.  His eyes came out a lot better than wigwams. The place where I chopped off celestia's horn is a little flat, though... It sunk in while it was baking and I didn't notice until it was too late to feasibly fix it. Sleipner really only needs rehairing and then to finish his back. I think I'll probably put him up for sale when he's finished. :33 I went a googlign to see if anybody else had done a sleipner pony and only found one!! D: So sad.

Oh! Question though. About heads. Clestia has a broken neckplug, and wigwam doesn't... even HAVE a neckplug! How on earth do I get the heads back on? Sculpt something and make their heads in a rigid pose? Ah, but if I sculpt it I would need to bake it, and I don't think I should do that... Glue?
Oh, and hairplugs, after I've finished rehairng, should I glue them in place inside the head?

(oh, and I'm working on two more. A really simple one with no sculpting, Star Catcher g4 because I love star catcher and starswirl the bearded with brushable beard. :D And a little cloak and hat.)

Offline snwbear24

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 02:23:42 AM »
They are looking great so far can't wait to see when they are finished!!
Looking For these to complete my G4's!!  :biggrin:
Royal Gem Carriage w/ Star Swirl

Looking For these G1's to complete US collection!!
Bushwoolies- Cheery, Hugster, and Chumster

Offline Tyrsalc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 03:47:05 AM »
My second custom was supposed to be Sleipner. Sadly, due my awful clay skills he looked really bad with white paint. It just showed off all the flaws and I was about to give up on him. Then after some research I found another 8-legged horse. Echwas was a horse-god of mightmares which actually predated Odin and Sleipner, but it's guessed that he was the "inspiration" for Sleipner, much like the Greek gods were to the Romans gods. If you're ok with it I can throw up a pic of mine.

Oh, and with the hair holes closing up, I've had that happen on one of mine and I used a pushpin. Stick that in and let it sit there for a bit to have it stretch before putting the hair in. It will make the hair easier to pop in and will end up shrinking back down.

starswirl the bearded with brushable beard. :D And a little cloak and hat.)
That was going to be my first full G4 custom. The only other ones I have done were just rehairs and new symbols for duplicate ponies my daughter had. She likes her ponies and I can't do a "real" custom for her as she is 5 and doesn't understand "display only".
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:50:42 AM by Tyrsalc »

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 04:02:49 AM »
Sleipnir with a flank marking? [from wiki]
Spoiler

That would be cool I think. I love your leg work. :biggrin:

I solved the no-neckplug problem unconventially... I had saved what remained of the one I broke taking out of the Custom pony I did for the Color Swap and permanently attached it with Apoxie Sculpt which thankfully airdries. I debated between that and stuffing the cavity with aluminum foil and glue sealing the whole mess shut. I did have a temp aluminum plug in it while I was painting it. :huh:
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 04:12:51 AM »
Can't wait to see those two finished.  Especially the horse of Odin!!

Offline Draikinator

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
Re: First 2 customs ever WIPs :D (Updated!!)
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 09:31:26 AM »
Updated!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal