collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: PHOTO TUTORIAL -- Yarn fiber rehairing! [VERY pic heavy!!]  (Read 7920 times)

Offline SilkSpunTopic starter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • *wiggles*
PHOTO TUTORIAL -- Yarn fiber rehairing! [VERY pic heavy!!]
« on: March 22, 2013, 04:57:41 AM »
Hey everybody! I got a lot of interest in my soft fluffy yarn rehairs I did....

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

...so here's a tutorial on how you can do it yourself! I didn't invent this method all by myself or anything - I had been using it for years, but for making faux fur accents on costumes instead, and it's fairly well-known among other creative communities like that. In any case, I thought it would work great for rehairing ponies, and it does! Without any further ado, here's how you do it:

Materials:

100% acrylic WORSTED WEIGHT yarn (AKA standard or medium weight - ask the yarn store person for help if you don't know what to look for!)- do NOT use cotton, wool, alpaca, or any other natural blend. The softer the better, so avoid cheap scratchy bulk yarns like Red Heart or I Love This Yarn.
Hair straightener with adjustable heat setting on LOW
Metal-bristled pet slicker brush
A smooth, disposable surface to brush on top of - this is because the pet bristles are pretty scratchy, you will totally ruin the finish on your tabletop if you're not using something like smooth cardboard or cardstock!
Rehair tool - IF you're using the needle-and-thread method instead, follow all the following steps but DO NOT separate your yarn in half! Simply tie a knot in the middle, thread one half of the yarn strand through a hole in one row, and the other half through the neighbor hole in the other row.
Not pictured: GLUE! whatever brand you prefer for sealing roots after using the rehair tool (I prefer Aleene's Tacky Glue)

GETTING STARTED:
Cut your lengths of yarn - the longest you can usually get your fiber is about 6" (12" total, since you fold it in half). So, cut a BUNCH of 12" segments (or however shorter).

>>NOTE!<< The following steps for splitting a piece of yarn in half is only necessary for G4 PONIES! Their plug holes are much smaller, and it's hard to fit a whole piece of yarn folded in half otherwise. With G1s (and possibly others), you can skip right to the folding-in-half-for-brushing stage...

Take one piece of yarn and twist it slightly in the middle to expose the segments, like so:

Gently separate the segments into two halves, with two segments per half:

Now you take your length of yarn, and fold it exactly in half, holding it firmly in the middle:

Take your bristle brush, and GENTLY and SLOWLY start to brush the yarn from tip to root. Only work your way up a couple millimeters at a time with each brush. You're only trying to untwist the fibers, so be gentle! If you pull too hard, the thin fibers will break, and you'll get a very short plug and unnecessary fiber loss.

This does produce a LOT of waste fluff, though! This is all the fluff from just ONE plug:

By the time you're done, you'll have a huge pile of fluff bigger than your pony, haha! Don't let it freak you out, though - this happens because when yarn is woven, it's comprised of loads of single-size fiber segments all twisted together at intervals. When you cut off a segment of yarn and brush it out from the middle, any fiber segments that aren't anchored right in the middle will be sloughed off - so it's just the ends of other fibers that you've cut.

Anyway, you now have one fluffy little fiber plug! Hooray! If you want floofy wavy mohair-like hair like Pinkie or Sundance up there, you can go ahead and root it!

If you want silky-smooth hair like Lyra up there, though, go ahead and run your hair straightener set on LOW over it once, give it a brush, then maybe straighten over it once again- It's like TOTAL MAGIC, now it's super soft and silky, like this:

Now just pick it up in the middle with your rehair tool...

...and pop it in!

Now look at that long silky hair plug!

fluttershy: "yay."

After you've filled in all the plug holes, coat the roots inside the head in a generous helping of glue, then let it dry for 24 hours. Once it's dry, you can brush and style as you like! I should note, though, the un-straightened wavy yarn hair isn't very brushable - it's just too thick! It can, however, be teased, styled, separated, and combed through with your fingers...

Making the tail uses pretty much the same method: Tie a bunch of strands together as if you were making a normal nylon tail, then just brush 'em out! (Note, you don't have to split the yarn strands in half before tying them together, though.) Easy peasy~

I hope you all enjoyed the tutorial! If you wind up using this method to rehair any ponies, please show me, I'd love to see what you make!!
 :frolic:

<3 Anyway, have a good one!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:57:35 AM by SilkSpindle »
Formerly SilkSpindle!

Offline Pony Adventures

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • IRL Pony Adventures
Re: PHOTO TUTORIAL -- Yarn fiber rehairing! [VERY pic heavy!!]
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:21:36 AM »
WOW! :shocked: Thanks for the info. Those rehairs look absolutely marvelous!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login|You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login|You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:49:41 AM »
these are fantastic I might give it a try one day.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline nollilols

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:57:29 AM »
I love how it looks straightened. I love it both ways, but I love the smoothness of the straightened version. I may give this a go at some point.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »
Ya know what, I have a box of nan's old yarn under the bed I had no idea what to do with.... Look out bald ponies, you're gettin' yarn haired!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Squarepeg.

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 01:31:48 PM »
Straithened yarn hair looks really nice, and I assume it's much cheaper than dollyrair etc. I think I might try this :)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+195)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »
Lovely work!!  I will have to try the straight approach!  Thank you so much for taking the time and being willing to share <3  Do you mind if I add this to the Arena Tutorial stickies?

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
Gorgeous! Thanks for all the info :)

Offline PoniesYeah

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • Tamisery
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 03:54:27 PM »
sonuva... now I gotta think up a new custom! and may plate is already so so full.
G D it your charging such a great price too. You can expect my PM at some point.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 04:01:05 PM »
Thanks for the tutorial! I will surely try this at some point :D

Online Roogna

• Trade Count: (+576)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »
awesome - will have to try!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tinrobo

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • clockwork robo pony *click* *whirr*
    • Tinrobo's Etsy Shop
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
Bookmarking this for later, thank you for sharing your technique!

(can't get over how stunning that Lyra looks! <3)

Offline DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Disney Princess and Pony Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 06:18:22 PM »
Thank you so much for doing this! I will definitely bookmark this page :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | For Trade | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline SilkSpunTopic starter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • *wiggles*
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 09:29:10 PM »
Straithened yarn hair looks really nice, and I assume it's much cheaper than dollyrair etc. I think I might try this :)
It's definitely cheaper! A ball of the yarn I like to use (bernat satin, just regular soft acrylic yarn) is only about $4 per ball, and you could probably rehair a dozen g4s just with that. I guess the only downside is that it's more time consuming, since all that time cutting, splitting yarn, brushing, and straightening each individual plug does take a while.

Lovely work!!  I will have to try the straight approach!  Thank you so much for taking the time and being willing to share <3  Do you mind if I add this to the Arena Tutorial stickies?
You definitely can! :lol: As long as that doesn't make it move off this board, since then I don't think too many people would see it...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:30:52 PM by SilkSpindle »
Formerly SilkSpindle!

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 05:24:08 AM »
This is a great tutorial! Thanks for making it. Now I'm not only trying to come up with a custom to try it on, I'm also thinking about what else around here needs some faux fur . . .  :lol:
Want list: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login